HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Senate GOP blocks Hagel n...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 05:13 PM

Senate GOP blocks Hagel nomination 58-40

Senate Republicans in a 58-40 vote Thursday blocked former Sen. Chuck Hagel’s (R-Neb.) nomination as Defense secretary from proceeding to a final up-or-down vote.
Four Republicans — Sens. Susan Collins (Maine), Thad Cochran (Miss.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Mike Johanns (Neb.) joined 55 Democrats and Independents in supporting the nomination. Sixty votes were needed to cut off debate. Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) voted present.

Republicans said it was too early to clear Hagel’s nomination, but that they would consider allowing an up-or-down vote after the Senate returns to business on Feb. 25.
They blamed Democrats for rushing the vote and the White House for not providing additional information about Hagel’s compensation for paid speeches.

“The bottom line is it’s premature for Sen. Reid to cut off debate today,” said Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.). “I have a little personal experience with this — I was nominated and it took 87 days between the time I was nominated and the time I was confirmed.”

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/army/283279-senate-gop-blocks-hagel-nomination-in-vote#ixzz2KuiF65vB
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

6 replies, 1009 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Senate GOP blocks Hagel nomination 58-40 (Original post)
octoberlib Feb 2013 OP
DonViejo Feb 2013 #1
Tx4obama Feb 2013 #3
octoberlib Feb 2013 #2
Tx4obama Feb 2013 #4
Tx4obama Feb 2013 #5
octoberlib Feb 2013 #6

Response to octoberlib (Original post)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 05:20 PM

1. Someone's math is a little fuzzy...

55 Democrats + 4 Republicans = 59, not 58. The vote was 59 to 39, Orrin "Smarmy" Hatch abstained.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DonViejo (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 05:29 PM

3. Reid had to change his vote to a 'no' in order to be able to bring vote to the senate floor again

it's a procedural glitch.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 05:26 PM

2. Journalists are bad at math. I'm going to fix the title. Thank you! nt

Reply to this post

Response to octoberlib (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 05:29 PM

4. See comment #3.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 05:32 PM

5. The article is correct. The 'final' vote was 58-40 (Reid 'had to' change his vote to no)

Senate Republicans block Hagel nomination for Pentagon in 58-40 vote

Senate Republicans in a 58-40 vote Thursday blocked former Sen. Chuck Hagel’s (R-Neb.) nomination as Defense secretary from proceeding to a final up-or-down vote.

Four Republicans — Sens. Susan Collins (Maine), Thad Cochran (Miss.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Mike Johanns (Neb.) joined 55 Democrats and Independents in supporting the nomination. Sixty votes were needed to cut off debate.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) switched his vote from yes to no in a procedural move that allows him to bring up the nomination again. Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) voted present, and Sen. David Vitter (R-La.) missed the vote.

-snip-

http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/army/283279-senate-gop-blocks-hagel-nomination-in-vote#ixzz2KuiF65vB

Reply to this post

Response to Tx4obama (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 05:41 PM

6. Thank you nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread