HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Name a President (elected...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 04:28 PM

Name a President (elected -Ford doesn't count) that gave SOTU opposition response.

My source

I would submit that being selected as the person giving the response is not a big honor and would be better to avoid giving it.

5 replies, 755 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Name a President (elected -Ford doesn't count) that gave SOTU opposition response. (Original post)
LiberalFighter Feb 2013 OP
Scootaloo Feb 2013 #1
LiberalFighter Feb 2013 #2
muriel_volestrangler Feb 2013 #3
LiberalFighter Feb 2013 #4
BlueStater Feb 2013 #5

Response to LiberalFighter (Original post)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 04:29 PM

1. I think you linked to the wrong thing

I get a Snopes story about entering your PIN code in reverse

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Scootaloo (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 04:40 PM

2. Thanks for the alert. Corrected link.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 04:43 PM

3. Bill Clinton in 1985

The crowded Democratic rebuttals were not enough to crack President Reaganís hold on the public, though. So the party tried something radical in 1985. For the first time, someone not in Congress was part of the response: Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton. But Clinton was barely seen on camera. Instead, it was his job in a slick production to talk about a Democratic focus group and to introduce the Democratic leaders of Congress.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/daily/marco-rubio-s-state-of-the-union-rebuttal-may-be-a-tall-order-20130212

And G.H.W Bush was one of the many in 1968: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/sou_response.php

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:10 PM

4. Since Clinton did not give a response should he be included?

According to the article all that he did was provide responses from a focus group and introduce the leaders. Not exactly a SOTU opposition response. Also, they have him as Governor of Alaska. Last I knew, AK is for Alaska.

As for George HW I wonder how much speaking time he had when there were 16? Did they all talk or just provided background? The logistics don't suggest he did much speaking. Interesting that they had 2 from Wisconsin.

Republican members of Congress participated in a televised rebuttal to President Johnson's State of the Union Message. The program included comments from eight Republican senators and nine Representatives.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 08:04 PM

5. Poppy Bush, as part of a group, in 1968. N/T

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread