HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Is there enough political...

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 02:20 PM

Is there enough political capital for climate change to be taking seriously?

It seems that public opinion is starting to change, but it seems like U.S. politics still doesn't focus on climate change talk as much as I would like to see. Compared to Europe or Asia where climate change is heavily discussed my relatives often ask why it isn't a hot button issue like it is in other parts of the world?

4 replies, 648 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Is there enough political capital for climate change to be taking seriously? (Original post)
Harmony Blue Feb 2013 OP
Buzz Clik Feb 2013 #1
DFW Feb 2013 #2
AverageJoe90 Feb 2013 #3
awoke_in_2003 Feb 2013 #4

Response to Harmony Blue (Original post)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 02:35 PM

1. Not until catastrophe strikes that is indisputably caused by human-induced climate change.

Until then, no.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 02:38 PM

2. Not yet, but take heart:

When Long Island, most of Florida, San Diego, Malibu, half of South Carolina, Louisiana and Mississippi have under three feet of water for six months without interruption, I'm sure Congress will spring into action!

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 03:38 PM

3. Well, the way I've come to see it.....

I've come to accept the view that we are at a similar stage with ACC now, as we were with nuclear weapons in the late '60s, early '70s: We know enough about the dangers, and have taken some small, and a few more significant, steps in the right direction but we haven't seriously instituted major fixes quite yet. I'm convinced that it may not be too much longer before something really gets done en masse, perhaps just a decade from now, maybe 15 years at most, but while there is no real point to which we can't do something about it, there may be a point in which it may take lucky chance to avoid a 2*C rise. TBH, we may already be locked in, at least partly, for a 1-1.5*C rise.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 09:12 PM

4. No...

and if there was Harry would find a way to fuck it up.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread