HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » This message was self-del...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:12 PM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (fleur-de-lisa) on Thu Jul 11, 2013, 05:54 PM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

12 replies, 1779 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply This message was self-deleted by its author (Original post)
fleur-de-lisa Apr 2013 OP
Hippo_Tron Apr 2013 #1
fleur-de-lisa Apr 2013 #2
Hippo_Tron Apr 2013 #3
fleur-de-lisa Apr 2013 #5
tabbycat31 Apr 2013 #4
fleur-de-lisa Apr 2013 #6
premium Apr 2013 #9
Laf.La.Dem. Apr 2013 #7
fleur-de-lisa Apr 2013 #8
illegaloperation Apr 2013 #10
fleur-de-lisa Apr 2013 #11
juajen Apr 2013 #12

Response to fleur-de-lisa (Original post)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:27 PM

1. She's in a tight spot and her answer on gay marriage was far better than Mark Pryor's

She's basically said that her constituents are wrong, but as their elected representative she has to respect their wishes. Obama did the exact same thing until 2012 when he determined it was politically safe for him to change his stance. I suspect she changes it as soon as the election is over.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Hippo_Tron (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:36 PM

2. I appreciate your sentiments, Hippo . . .

but that's not good enough for me. She is supposed to be a leader . . . well, freaking LEAD!

I'm tired of politicians whose only interest is re-election. If she won't vote per her beliefs, then I won't vote for her. At least I will threaten to not vote for her . . . in all likelihood, if she has a D opponent during the next cycle, he/she would be far worse than Landrieu.

But that will not stop me from being vocal about her voting record, or any other politician's, for that matter.

Response to fleur-de-lisa (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:58 PM

3. And I appreciate yours, I just pick my battles...

Louisiana is more Republican than it has ever been in our nation's history, save for reconstruction which doesn't really count. There wasn't a single Democrat on the ballot for major statewide office in 2011. It has essentially gone the way that South Carolina did about a decade and a half ago where there basically is no Democratic Party outside the major cities, and the only way to win a statewide election as a Democrat is to be a political institution like Fritz Hollings was.

I'm all for being vocal about someone's record and holding leaders accountable. But at the end of the day, reality is reality. Landrieu is the only Democrat on the face of the planet who could possibly win that Senate seat next year. And even her chances are slightly more than 50/50 at best right now.

Response to Hippo_Tron (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 04:03 PM

5. I don't disagree with your analysis, but . . .

I will still continue to hold her feet to the fire. It's either that or I have to leave the state. My conscience will not allow me to do otherwise.

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 04:03 PM

4. her job is to represent her constituents

And vote accordingly.

(I've only seen this at the state level but I'm sure it happens at the federal level too). On some issues, the staffers actually have a tally sheet and keep track of all of the constituent calls and emails on an issue for yes/no. If 70% of the calls are 'yes' on a particular issue, then it is likely that the legislator will vote yes.

And who will you vote for? Will you write someone in or stay home?

Response to tabbycat31 (Reply #4)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 04:06 PM

6. As I stated in comment #2 above . . .

"At least I will threaten to not vote for her . . . in all likelihood, if she has a D opponent during the next cycle, he/she would be far worse than Landrieu."

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 04:25 PM

9. Absolutely, be vocal about her voting record,

but, you're wrong about her voting her beliefs, she represents the people of LA, not her beliefs, so she's correct, she may believe that her constituents are wrong about marriage equality, but if her constituents don't want her to vote that way, then she is obligated to vote the way the people want her to vote.

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 04:07 PM

7. I also sent Mary Landrieu a "thank you" note for her background check vote.

I will vote for Mary Landrieu (D)!!!
The "D" next to her name - in Louisiana - is good enough for me.

We can not have another Vitter

Response to Laf.La.Dem. (Reply #7)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 04:13 PM

8. Yeah, Diaper Dave is a disgrace . . .

I send him nasty emails all the time, as well Mary.

Unless there is a better alternative, I will probably vote for Landrieu again too.

Know anyone who wants to challenge her? Although I am originally from the deep south, I used to live in a more progressive state a few years back and it kills me to have such crappy choices in Democrats!

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 08:06 PM

10. 2014 election

What's Sen. Landrieu chance at winning re-election in 2014?

Obama actually lose Louisiana by a smaller margin in 2012 than in 2008.

Of cause 2014 is not a presidential year.

Response to illegaloperation (Reply #10)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 08:32 PM

11. This article from December notes that it's 50/50 . . .

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/12/sen_mary_landrieu_re-election.html

But she has tremendous name recognition because of her brother and father. And the article assumes that PBO would be a drag on her campaign because (I think), they assumed there would be backlash against the re-election of the President, which has not happened. So, I think her chances are pretty decent, unless a really strong Dem runs against her. Please, someone in the D camp run against her! She is a D in name only! Bobby Jindal is a joke at this point given his recent tax reform debacle and the 'We can't be the stupid party anymore' speech. So who knows what fool the pubbies will put forth, but whoever, he/she will stand a good chance against Landrieu.

Louisiana's Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu is only 50-50 to win a fourth term in 2014, according to ratings posted by the Capitol Hill website Roll Call.

"The red hue of the Pelican State in recent presidential elections means 2014 is going to be a close race. And President Barack Obama's re-election was probably to the detriment of Landrieu's political future," the site says in an early handicapping of the next election cycle.

This is nothing new for Landrieu, who has been listed among "the most vulnerable Democrats" in her previous re-election bids.

The unknown at this point is who will emerge as her Republican challenger. Early speculation includes some of the state's GOP House members and even Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal, who is barred by law from seeking re-election when his second term expires in 2015. But Jindal's future calculations are also complicated by interest in the 2016 presidential race.

Roll Call says Rep. "Bill Cassidy is seen in Louisiana GOP circles as best-suited to challenge and beat the incumbent. He's viewed as the 'consensus candidate,' one Louisiana Republican operative said.

"But an X factor could be Republican Rep. Jeff Landry, who is seen as a possible contender as well.

"The tea-party-backed lawmaker is locked in a runoff election battle with Rep. Charles Boustany Jr. that will be held Dec. 8."

Landrieu, who has never won more than 52 percent of the vote in her previous three Senate runs, is among six Democrats listed in Roll Call's "toss-up" category that also includes Arkansas Sen. Mark Pryor, Alaska's Mark Begich, North Carolina's Kay Hagan, South Dakota's Tim Johnson and West Virginia's Jay Rockefeller, who would be seeking a sixth term.

Landrieu was first elected in 1996 with barely more than 50 percent of the vote, edging former state Rep. Wood Jenkins by 5,788 votes with 1.7 million ballots cast. She bested Suzanne Haik Terrell with 52 percent of the vote in 2002 and state Treasurer John Kennedy, a recent convert to the GOP, by that same margin in 2008.

The only current statewide-elected Democrat in Louisiana, Landrieu's brother, Mitch, is the current mayor of New Orleans. Her father, Moon Landrieu, was the city's mayor from 1970 to 1978, and also served as U.S. secretary of Housing and Urban Development under President Jimmy Carter.

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 12:30 AM

12. Love your "fleur-de-lisa" Very clever.

I was actually surprised that she voted for the bill. She often disappoints me with her votes; however, she has a difficult time in this red state holding onto a dem senate seat. I write her frequently.