HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Bob Woodward has lost it....

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 04:18 PM

Bob Woodward has lost it. He wants Obama to ignore federal law because its just a "piece of paper"

Here's what this hack said today on Morning Joe:

"Can you imagine Ronald Reagan sitting there and saying 'Oh, by the way, I can't do this because of some budget document?'" Woodward said Wednesday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

"Or George W. Bush saying, 'You know, I'm not going to invade Iraq because I can't get the aircraft carriers I need' or even Bill Clinton saying, 'You know, I'm not going to attack Saddam Hussein's intelligence headquarters,' as he did when Clinton was president because of some budget document?" Woodward added. "Under the Constitution, the president is commander-in-chief and employs the force. And so we now have the president going out because of this piece of paper and this agreement, I can't do what I need to do to protect the country. That's a kind of madness that I haven't seen in a long time."

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/bob-woodward-blasts-obama-madness-88160.html

There's some "madness" on display, all right, but I don't think it's coming from the White House.

In this case, Woodward is outraged because the deep sequester cuts to the Pentagon have interfered with the deployment of the U.S.S. Harry Truman, which will remain stateside due to budget constraints.

For Woodward, there's no reason for the president to be limited by a "piece of paper" or "some budget document." What the journalist is referring to, however, is a little something known as the current law of the United States.

In other words, Bob Woodward -- who used to go after presidents for breaking the law -- went on national television this morning to condemn a sitting president for not ignoring federal law.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/02/27/17117597-woodward-its-madness-for-obama-to-follow-federal-law

12 replies, 2205 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bob Woodward has lost it. He wants Obama to ignore federal law because its just a "piece of paper" (Original post)
Cali_Democrat Feb 2013 OP
RedSpartan Feb 2013 #1
Lasher Feb 2013 #2
Lint Head Feb 2013 #3
Downtown Hound Feb 2013 #4
Drunken Irishman Feb 2013 #5
Babel_17 Feb 2013 #6
Cali_Democrat Feb 2013 #12
intheflow Feb 2013 #7
Amonester Feb 2013 #8
TomCADem Feb 2013 #9
Tippy Feb 2013 #11
Gabby Hayes Feb 2013 #10

Response to Cali_Democrat (Original post)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 04:27 PM

1. I seem to recall Dubya saying

that the Constitution was just a damned piece of paper. Shows what intellectual level Woodward is operating at.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 04:28 PM

2. Why would Woodward care if the Truman remains homeported?

Honest question.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 04:33 PM

3. All the President's men was written on

paper too.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 05:08 PM

4. Actually Bob, I really wish Reagan, Bush, and Clinton had said all of those very things

It would have saved us all a lot of trouble.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 05:43 PM

5. Who needs the Constitution?

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 05:57 PM

6. "employs the force"

As others have pointed out, Woodward seems to be conflating the powers of the President with those of a Jedi master.

It's the level of midi-chlorians that you're born with, Bob! Sure, training helps, but even taking the oath of office of POTUS does not a Jedi master make.

Confused, he is.

Reply to this post

Response to Babel_17 (Reply #6)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:11 PM

12. LOL

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 07:35 PM

7. Wait. Was Bob Woodward actually on Nixon's side?

All this time I thought he was interested in reigning in abuse of executive power, but I guess All The President's Men was a hero-worship piece. Must re-read.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:04 AM

8. Woodward is losing his marbles.

Obviously losing his marbles.

Reply to this post

Response to Amonester (Reply #8)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:51 AM

9. The Budget Is Just A Piece of Paper?

Yeah, I am sure the House Republicans would let this one slide if President Obama simply starts ignoring congressional appropriations.

Reply to this post

Response to Amonester (Reply #8)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:24 AM

11. Agreed.....

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 07:20 AM

10. A Naval Intelligence agent in journalist's clothing

Suspicion about Woodward's selective reporting and his role in policy-making quietly dogged him for decades after Watergate. In recent years old hands like Russ Baker have begun to picture Woodward as an intelligence agent who infiltrated journalism and the United States government. It leads one to wonder if Woodward was also part of the Watergate and Iran Contra coverups. In any case it is time for him to lose his press card and White House privileges.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread