HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Chili Peppers give it awa...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 01:55 AM

Chili Peppers give it away for Obama

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are playing a free concert for volunteers working on the presidentís re-election campaign in Ohio, the Plain Dealer reports:

The Los Angeles-based group will perform a free concert for Obama campaign workers at the House of Blues in Cleveland Sunday afternoon, following the band's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum Saturday night.

The group, which supports President Barack Obama, saw giving a free concert as a way to help him, said an Obama campaign official in Ohio.

But to get in the concert, you must be willing to work for the Obama campaign this week by volunteering at any Northeast Ohio phone bank. A link was activated Monday night allowing people to volunteer. Tickets are limited.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2012/04/chili-peppers-give-it-away-for-obama-120150.html

17 replies, 2069 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Tx4obama (Original post)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 02:37 AM

1. I never thought of them like that as big Republican supporters... n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to OccupyTheIRS (Reply #1)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 04:01 AM

3. as big Republican supporters?

What are you talking about?

Reply to this post

Response to DesertRat (Reply #3)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 01:08 PM

7. Obama is the biggest Republican since Bush. It was sarcasm n/t

Reply to this post

Response to OccupyTheIRS (Reply #7)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 02:07 PM

8. Wow. If your view represents OWS, it's clear that the whole organization is based on something

that's not true. Obama is nothing like Bush/Republicans. Obama, unlike the Repubs., want to let the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy expire. He also wants to pass the Buffet Rule. Ever heard of it?

Reply to this post

Response to jenmito (Reply #8)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 03:19 PM

9. Sure, he says everything in the world that sounds good.

Nothing like Bush? Why didn't the Bush tax cuts get axed during the democratic majority? Did it even come up? Is that all it takes for people to believe in him, for him to say he "wants to do something"? He's almost as big of a puppet for the rich as Bush was. Has the military budget been trimmed? Just as much money is funneling up to the military industrial complex as before. He never had any intention of cutting military spending, or even trying. End the wars? Not only did they not get ended, he started bombing other countries also and ramped up Afghanistan. Has education funding increased? Have taxes? We have new corporate welfare disasters. We have the poor rotting in the streets. What significant changes have been made? Sure, he's done a few minor things to placate us, just like Bush did a few tiny things we are all proud of, like expanding AIDS research and treatment, and No Child Left behind. But as a whole, Bush's and Obama's presidencies have both been one corporate welfare disaster after another while the poor rot, the schools fail and tax rates stay the same.

Reply to this post

Response to OccupyTheIRS (Reply #9)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 04:00 PM

10. Wow, you have NOT done your homework.

Last edited Wed Apr 11, 2012, 07:00 PM - Edit history (1)

Here's a few to start ya off with...

1) Yes, the Bush tax cuts did come up. The republicans held the unemployment benefits extension hostage until the dems agreed to temporarily extend the Bush tax cuts.

2) Yes, Obama has trimmed the military budget.

3) The war in Iraq HAS ended.
And go back and see what Obama said during the 2008 campaign regarding AFGHANISTAN - he ALWAYS said we would increase the troops there in AFGHANISTAN and fight the war there, which by the way is now ending and the troops are scheduled to come home.

as for the rest of your misinformation I'm sure you know how to use Google search to go find all the FACTS.

Edited to add the word: AFGHANISTAN
I mistakenly omitted it originally and had to add it to make my comment clear and factual.

Reply to this post

Response to Tx4obama (Reply #10)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 04:55 PM

11. LOL! you call that a budget cut?

You know how much it cut? one per-stinking-cent. Six billion dollars. They're probably going to spend it on more corporate welfare instead of increasing education funding or helping the people displaced from their homes.

Funny you should mention what Obama said during the campaign, that he would pull all combat troops from Iraq within 16 months. Please take a moment while I laugh my head off. Is he a liar or does he just like making promises he can't keep? And he didn't mention anything during the campaign about starting combat operations in the Congo, or that he would begin bombing Libya. I hope they melt his Nobel peace prize down into something useful. His presidency is just another continuation of illegal, expensive and unfunded wars.

What about Guantanamo bay? haha.

What about extrajudicial retention? snicker.

What about wiretapping? Expanded the program.

Cap and trade? LOL.

School funding?

Corporate welfare? did more.

Reply to this post

Response to OccupyTheIRS (Reply #11)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 05:08 PM

12. LOL - I stopped reading your comment at the GITMO part ...

I have no desire to further discuss anything with anyone that doesn't even know the FACTS about GITMO.

The reason GITMO is still open is because of CONGRESS, not Obama.

Read the updates, from the bottom of the page upwards here: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/promise/177/close-the-guantanamo-bay-detention-center/

Note: Regarding Politifact ratings: An important point about Obameter ratings: A Promise Broken rating does not necessarily constitute failure or mean that Obama failed to be an advocate for his promises. He could exert tremendous effort to fulfill any given promise but it could still die because of opposition in Congress. <SNIP> http://www.politifact.com/about/

Have a nice day

Reply to this post

Response to Tx4obama (Reply #12)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 05:27 PM

13. Oh, okay, yeah. Executive orders can't do a thing.

But they can expand the wiretapping program! Yee-haw!

Your response essentially amounted to "La-la-la!!! I can't hear you!"

Reply to this post

Response to OccupyTheIRS (Reply #13)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 05:28 PM

14. Your response shows me that you didn't read all the GITMO updates regarding Congress.

Ciao

Reply to this post

Response to Tx4obama (Reply #14)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 06:56 PM

15. Thank you for knocking down every uninformed talking point that poster wrote. You saved me a lot of

time and energy. You stated facts that can't be refuted. Thanks again!

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 02:57 AM

2. Listening to Californication right now!

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 05:16 AM

4. I love the chili peppers!!

I hope they make their way to FL, I'm already signed up to volunteer for the Obama campaign here.

Reply to this post

Response to Obamacare (Reply #4)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 12:59 PM

6. too late they were in fla

about 2 weeks ago
i saw them in tampa and it was great
as a consolation prize i offer this
a front row fan taped it all and put it on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2A078D2357920FC3&feature=view_all

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 08:25 AM

5. Yay

seeing them in Pittsburgh in May. My favorite band.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 08:27 AM

16. Awesome.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 09:31 AM

17. Love the Peppers.

I have all their albums, but Californication and By The Way are my two favorites!

Not to say Mother's Milk, I'm With You, Stadium Arcadium, and Blood, Sugar, Sex Magik aren't great albums because they are!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread