HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » TPM Editorís Blog - Senio...

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 07:50 PM

TPM Editorís Blog - Seniors Take Note

BRIAN BEUTLER FEBRUARY 15, 2013, 6:33 PM 2523

Iím not sure House Republicans realized how large an error they made by kidnapping and then releasing the debt limit earlier this year. By admitting their bluff, they effectively confessed to having misled conservative members, and those members needed to be mollified.

That created a new problem: How could they appease conservatives while lacking the power to satisfy any of their substantive demands? So they offered up grandiose symbolism: A raincheck on the brinksmanship (the current fight over the sequester) and a promise to pass a budget that would wipe out the deficit in 10 years if enacted.

But itís not clear that they counted their votes, or considered the budget math when they made that promise. ďWe are saying a 10-year balance ó thatís tougher than the last Ryan budget,Ē Rep. Mike Simpson (R-ID), a former Budget Committee member told Politico.

ďThere could be a significant number of Republicans that say, ĎIím not going there because it would be too dramatic.í I have said to my constituents, nobody is talking about changing Social Security and Medicare if youíre 55 years or over.í Iíve been selling it for three or four years that way. So have many other members. Well, to balance in 10, that 55 years is going to move up to 58, 59, 60. It makes us look like weíre going back on what we were telling people when we were trying to sell this.

more
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2013/02/seniors_take_note.php?ref=fpblg

1 replies, 795 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply TPM Editorís Blog - Seniors Take Note (Original post)
DonViejo Feb 2013 OP
Cha Feb 2013 #1

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 09:27 PM

1. Thanks DonViejo

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread