HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Study Confirms Tea Party ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 01:35 PM

Study Confirms Tea Party Was Created by Big Tobacco and Billionaires

This one is a pretty big deal.

A new academic study confirms that front groups with longstanding ties to the tobacco industry and the billionaire Koch brothers planned the formation of the Tea Party movement more than a decade before it exploded onto the U.S. political scene.

Far from a genuine grassroots uprising, this astroturf effort was curated by wealthy industrialists years in advance. Many of the anti-science operatives who defended cigarettes are currently deploying their tobacco-inspired playbook internationally to evade accountability for the fossil fuel industry's role in driving climate disruption.

The study, funded by the National Cancer Institute of the National Institute of Health, traces the roots of the Tea Party's anti-tax movement back to the early 1980s when tobacco companies began to invest in third party groups to fight excise taxes on cigarettes, as well as health studies finding a link between cancer and secondhand cigarette smoke.

I would post the rest, but it is full of screenshots and block quotes, here's the entire article: http://www.desmogblog.com/2013/02/11/study-confirms-tea-party-was-created-big-tobacco-and-billionaires

13 replies, 2292 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Study Confirms Tea Party Was Created by Big Tobacco and Billionaires (Original post)
kgrandia Feb 2013 OP
Mojo2 Feb 2013 #1
Drale Feb 2013 #2
Brother Buzz Feb 2013 #3
DFW Feb 2013 #4
Ikonoklast Feb 2013 #9
DFW Feb 2013 #12
Ikonoklast Feb 2013 #13
Myrina Feb 2013 #5
uriel1972 Feb 2013 #6
sakabatou Feb 2013 #7
2pooped2pop Feb 2013 #8
Sunlei Feb 2013 #10
kanooga Feb 2013 #11

Response to kgrandia (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 01:41 PM

1. Dick Armey

Any group tied to Dick Armey is a crooked group! The big question is has the Tea Baggers actually assisted in passing any piece of congressional work that benefited middle or lower income america? How is Michelle Bachman's Tea Party Caucus working, as I'm sure they have sponsored numerous programs to benefit middle america, or at least she said they would.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 01:45 PM

2. Tea Party, more like a TP party....

"Not having the government worked great in Somalia, but somehow we've seemed to botch it all up!" Peter Griffin

"Tea Party, huh? Well, I'd like to be part of a movement. But what movement would want a fat guy who has opinions and hates listening?" Peter Griffin

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 02:04 PM

3. Random thoughts: Gray Davis was tough on tobacco

In September 2002, Governor Davis signed bills to ensure age verification was obtained for cigarettes and other tobacco products sold over the Internet or through the mail, ensured that all state taxes are being fully paid on tobacco purchases and increased the penalty for possessing or purchasing untaxed cigarettes. He also signed legislation to expand smoke-free zones around public buildings.

The 2003 Gray Davis recall was successful, in part, because of the "Recall Gray Davis Committee," which was organized by Republican political consultant Sal Russo

Sal Russo was the co-founder of the Tea Part Express

I sorta, kinda, miss Randomthoughts.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 02:05 PM

4. I remember Walker Merryman

The Tobacco Institute spokesman with the syrupy voice, telling us that cigarette smoke was a pleasant aroma, and that it posed no danger to anyone's health. The guy's hair must have cost more than my weekly salary.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #4)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 04:14 PM

9. He died last month.

Aged 64, pretty young.

I wonder if he smoked.

Reply to this post

Response to Ikonoklast (Reply #9)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:54 PM

12. Very interesting that the cause of death was never mentioned

One might surmise there is a reason for that.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #12)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:07 PM

13. Yes, very interesting, indeed. That omission is fairly glaring.

Not being a medical professional in any way, shape, or form, I can harbor a guess that it had something to do with his previous employment situation.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 02:08 PM

5. What makes that even more frightening, is ...

... that it was so plainly obvious (to most of us) from the get go, but that SO SO SO SOOOOO MANY 'Murkans really thought it was 'blue collar patriots' like themselves who were "a'takin back their country".

And either still staunchly believe it, or now understand they were Koch-ed, and don't care!!

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 02:15 PM

6. Hmmm is this going to airplay on the major networks and other news media?

Stupid question I guess.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 02:19 PM

7. Many of us saw it that way, but the media treated it as a real thing.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 02:42 PM

8. they planned it for a decade

and that was the best they could do with all that money? And they still called them teabaggers?

Without control of the media and the attention it gave them, they wouldn't have even been heard of.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:26 PM

10. same people who funded kochs JBS, let them have a booth and back venue at the republican primary.

wonder if they are the money backers who gave the KKK their recent facelift, namechange, TV station, singing groups and worldwide web coverage. That massive upgrade of the kkk happened within the past 4 years and must have cost millions more than just their stupid membership donations.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread