HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » I'm wondering if there sh...

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:04 PM

I'm wondering if there should be a march on the Supreme Court?

Or a message sent over and over along the line of "Racists don't belong on the Supreme Court"

17 replies, 1268 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply I'm wondering if there should be a march on the Supreme Court? (Original post)
LiberalFighter Feb 2013 OP
elleng Feb 2013 #1
TreasonousBastard Feb 2013 #2
daybranch Feb 2013 #6
elleng Feb 2013 #7
Lint Head Feb 2013 #3
BlueDemKev Mar 2013 #12
RobertEarl Feb 2013 #4
jberryhill Feb 2013 #5
elleng Feb 2013 #8
TexasTowelie Feb 2013 #9
avebury Mar 2013 #15
jimmy the one Feb 2013 #10
Bake Mar 2013 #13
jimmy the one Mar 2013 #16
davidpdx Mar 2013 #11
Hippo_Tron Mar 2013 #14
Mz Pip Mar 2013 #17

Response to LiberalFighter (Original post)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:10 PM

1. Useless and foolish, imo.

All our efforts should be toward turning Congress BLUE.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:19 PM

2. Truer words...

Courts are notorious for dismissing public displays of public opinion and judges consider lawyers' briefs, not public trends or opinion.

Every advocacy organization I've belonged to tries to affect elections, not courts, and if they have an interest in a particular case will try to file an amicus brief, not picket the court.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:44 PM

6. our efforts should be turned towardsa making Confgress accountable to the voters -blue or red

At the present time the repugnutsi various state legislatures have Gerrymandered the states to the extent that they undeservedly have the majority in the House of Representatives.
It is clear that this Gerrymandering puts them outside of any accountability to the citizens and therefore eager and able to help the one percent no matter the effect on our nation in exchange for the money offered.
If you want to turn it blue, concentrate your efforts whereit will do the most good and that is where the problems are most obvious. Here in Ohio 47 percent for for a democrat for the House and 51 percent voted for a republican. Yet we have 4 democrats and 12 republicans elected due to Gerrymandering primarily. We are now organizing to fight this in Ohio which could possibly yield in all likelihood at least 3 or 4 more democrats in the House. This would be more likely a bigger pickup than campaigning hard for the party. if you are willing to help us, let us know. Speak to everyone loud and clear about this and when we get this on the ballot , those of you in safe democratic districts or safe republican districts should come and help us canvass and make phone calls. We are doing this because stopping Gerrymandering is the American thing to do and look what failure to stop it is doing now to the country.

Reply to this post

Response to daybranch (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:48 PM

7. Absolutely, and if I were in OH, I'd be with you.

Have relatives there, but most of them appear to be repug.

Post about your efforts in the Ohio forum, if you haven't done so already.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:19 PM

3. I think we should and demand Scalia resign.

He is not an objective jurist. Thomas and Roberts should go too but Scalia has openly admitted racism with his own words. The iron is hot. Strike now.

Reply to this post

Response to Lint Head (Reply #3)

Fri Mar 1, 2013, 03:18 PM

12. Scalia will die before he steps down when a Democrat is in the White House.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:45 PM

4. Yes

There should be a million people show up.

We need several resignations and Obama appointed justices in their place.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:49 PM

5. Counterproductive

In the face of that sort if thing, judges will go out of their way to demonstrate they aren't influenced by it.

Reply to this post

Response to jberryhill (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:50 PM

8. And many of them won't even SEE it.

Justice Ginsburg said, recently, that due to the location of her chambers, she never sees such. Justice Sotomayor (or Kagen), being situated in the front of the building, do so.

Reply to this post

Response to jberryhill (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 05:00 AM

9. Justice is blind

and for the RATS (Roberts, Alito, Thomas & Scalia) cold-hearted too.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #9)

Fri Mar 1, 2013, 09:17 PM

15. RATS - that is a great way to refer to them! nt

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 03:40 PM

10. I done did that scotus march

lib ftr: I'm wondering if there should be a march on the Supreme Court? .. Or a message sent over and over along the line of "Racists don't belong on the Supreme Court

I already done did that once, after the bush/gore decision in winter 2000; went to DC (back to DC I was born there), & took part in 'voters march' where we protested scalia's decision to stop the recount, & subsequent selection of gwbush, hail to the thief.

We marched from the white house to the capitol (about a mile), down pennsy ave & constitution ave maybe, monument looming over us, & then got to supreme court (just behind capitol bldg) & marched couple times around it (not that big actually) chanting 'shame on the court, shame on the court' a hundred times, but nobody that I saw looked out, I doubt any of the justices were even there. Chanting around a graveyard.
Didn't do any good whatsoever. Maybe made a ten second newsreel that evening & next morning in DC area which likely made watching republicans giggle with glee, and we weren't that large a group anyway, maybe a thousand - but a lot of passing cars honked their horns a lot to lift our spirits on the 'avenues'.

You'd need get the march to 50,000 or so, but the justices wouldn't be there they'd be 'evacuated for their own safety', & right & limbaugh would spin it as 'insurrectionist' like the pigs they are.

PS: I carried my own homemade sign 'we hold the supreme court5, in contempt'.

think we should and demand Scalia resign. He is not an objective jurist. Thomas and Roberts should go too but Scalia has openly admitted racism with his own words.

Won't work either, scalia will likely try to make it to 2017 & he can't be dismissed unless he becomes incapacitated due infirmity etc.. the better idea is to impeach thomas if that's possible, he's had so many conflicts of interest, what with his white bimbo wife & her associations with far right groups.
I think a far better chance to impeach thomas the 'mute', hasn't said a contributing word in deliberations on scotus for 6 years now, clearly intimidated by all that 'high level courtroom stuff' that's going on, he's malingering & shirking his duty, as well as the conflicts of interest.
A govt employee anywhere else of his stature would be fired for incompetence or similar.

Reply to this post

Response to jimmy the one (Reply #10)

Fri Mar 1, 2013, 08:15 PM

13. Whoa there, big fella!

I'm no fan of Clarence Thomas, and I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes stick my foot in my mouth. But the fact that he's married to a white woman (and beleive me, I'm no fan of hers either) ain't grounds to impeach Slappy. I'm sure that's not what you meant to say. It just came out that way, right?

Bake

Reply to this post

Response to Bake (Reply #13)

Sat Mar 2, 2013, 10:04 AM

16. no regrets, bake

bake: .. the fact that he's married to a white woman (and beleive me, I'm no fan of hers either) ain't grounds to impeach Slappy. I'm sure that's not what you meant to say. It just came out that way, right?

No it came out as I intended it, bake, & I didn't mean it as any slur in general - presumably against interracial marriage which I have no problem with. Thomas married a white lady who associates with far right groups & ideology, imo is a bimbo, which portrays thomas as an oreo cookie (uh oh, did I do it again?). Well forgive me for thinking, but he is, & I think most blacks would agree.
Thomas is incompetent in his job, he's reached his 'level of incompetency' in the peter principle, no doubt. He hasn't said a word in court deliberations for 6 years now, likely cowered by the other justices opinions, & is setting new records for silence each passing day. He is scalia's puppet, voting as scalia does & aping his reasoning... I don't care for scalia, thomas nor alito.

Scalia has tho, with his 'voting rights' opinions of late, convinced me there is a god. At least one in human form who considers himself one.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 1, 2013, 08:28 AM

11. The right wingers are tone deaf, so it wouldn't do any good

It's probably from all their mental masturbation.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 1, 2013, 08:32 PM

14. Part of the problem is that the Solicitor General didn't make the case about deference very strongly

The question before the court isn't whether or not Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act is needed to protect the voting rights of minorities. It's about whether or not Section 2 of the 15th Amendment gives congress the right to determine whether or not Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act is needed to protect the voting rights of minorities.

But instead of discussing that, the Solicitor General played right into Scalia and Roberts' stupid questions about whether or not southerners are more racist than northerners. Whether they are or not is irrelevant. Section 5 should stand because congress has the constitutional authority to enact it, or it should be struck down because they do not. And IMO the answer is very much the former. The framers of the 15th amendment included Section 2 for a reason.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 2, 2013, 10:54 AM

17. Pointless

There are protests outside SCOTUS all the time. They really don't need to be concerned about public opinion.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread