HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Message hidden by jury de...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:31 PM

Message hidden by jury decision

32 replies, 1884 views

Cannot reply in hidden threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply Message hidden by jury decision. (Original post)
Scott.K Feb 2013 OP
onehandle Feb 2013 #1
apocalypsehow Feb 2013 #11
SirRevolutionary Feb 2013 #2
Scott.K Feb 2013 #6
SirRevolutionary Feb 2013 #9
Zoeisright Feb 2013 #15
mac56 Feb 2013 #20
sinkingfeeling Feb 2013 #3
Teamster Jeff Feb 2013 #4
Cigar11 Feb 2013 #5
Scott.K Feb 2013 #8
TheCowsCameHome Feb 2013 #12
SirRevolutionary Feb 2013 #13
TheCowsCameHome Feb 2013 #7
we can do it Feb 2013 #10
Zoeisright Feb 2013 #14
Paladin Feb 2013 #16
jimmy the one Feb 2013 #17
Scott.K Feb 2013 #18
mac56 Feb 2013 #19
AlinPA Feb 2013 #25
SecularMotion Feb 2013 #26
thucythucy Feb 2013 #21
Scott.K Feb 2013 #24
thucythucy Feb 2013 #31
maxsolomon Feb 2013 #22
SecularMotion Feb 2013 #23
elleng Feb 2013 #27
Ptah Feb 2013 #28
HockeyMom Feb 2013 #29
Hoyt Feb 2013 #30
Sancho Feb 2013 #32

Response to Scott.K (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:33 PM

1. So much bullshit, so few tombstones.

Enjoy your stay.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to onehandle (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:08 PM

11. Ain't it the truth?

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:34 PM

2. Switzerland does not have an army

so there's that Also, just how many stories are there where "good guys" with guns saved people from bad guys with guns? Not too many I think.

Response to SirRevolutionary (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:45 PM

6. re Sir

Ever heard of the French, Polish, Dutch, Russian, Danish and even German resistance? And switzerland actually has an army. It is as modern as that of Germany and the U.S. Ever stop and think why it hasn't been invaded or been at war for nearly 100 years? Some one has to protect the Swiss banks. Ha. Any way google or bing, which ever I don't care, and see how many murders, rapes, robberies and what not have been stopped due to a civilian, not a police officer, carrying a weapon.

Response to Scott.K (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:03 PM

9. Wikipedia says...

Switzerland does not have a standing army. Period. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland Take it up with them.

As to why they haven't been invaded, do you think that every country in the World is eventually going to be a target of some invasion? Or they need guns to defend themselves from a possible dictatorship? That smells like talking points Fox news most likely gave to Ted Nugent for his SOTU appearance later tonight. The French, Polish and Russians all had armies and all fought Hitler. The resistance fought after he took over. Again, are you afraid someone, I don't know who might come and grab your guns to make things easier to turn us into WWII Germany?

And there isn't anywhere near the numbers of "good guys with guns" who saved innocent bystanders from bad guys with guns compared to regular men, women, and children who've lost their lives from them. Period. The fact is more guns = more death, there's no escaping logic.

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:28 PM

15. Try none, dumbass

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:54 PM

20. If there are as many as you claim

why don't you post links to six of them?

You seem pretty skilled at "copy and paste." Can you do it blindfolded?

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:38 PM

3. Correction. Politicians don't have to go to any lengths to make guns look evil

and dangerous. They are.

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:38 PM

4. Go get drunk and clean your guns

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:39 PM

5. I find it amazing ...

Conservatives are having trouble re-branding themselves ...

Could it possibly be the things that come out of their mouths?

Response to Cigar11 (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:03 PM

8. Don't hate me for what I love

I belong to no party. Each party has it's own corrupt assholes, some more than others. I have been shooting since I was 7, so what, thats 9 years for me? Any way, I belong to no party because eventually every one starts serving themselves instead of every one else. And for the person who told me to get drunk and clean my guns, I do, minus the drunkenness, every day, some times blindfolded, to make sure they and I are the top condition. And I would rather have my semi-auto, russian built 12 gauge combat shotgun in my hands ready to blow any one who tries to hurt me, my friends, my family or any one else, than wait for 5 minutes for a cop to get their, by which time I or some one else would be dead. Choose: you and possibly your family dead while waiting for police, or robber dead trying to kill you and family. It's not that hard to decide.

Response to Scott.K (Reply #8)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:13 PM

12. Buy yourself a copy of Playboy -

at 16 you'll get off for a lot less money, and not risk hurting yourself (and others) in the process.

Response to Scott.K (Reply #8)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:20 PM

13. You'd rather blow anyone who tries to hurt you?

Sounds like you need more time in English and Social Studies classes, and less time watching Fox News and playing COD. 20 points from Slitherin house.

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:49 PM

7. Order right now, and receive two toppings absolutely free.

Limited offer, please hurry.

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:07 PM

10. People who care more about pieces of metal designed only for killingthan kids do not deserve my time

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:27 PM

14. Congratulations!

You win the dumbass prize for the stupidest fucking post filled with the most repuke lies ever!!

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:46 PM

16. Enjoy Your Stay. (nt)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:52 PM

17. disinformation

scottK: Or that chicago, despite having the strictest gun laws in the nation, its murder rate has gone up 35%?

Huh? you haven't heard? handguns & guns are now legal in chicago, since 2010, nearing 3 years now, you can get handguns in chicago, thousands of new guns & foids, and whattaya know, the murder spiked.
.. but also note, last year 2012, chicago's violent crime rate fell ~10%, while it's murder rate spiked about 17%.

Or that Switzerland has almost, if any, mass shootings? Hmm... maybe its because all citizens are REQUIRED to own at least one gun?

This is disinformation, you are nowhere near up to speed on this issue; swiss people are not required to own a firearm, only about 27% of swiss households have a firearm in them. Their swiss home guard are issued an assault rifle when they enter at age 20 maybe, & can keep it when they leave, but while on active duty they must leave ammo for the rifle in a swiss armory. Swiss cannot carry concealed, only if they demonstrate need (no shall issue). They need permits. The swiss generally support relatively strict guncontrol.

Swiss have one of the highest percentage gunownership rates in the world (tho as I said swiss not required to own one). Even so, with ~8 million swiss, they have about 3 million guns, compare to USA with 300 million guns, it means the USA has about 300 million more guns than the swiss.

Ever stop and think why it hasn't been invaded or been at war for nearly 100 years?

Ever heard of those big high mountains in switzerland? the movie eiger sanction was filmed on the eiger mtn, google big high mountain fortress, and see why the swiss don't & haven't gotten invaded much.

Or that Switzerland has almost, if any, mass shootings?

wiki: The Zug massacre took place on Sept 2001 in the city of Zug in the canton's parliament. Fourteen people were shot dead by Friedrich Leibacher, who killed himself shortly after the crime.
In the years before the massacre, Leibacher drew attention to himself by an intense use of lawsuits. These were dismissed, so he assumed he was being persecuted by the state, thus he felt he had to resort to the crime.
He was armed with a civilian version of a Stgw 90 (Swiss Army assault rifle), a SIG-Sauer-pistol, a pump-action shotgun, and a revolver, and he wore a home-made police vest.
He killed three members of the Executive Council and eleven members of the legislature, and wounded 18 politicians and journalists, some heavily. He fired 91 rounds. Then, he ignited a homemade bomb, and then took his own life. His main intended target was unharmed.
This assault was the first of its type in Switzerland and one of the Canton of Zug's darkest days

Response to jimmy the one (Reply #17)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:23 PM

18. re: disimformation

Even as the gun-control debate rises again in the U.S. in the aftermath of the horrific school shooting in Newtown, Conn., the gun-loving Swiss are not about to lay down their arms. Guns are ubiquitous in this neutral nation, with sharpshooting considered a fun and wholesome recreational activity for people of all ages.

Even though Switzerland has not been involved in an armed conflict since a standoff between Catholics and Protestants in 1847, the Swiss are very serious not only about their right to own weapons but also to carry them around in public. Because of this general acceptance and even pride in gun ownership, nobody bats an eye at the sight of a civilian riding a bus, bike or motorcycle to the shooting range, with a rifle slung across the shoulder.

(MORE: The World’s Best — and Worst — Places to Live)

“We will never change our attitude about the responsible use of weapons by law-abiding citizens,” says Hermann Suter, vice president of Pro-Tell, the country’s gun lobby, named after legendary apple shooter William Tell, who used a crossbow to target enemies long before firearms were invented.

Switzerland trails behind only the U.S, Yemen and Serbia in the number of guns per capita; between 2.3 million and 4.5 million military and private firearms are estimated to be in circulation in a country of only 8 million people. Yet, despite the prevalence of guns, the violent-crime rate is low: government figures show about 0.5 gun homicides per 100,000 inhabitants in 2010. By comparison, the U.S rate in the same year was about 5 firearm killings per 100,000 people, according to a 2011 U.N. report.

Unlike some other heavily armed nations, Switzerland’s gun ownership is deeply rooted in a sense of patriotic duty and national identity. Weapons are kept at home because of the long-held belief that enemies could invade tiny Switzerland quickly, so every soldier had to be able to fight his way to his regiment’s assembly point. (Switzerland was at risk of being invaded by Germany during World War II but was spared, historians say, because every Swiss man was armed and trained to shoot.)

(MORE: Switzerland: Are Its Days as a Tax Haven for Foreigners Numbered?)

But the “gun in every closet” tradition was challenged in 2001, after a disgruntled citizen opened fire with his army rifle inside a regional parliament, killing 14 and injuring 14 others — the only mass shooting in Switzerland’s recent history. The subsequent opposition to widespread gun ownership spearheaded a push for stricter arms legislation. The government and pro-gun groups argued, however, that the country’s existing laws regulating the sale, ownership and licensing of private guns, which includes a ban on carrying concealed weapons, are stringent enough. The law allows citizens or legal residents over the age of 18, who have obtained a permit from the government and who have no criminal record or history of mental illness, to buy up to three weapons from an authorized dealer, with the exception of automatic firearms and selective fire weapons, which are banned. Semiautomatics, which have caused havoc in the U.S., can be legally purchased.

The authorities made one concession, though: since 2008, all military — but not private — ammunition must be stored in central arsenals rather than in soldiers’ homes. The debate culminated in a nationwide referendum last year, when 56% of voters rejected the proposal initiated by anti-gun organizations to ban army rifles from homes altogether.

Although guns are responsible for between 200 and 300 suicides each year in Switzerland, Pro-Tell’s Suter says these statistics have to be put in a wider perspective. He points out that the bullets used in suicides are only a tiny fraction of the 75 million rounds of ammunition that are fired each year in Switzerland during military and civilian target practice.

(MORE: When the Swiss Aren’t Neutral: Chocolates and the CIA)

One of the reasons the crime rate in Switzerland is low despite the prevalence of weapons — and also why the Swiss mentality can’t be transposed to the current American reality — is the culture of responsibility and safety that is anchored in society and passed from generation to generation. Kids as young as 12 belong to gun groups in their local communities, where they learn sharpshooting. The Swiss Shooting Sports Association runs about 3,000 clubs and has 150,000 members, including a youth section. Many members keep their guns and ammunition at home, while others choose to leave them at the club. And yet, despite such easy access to pistols and rifles, “no members have ever used their guns for criminal purposes,” says Max Flueckiger, the association’s spokesperson.

“Social conditions are fundamental in deterring crime,” says Peter Squires, professor of criminology and public policy at the University of Brighton in Great Britain, who has studied gun violence in different countries and concluded that a “culture of support” rather than focus on individualism, can deter mass killings.

Response to Scott.K (Reply #18)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:51 PM

19. Wow. Did you write this all yourself?

Your grammar has really improved since the top of the thread.

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:26 PM

25. There is nothing like original thinking.

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:30 PM

26. Copyright violation

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:28 PM

21. Anyone who hangs around guns

and doesn't treat them as "dangerous" all the time is a fool.

First lesson of gun safety: ALWAYS assume a gun is loaded. ALWAYS assume it's dangerous.

People who don't run a good risk of shooting themselves or someone else.

Response to thucythucy (Reply #21)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:24 PM

24. re: thucy

Exactly. Thats why I remove the magazine, check the chamber, and then field strip all my guns before I do anything. Same thing when they are not in use. I keep the mags out of my guns even while they are in the safe. Heck, when my Dad decided to go in front and to the left of me when I was shooting my M81A2, which I'm sure you know, has one heck of a shock wave when it fires, I put the rifle down, put the safety on, walked up to him, waited for him to empty his mag on the 100 yrd target, then planted by boot squarely on his rear so hard he almost fell over.

Response to Scott.K (Reply #24)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:49 PM

31. Well then, what's your problem

with people, politicians included, who want us to know that guns should be regarded as dangerous at all times?

I'm glad you're so careful, but isn't it because you recognize guns are inherently dangerous, and need to be considered so at all times? Especially if being handled by someone you don't know?

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:41 PM

22. Wrong Forum

Please self-delete and repost in the Gungeon.

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:52 PM

23. Yawn

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:31 PM

27. Doubt it.

Bye.

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:41 PM

28. Is your dad Ted Nugent?

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:44 PM

29. When does the media EVER report someone WITHOUT a gun

saving their life or another's? NEVER. Only GUNS save lives? Do you believe in the tooth fairy? I am posting on DU today because I defened my life almost 50 years ago WITHOUT a damned gun.

America needs to hear OUR stories.

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:46 PM

30. Please post adolescent gun love/worship in the Gungeon.

You couldn't even have a gun in Switzerland at your age. And even when older, one is about it. No toting in public, etc.

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:53 PM

32. Why bother to make yourself appear so ignorant?

another gun nut...

Reply to this thread