HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Mother Of Aurora Shooting...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:56 AM

Mother Of Aurora Shooting Victim Confronts McCain At Town Hall

The mother of a victim of the Aurora, Colo. movie theater massacre confronted Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) at a town hall Wednesday, urging him to support a ban on assault weapons.

"My 24-year-old son Alex was murdered in a movie theater in Colorado," Caren Teves said, according to KTVK. "These assault rifles allow the shooter to fire many rounds without having to reload. These weapons do not belong on our streets."

McCain responded: “I can tell you right now you need some straight talk. That assault weapons ban will not pass the Congress of the United States." McCain added that he is working on legislation that would keep guns out of the wrong hands while preserving the Second Amendment.

-30-
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/mother-of-aurora-shooting-victim-confronts-mccain-at

--------------------------

McCain Defends Calling Constituent A Jerk: ‘Loosen Up’

At a town hall in Phoenix Wednesday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) said he doesn't regret calling a constituent a jerk at an event a day earlier.

The exchange occurred at a town hall Tuesday at the Sun Lakes community in Arizona, where a man pressed McCain on border security. "You said, 'Build the dang fence.' Where's the fence?" the man said. McCain responded that occasionally a "jerk" like him shows up at town halls.

At the event on Wednesday, KTVK asked McCain whether he regretted using that language. "Of course not," McCain said. "I call people jerks all the time. They call me a jerk all the time. That's what it's opposed to be about. It's supposed to be fun. Loosen up."

-30-

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/mccain-defends-calling-constituent-jerk-loosen-up

Both of the above articles originate here:
http://www.azfamily.com/news/McCain-responds-to-jerk-comment-at-town-hall-meeting-192141531.html

7 replies, 1371 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mother Of Aurora Shooting Victim Confronts McCain At Town Hall (Original post)
DonViejo Feb 2013 OP
Journeyman Feb 2013 #1
Jeff In Milwaukee Feb 2013 #2
Cali_Democrat Feb 2013 #3
Mike Daniels Feb 2013 #4
Arkana Feb 2013 #5
NYC Liberal Feb 2013 #6
Adenoid_Hynkel Feb 2013 #7

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:40 PM

1. I suspect McCain's "halfheimers" has begun to go "alz" in . . .

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Journeyman (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:45 PM

2. I agree...

Over the past five years, his behavior has become erratic and inexplicable.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:28 PM

3. McCain to mother of shooting victim: “I can tell you right now you need some straight talk"

Hey John, take your straight talk express and shove it up your ass.

FUCK YOU!!!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:35 PM

4. McCain is a jerk but I liked his response to some clown saying there was no fence...

McCain turns around, points at a diagram/image of the border area, references the fence area and says something along the lines of "O.K. I guess this here is a banana" Now this banana covers...."

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:32 PM

5. Well, McCain was right to call that guy a jerk

but to tell that grieving mother that she needed some "straight talk" is the most callous fucking thing I think I've ever heard, and I heard Mitt Romney dismiss half the country as nothing more than parasites.

Reply to this post

Response to Arkana (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:43 AM

6. Almost as bad as Bush asking the mother of a soldier killed in Iraq...

"How do you know his life would have been good?" in response to her saying that her son's "life motto" was life is good.

As the commander in chief strode briskly toward her, it seemed to Dolores that he was trying to intimidate her. "He came marching in and got right in my face...eyeball to eyeball, and said, 'I'm George Bush, the president of the United States, and I understand you have something to say to me in private.'"

Dolores tried to give Bush a sense of what type of person Erik had been. She described her son as a "comedian" whose favorite saying was, "Life is good." The president replied, "How do you know his life would have been good?"

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x479658

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 03:34 AM

7. Straight talk - try saying that with a straight face

whatever admirable qualities McCain showed waaaay back in 2000 have been washed away by a sea of Dubya hugs, Palin picks and Hagel obstructing

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread