HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » In what cities do you thi...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 09:30 PM

In what cities do you think Obama won white evangelicals?

Kind of an interesting question that I started thinking about today. Here's a few where I think it happened:

NYC (The Williamsburg neighborhood is rather notable as an area where Obama won white evangelicals and Romney won Jews.)
Minneapolis (Where I live. All the white evangelicals I know personally are liberal.)
San Francisco
Austin
Seattle
Portland
Madison
Boston
Philadelphia
Denver
Salt Lake City (think the evangelicals there want to vote for a Mormon?)

16 replies, 1539 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to ButterflyBlood (Original post)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 09:58 PM

1. Thank you for this information.

I stand corrected about evangelicals.

Perhaps it really is only "End Timers", or people who believe that thing about the 2nd Coming, which isn't even in the Bible, btw, who were into pressuring GW into the War on Iraq. There's a documentary that says their religious PACs produced about 100,000 phone calls when GWB said something about Israel that they didn't like. Timonthy LeHaye made a boatload of money off of that Left Behind series, you know, and his network was likely involved in GWB's campaigns. I know they bankrolled some stuff at religious universities, which then became the staffing source for the Bush administration and for the Green Zone entrepreneurs/war profiteers in Iraq.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to patrice (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:08 PM

6. You are describing fundamentalists

Not all evangelicals are fundamentalists, and not all fundamentalists are necessarily evangelicals.

Reply to this post

Response to ButterflyBlood (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 01:21 AM

9. Actually if you want to be really technical, you can either be an evangelical or a fundamentalist

Though "evangelical" usually gets used to describe both, but evangelicals are not dispensationalists and fundamentalists are, strictly speaking.

Reply to this post

Response to Recursion (Reply #9)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 02:44 AM

10. Well in terms of polls, most of those would identify as "evangelical"

But if you compare them to the emergent church, or some of the more liberal charismatic ones, there's a night and day difference.

Similarly a lot of fundamentalists aren't really evangelical. Michele Bachmann for example is a Lutheran. Her radically conservative Lutheran sect bares no real similarities to mainstream Lutherans, but it's certainly not from the evangelical style of Protestantism.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:51 PM

2. Is there data for this? Because my vote would be "none." nt

Reply to this post

Response to geek tragedy (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:06 PM

3. "Evangelical" actually does include a lot of liberals

Not all of 'em are scary fundies.

Reply to this post

Response to Scootaloo (Reply #3)

4. Yes, evangelical != fundamentalist

And there are certain cities where if you live there, you obviously don't have a problem with gays.

Reply to this post

Response to ButterflyBlood (Reply #4)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 07:49 AM

14. Living in a certain city does not equate to acceptance of gay people. Sorry to say.

That is a silly premise. Absurd. Like claiming there are no racists in cities with lots of African Americans.

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #14)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:17 AM

16. Perhaps not, but think of the young, arts subculture coffee shop crowd

who are rebelling against the reactionary stances of fundamentalism or Catholicism. That's basically what all the white evangelicals are in certain cities, since there obviously isn't many fundamentalists there. How many Southern Baptists do you think live in San Francisco?

Reply to this post

5. Not all, but . . . nt

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 01:19 AM

8. Jimmy Carter, for instance (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to geek tragedy (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:13 PM

7. Well in 2008, don't have data for 12 unfortunately, Obama won 35% of white evangelicals in Minnesota

Now that's pretty far from a majority yes, but it's also higher than 1-in-3. And then consider the population distribution of the state and how it voted overall. It's pretty clear Obama didn't get near 35% of evangelicals in Michele Bachmann's district, so that has to be made up in Twin Cities.

I go to a pretty liberal evangelical church where almost everyone voted Obama, so it got me thinking. Also consider in actually fundamentalist churches the congregation was close to 100% McCain/Romney, so that means there has to be some pretty Democratic ones in converse to balance them out.

In Williamsburg, it's obvious that most evangelicals would be the artsy "hipster Jesus" types. This is an evangelical church in Williamsburg: http://northbrooklynvineyard.org Appears to consist mostly of hipster 20somethings and has an evening service at a bar.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 04:53 AM

11. Provincetown, Massachusetts, maybe?

I'm not sure how many evangelicals live there, but if there are any, I'm pretty sure they don't vote Republican.

(I stay near there every summer, and I KNOW Obama didn't do too well with the Guns'n'God crowd back in Dallas).

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 07:46 AM

13. Assuming folks are 'liberals' because they voted against a man who

is in what they see as a demonic cult is a bit much. Evangelicals do not like Mormonism anymore than they like Islam.
Got any figures for how they vote on races that do not include a Mormon? Congressional races? Propositions? No, of course you don't. Because those numbers say MN elects Bachmann using Evangelicals as her base. Don't they? Did she lose? Why not if they are all liberals?

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #13)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:14 AM

15. Well the exit poll I cited above is from 2008

And there was clearly not much anti-Mormon swing against Romney with any group, otherwise Obama would've won a lot more Southern states. Though I've never met an evangelical who thinks Mormonism is a "demonic cult", just a false religion. Though I've met plenty who also dislike it for its attitudes and views on alcohol, legalism, gays and women.

Whatever you said about Bachmann is meaningless as her district does not include any part of Minneapolis (and if it did, she would never ever get elected.)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread