HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » The hypocrisy of the Rep...

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 12:21 AM

The hypocrisy of the Republican Party...

You know, it's interesting watching the Republican narrative unfold over the years. They're the first group of people to rail against those lazy welfare abusers who leech off society and hardly ever work. They tell 'em to get a job. Buckle up and grow up, they say - become productive members of society.

So, what happens? Many do go get a job. Many get the most basic job they can find because it's the only job that will hire 'em. It's not a glamorous job and it often is filled with long hours and painstaking, finger-numbing work. These jobs often don't pay much, either, and many are working for less than the national minimum wage ... while others barely make minimum wage.

These are hardworking Americans who don't leech off the government and certainly aren't lazy. To Republicans, you'd think they would be considered heroes because they're actually working, getting up every day, going off to their job, spending hours doing things most would never want to do, and many don't even care to complain. They may have never been on welfare ... or been jobless all that long. They spend their entire lives working ... working ... and working.

Just what the Republicans want out of the lazy American welfare abusers who don't work and sit around their house all day watching TV, right?

Except these people aren't paid anything and struggle just making ends meet. It's not easy. Many can't afford to own a home or a car or support a family. They've never taken a vacation and their clothes are from an entirely different decade. But they work. They work just as hard as many who make millions of dollars a year - if not harder. They get up as the sun rises and don't pull into the driveway until the sun sets. Some have families ... others live alone. But they're hard workers ... they're doing everything right. They play by the rules. They file their taxes. They live their lives the way the Republican Party says they should lead their lives.

And yet, when the topic of raising the minimum wage arises, it's the Republicans who are the first to dismiss the idea. If these people want to make more money, they should go get a higher paying job! Isn't that the kicker? You see, with the Republicans, you're never good enough. If you don't work, you're lazy, and if you work, but aren't paid enough money, it's your own fault - you either neglected your education or you're too lazy to want more.

These are low paying jobs because they're for the lower rung of society.

That's what the Republicans believe. And yet, these are the people who often work the hardest and the longest. Many don't have the option to work toward a retirement and certainly there won't be a pension at the end of their career.

It's just average Americans who want to provide for themselves and their family - just as the Republicans demand Americans do!

My dad was one of these people. He never held a high paying job my entire life, but that didn't mean he worked any less. He worked as a clerk at a 7-Eleven when I was a kid in a very bad area of town and was nearly beaten to death during a beer run. He then worked as a window and door frame builder in a factory that was a working hazard and an employer who barely paid his employees anything. When my dad got the rare raise, it was almost always in cents - not dollars. We could never afford a new car, so, my parents were forced to buy from friends, their hand-me-downs. They never went on vacation or owned a home - we rented. They never bought new clothes or new toys for themselves.

Just like millions and millions of hardworking Americans.

They're not lazy. They're not bad people. They're the ones who make this country go. They're the waitress at the diner and the janitor at the school. They cook our food, sometimes clean our houses, build our infrastructural and countless other jobs that go unnoticed because they're not prosperous.

But Republicans dismiss them. They dismiss them because it's their choice - this is their lot in life and they must accept it or change it.

How awful of a mindset is that? "GET A JOB!" "Okay, I have one...but it pays crap!" "GET A BETTER JOB!"

We should reward those who work with a living wage. It's that simple. No one who works should be denied the basic right to a secure lifestyle. You'd think the party of responsibility would be all over that ... right?

3 replies, 1214 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply The hypocrisy of the Republican Party... (Original post)
Drunken Irishman Feb 2013 OP
Glamrock Feb 2013 #1
question everything Feb 2013 #2
savebigbird Feb 2013 #3

Response to Drunken Irishman (Original post)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 12:44 AM

1. From one drunken irishman to another,

You took the words right out of me mouth ya did. Although, yours were put forth succinctly and intelligently (mine were more along the lines of a profanity-laced screed....my poor wife). Anyhoo, I had a similar thought today reading Boehnor's response to upping the minimum wage. He thinks people should get up the ladder themselves. Which means going to school. I mean is there anyone left that promotes from within? With this in mind, my thought was, "But aren't you the pricks that are blocking legislation to help make schooling and student loans more affordable?" It boggles the mind.

P.s. You'll never guess what spellcheck suggests for Boehnor? Hint, rhymes with stoner. He he he. That cracked me up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 12:52 AM

2. Redundant. Republicans and hypocrisy

Start with Ron Paul who thinks that SS is unconstitutional, yet draw payments.

Look at all the people in red sates who want "government out of their pockets" yet happily collect food stamps and disability benefits.

Look at that idiot, several years ago, who told the President that government should not his Medicare.

And, of course, look at Rubio yesterday, praising government programs that helped him and his family yet does not think that others should benefit the same.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 04:58 AM

3. K & R

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread