HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Kansas Bill Would Protect...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:23 AM

Kansas Bill Would Protect Doctors Who Mislead Women About Their Pregnancies

ThinkProgress
The Kansas Senate Judiciary Committee recommended a bill yesterday that would effectively allow doctors to lie or withhold information about debilitating genetic conditions or birth defects in order to influence womenís decisions about their pregnancies.

The proposal was included as a provision in an omnibus anti-abortion bill last year, but was so controversial that it ending up being submitted as a standalone bill in this cycle, according to Kansas NOW lobbyist Elise Higgins. Despite Kansasís dismal reproductive rights record, Kansas legislators have already introduced over 90 pages of anti-choice legislation in 2013.

The women need to terminate their relationship with any doctor that agrees.

I'm wondering how this will play out with insurance companies? More importantly, where does the AMA stand on this and states interfering in the practice of medicine?

7 replies, 924 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Kansas Bill Would Protect Doctors Who Mislead Women About Their Pregnancies (Original post)
LiberalFighter Feb 2013 OP
leftynyc Feb 2013 #1
atreides1 Feb 2013 #2
HockeyMom Feb 2013 #3
Zoeisright Feb 2013 #4
Proud Liberal Dem Feb 2013 #5
LiberalFighter Feb 2013 #6
madinmaryland Feb 2013 #7

Response to LiberalFighter (Original post)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:28 AM

1. That wont stop the AMA

from yanking the license for unethical behavior. The doctors answer to several authorities here and any doctor who agrees with this should have all women patients taken away from them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:41 AM

2. Go figure

So a group of fanatical religious assbags are now advocates for breaking one of their precious Commandments, in order to force women to follow a command that was created by men, and not by God!

And Christians keep wondering why they get slammed?

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:48 AM

3. Ectopic pregnancy

So the doctor could legally lie about that so as to not perform an "abortion"?

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:26 PM

4. That violates every precept of medical ethics.

Autonomy, or the right to make informed decisions about your own body, is paramount. These fucking "doctors" are also violating the principles of informed consent, justice, beneficence, and non-malificence.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 03:23 PM

5. That's what I keep wondering when I hear about these kind of bills

I keep wondering why rank-and-file doctors or at least the AMA and other medical organizations aren't raising holy hell over these kind of laws written by a bunch of politicians- few who have any experience in the practice of medicine- that tell them how to do their jobs, even when it is clearly not in the best interests of their patients. For a party that rails like there's no tomorrow about inserting government between patients and their doctors (not that that's what health care reform even does), they seem awfully eager to insert government between patients and their doctors themselves, particularly when the patients happen to be a woman and especially pregnant ones!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 03:26 PM

6. I'm wondering what medical legislation is geared towards men?

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 06:34 PM

7. So they want to legalize malpractice??

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread