HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Ron Paul appeals to UN to...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:13 PM

Ron Paul appeals to UN to Take Website From Ron Paul Supporters!

Ron Paul Wants RonPaul.com So Badly That He’s Asking The UN For Help
by Matt Wilstein

Back in May of 2008, when Former Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), a group of the Libertarian congressman’s supporters noticed that he had never secured RonPaul.com or RonPaul.org and decided to buy them and launch a fan site supporting his political endeavors. Five years and two failed presidential bids later, Paul wants the domains for himself.

The group behind the sites announced Friday that Paul had filed a complaint with the World Intellectual Property Organization, “a global governing body that is an agency of the United Nations” to “expropriate the two domain names from his supporters without compensation.”

Previously, the group had offered to give Paul the RonPaul.org domain as a free gift as long as they could keep RonPaul.com for their use. When he rejected that offer, they proposed to sell Paul both domains along with the 170,000 person email list for $250,000, an offer he also rejected.

The group summed up their frustration, referencing Paul’s controversial tweet from earlier this week as evidence that something is amiss:

What in the world is going on? Earlier this week we were hit in the face by Ron Paul’s entirely out-of-character anti-Chris Kyle tweet, and now Ron Paul, the Internet grassroots candidate, who was at the right place at the right time to lead the rEVOLution, attacks his own grassroots supporters through an agency of the United Nations to deport them from their own domain names after 5 years of nothing but unlimited, unconditional support on our part?

Back in 2007 we put our lives on hold for you, Ron, and we invested close to 10,000 hours of tears, sweat and hard work into this site at great personal sacrifice. We helped raise millions of dollars for you, we spread your message of liberty as far and wide as we possibly could, and we went out of our way to defend you against the unjustified attacks by your opponents. Now that your campaigns are over and you no longer need us, you want to take it all away – and send us off to a UN tribunal?

Paul’s attempt to disenfranchise his most loyal supporters would be disturbing enough. But what really puts his actions over the top is that he’s reaching out to the United Nations for help, an organization he has spent much of his political career demonizing as a foreign body dead-set on taking away Americans’ freedoms.

(h/t Gawker)

http://www.mediaite.com/online/ron-paul-wants-ronpaul-com-so-badly-that-hes-asking-the-un-for-help/

23 replies, 3042 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ron Paul appeals to UN to Take Website From Ron Paul Supporters! (Original post)
marble falls Feb 2013 OP
niyad Feb 2013 #1
marble falls Feb 2013 #2
freshwest Feb 2013 #17
Andy823 Feb 2013 #3
silverweb Feb 2013 #4
marble falls Feb 2013 #5
silverweb Feb 2013 #8
JRLeft Feb 2013 #22
dorkzilla Feb 2013 #6
Curmudgeoness Feb 2013 #7
Downwinder Feb 2013 #9
Curmudgeoness Feb 2013 #11
alp227 Feb 2013 #10
marble falls Feb 2013 #12
alp227 Feb 2013 #15
freshwest Feb 2013 #18
joshcryer Feb 2013 #13
freshwest Feb 2013 #19
bluedigger Feb 2013 #14
tex-wyo-dem Feb 2013 #16
Fantastic Anarchist Feb 2013 #20
pampango Feb 2013 #21
marble falls Feb 2013 #23

Response to marble falls (Original post)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:16 PM

1. I thought for certain this was from the Onion.

did he ever have anything good to say about the UN when he was in office?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to niyad (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:19 PM

2. Check this out! http://www.ronpaul.com/ yuck, yuck, yuck! This is even more onion-like!

Reply to this post

Response to niyad (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 12:40 AM

17. Nope, and he went on air with this as Alex Jones spewed anti-UN.

According to a DU thread and post:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022344019

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022344019#post2

I sure hope the Paulites who screamed about the TSA don't mind having their private contact information sold off to the highest bidder, because that's part of the deal being offered...

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:20 PM

3. I have to say

This is proof that Paul was never anything like the person his loyal followers thought he was. He is simply just another con artist fleecing the flock of followers for their money, and now he is showing his true colors.

I hope the UN tells him to get lost, and the people that own the domain names jack up the price ten times higher!

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:21 PM

4. I'm really not surprised.

When have extreme Libertarians ever been anything but colossal hypocrites?

Reply to this post

Response to silverweb (Reply #4)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:24 PM

5. A friend of mine says Libertarians are Republicans who smoke pot.

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #5)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:33 PM

8. I've heard that, too.

It's pretty much true.

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 04:04 PM

22. Paulbots, aren't like Gary Johnson who is a true Libertarian.

Paulbots are anti gay, pro life, but anti war Republicans. Gary Johnson is 100% liberal on Social issues but is pro anti spending, but unlike Republicans he would slash the war budget in half and close all military bases and bring every military personnel stationed overseas home.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:28 PM

6. I SOOOOO want to send this link to...

...my PaulBot sister and brother but they would just make up some BS about how it wasn't true or that these people are in league with Rand Paul ; Rand was coerced into turning against his father by the neocons who promised him a larger rold in the GOP if he'd support Romney evidenced by the fact that Rand is giving the TeaParty's response to Obama's State of the Union address

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:28 PM

7. Ron Paul was the idiot for not securing those domain names

and now he is just pissed. Funny how someone who wants "less government and less regulation" would seem to want more bureaucracy to save him from his dumb inaction on his part.

The good news: this will definitely remove him from any hopes of any further political career. He is pissing on his supporters.

Reply to this post

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #7)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:44 PM

9. More like he was too lazy or too cheap to do

the work necessary to build and maintain the site. Face it, he is a leach. Another neocon living off the labor of others.

Reply to this post

Response to Downwinder (Reply #9)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:06 PM

11. It takes very little money to secure a domain name.

He could have saved those names for himself for whenever he wanted to use them, or never use them.

I remember years ago, I heard of people who bought up interesting domain names just to sit on them until someone might want to buy them. So it is a matter of just getting on it the fastest....and I would think that a politician would want to secure those names before then even started a campaign and their names got popular.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:53 PM

10. HA! Anyone remember when Glenn Beck also appealed to that UN board?

about that "Did Glenn Beck rape and murder a young girl" website!

Reply to this post

Response to alp227 (Reply #10)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:14 PM

12. Seriously? Tell us more!

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #12)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:33 PM

15. Great Wikipedia article (certified "good article") about the Glenn Beck lawsuit

Reply to this post

Response to alp227 (Reply #10)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 12:42 AM

18. And he's always going on about world communism? What's a RWWJ to believe anymore?

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:22 PM

13. LOL, a Libertarian using Intellectual Property to secure something.

Funny that. Really fucking funny. (Libertarians like to claim that intellectual property isn't capitalistic.)

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #13)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 12:45 AM

19. They're selling the Paulbots' private info for just over a buck a head...

What ever happened to them yelling:

Hey, don't touch my junk, man!

Oh, and what you said, too...

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:29 PM

14. Fuck Ron Paul!

Man, that felt good!

It's been a while.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 12:37 AM

16. Ron Paul...

Just another hypocritical political hack out for himself and who couldn't care less about anyone beyond his own skin...(Which pretty much describes Libertarians to a tea...or is it tee?)

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 02:16 PM

20. iRony Paul ...

What did you expect?

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 03:13 PM

21. Paul-"The choice is very clear: we either follow the Constitution or submit to UN global governance.

American national sovereignty cannot survive if we allow our domestic laws to be crafted by an international body. This needs to be stated publicly more often. If we continue down the UN path, America as we know it will cease to exist."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/02/09/1185873/-Ron-Paul-Joins-the-UN-Conspiracy

Paul (now) - "On the other hand, perhaps 'UN global governance' is not so bad if it serves my self-interest."

Reply to this post

Response to pampango (Reply #21)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 08:31 AM

23. I guess ol' Ron Paul made his choice and supports the UN.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread