HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » GOP SPONSORED RAPE
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 03:56 AM

GOP SPONSORED RAPE

They want to stick a probe up a woman's vagina for the purpose of humiliation and control. This is sexual assault.

Also known as HOUSE BILL No. 4187.

If the people who represent us don't start calling it like it is, I'm going to be very upset. Fuck being polite. These people want to stick a probe up a woman to shame her!

I don't want to see any more of this bullshit:
This is an unnecessary and unwarranted intrusion into the health decisions of women,” a spokeswoman for Michigan’s House Democratic Leader Tim Greimel told TPM. “This is yet another example of the Republican obsession with overregulating people’s private lives.
NO. IT IS RAPE.

It does lay bare that the real motive is to make abortion providers continue to acquire more and more and more equipment before they’re even eligible to perform an abortion,” Crane told TPM. “They’re trying to make it harder for doctors to do their jobs.
NO. IT IS RAPE.

Enough is fucking enough. Do we have to wait for the witch trials before we get tough with these misogynists?

27 replies, 2897 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 27 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP SPONSORED RAPE (Original post)
NightOwwl Feb 2013 OP
Socal31 Feb 2013 #1
Sherman A1 Feb 2013 #2
demwing Feb 2013 #4
trueblue2007 Feb 2013 #17
Socal31 Feb 2013 #19
Android3.14 Feb 2013 #3
frankenfeinstein499 Feb 2013 #5
jberryhill Feb 2013 #6
NightOwwl Feb 2013 #7
frankenfeinstein499 Feb 2013 #9
NightOwwl Feb 2013 #10
frankenfeinstein499 Feb 2013 #12
uppityperson Feb 2013 #15
NightOwwl Feb 2013 #22
frankenfeinstein499 Feb 2013 #25
uppityperson Feb 2013 #26
Android3.14 Feb 2013 #14
CitizenPatriot Feb 2013 #18
NightOwwl Feb 2013 #23
CitizenPatriot Feb 2013 #27
NightOwwl Feb 2013 #8
ismnotwasm Feb 2013 #11
In_The_Wind Feb 2013 #13
Ian Iam Feb 2013 #16
robertkdem1965_h89 Feb 2013 #20
Zoeisright Feb 2013 #21
NightOwwl Feb 2013 #24

Response to NightOwwl (Original post)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 04:43 AM

1. I say put it up for a vote.

We all need to see who votes for it, against it, or stays home "sick" that day.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Socal31 (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:24 AM

2. Agreed

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

Reply to this post

Response to Socal31 (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 07:02 AM

4. Some things do not deserve a vote.

would you allow your wife, mother or daughter to be raped? Would a vote change your mind? Why would it matterr if the rape was prescribed by a doctor?

Reply to this post

Response to demwing (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 09:40 PM

17. if someone tried to do this to me -FIGHT! From the moment they started moving me

into hospital or dr office

i would be fighting. maybe even start shooting. but i don't have a gun.

wait..... I HAVE POTATOES AND ORANGES. i have cans of food to throw.

i don't know what i would do but i can't even imagine this happening in the USA.

i say no!!!!!!!!!!!
you keep those vaginal probe things away from me

Reply to this post

Response to demwing (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:34 PM

19. I don't think you understood my post.

Even if the vote passed, there is no way in hell anyone would comply.

I simply want to know exactly who would vote for it, and who is a coward and makes up an excuse to miss the vote.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 06:56 AM

3. This is exactly the phrase we should hear from those who support reproductive rights

We should start asking our own leaders, "Why won't you call a government policy to force an object into the vagina of an unwilling woman exactly what it really is, "GOP sponsored rape"?
We should correct our own party's leaders whenever they say or reference the policy. When a leader says, "This policy is unacceptable....", we should respond by asking, "By "this policy" don't you actually mean GOP sponsored rape?"

Reply to this post

Response to Android3.14 (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:54 AM

5. It's been said...

Repro rights activists have used the term "state-sponsored rape" to refer to this sort of bill when they were going through last year... Rachel Maddow and NARAL among others.

Is there no risk of trivialising the experience of women assaulted by someone out to humiliate them and get sexual pleasure by *regularly* adopting this word here for an unnecessary invasive procedure? "Transvaginal probe" certainly seemed strong enough last year to get national attention and make the wingers walk back in several states.

Reply to this post

Response to frankenfeinstein499 (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 01:34 PM

6. What do you call unconsented insertion of an object into the vagina?

Many states classify that combination of elements under their rape statutes.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 01:58 PM

7. Sounds like we are veering into 'legitimate rape' territory.

A foreign object pushed into in a woman's vagina when she doesn't want it pushed into her vagina is rape. A foreign object pushed into a woman's vagina in order to humiliate and control is rape. Many women experience pain during the procedure, but even if they don't, that is not a 'requirement' of rape.

This is what women will be forced to undergo even though there is no medical necessity. In other words, GOP sponsored rape.

Reply to this post

Response to NightOwwl (Reply #7)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 02:33 PM

9. I get you, I didn't fail bio 101 & no Akin-type filth comes out of my mouth...

Understood. I am not against using the word in this context, I was just concerned about what some other rape survivors would think; I wouldn't presume to speak for them not having gone through that and it was their sensibilities I was considering.

I always say that "rape is rape" within a sexual context- date, marital, drunken, sleeping, etc. vs "forcible" (Ryan/Akin) doesn't come into it for me as I assume it does not for most women and non-wingnut men. I'm right behind BHO for making that statement against the "rape caucus" as Maddow called 'em... who went 0-for-9 in November

Where it was non-sexual in intent that is where I become less confident- one supposes that it's not something that fits the construct built up even as a progressive- but if someone subejcted to an ultrasound bill called it rape, I wouldn't even think of "correcting" them.

Reply to this post

Response to frankenfeinstein499 (Reply #9)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 02:45 PM

10. Rape is an act of violence, not sex.

I'm surprised you don't know that, considering your Bio 101 credentials.

Reply to this post

Response to NightOwwl (Reply #10)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 03:27 PM

12. I understood that too. Really- I explained what the uncertainty was over...

Why is it so often called "sexual violence" then? Which people take to mean it is an act of violence (not sex) and imposition of power but still there is a sexual component, which I thought was present when anything is inserted into a vagina without consent- still some (many?) people think a sexual motive is required. A lot of rape laws say that, so it's hardly an extreme concept even if it's a disempowering one you find completely false.

And Bio 101 was a reference to the false theories by the Legitimiser, Mr.God's Intention and other nuts traced back to Dr. Willke and anti-choice organising about where things go and how they shut down etc. I had no doubt in my mind about what a transvaginal ultrasound probe was before you put up the image.

I apologise if I have appeared to minimise rape in any way. I have already posted that my concern was for rape survivors who have undergone more commonly imagined forms of rape and how they would respond to labelling this as equivalent. I should have picked a less knotty topic for my first post... ahh, I'll get it.

Reply to this post

Response to frankenfeinstein499 (Reply #12)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:04 PM

15. As a rape survivor, this is mandated rape.

"Sexual violence" is used because too many people think "rape" is just penis into vagina sexual intercourse that someone said Stop and the other didn't. It is an act of violence with a sexual component but not necessarily "just" penis/vagina penetration and hence "sexual violence" is often used to not limit it to "just" penis/vagina penetration.

Someone sticking something into my vagina without my consent, or who has gotten my "consent" by force is guilty of rape. And sexual violence.

Someone holding a knife to my throat while masturbating on my hair is guilty of rape also. And sexual violence. But some may say since there was no penetration, it wasn't "rape", "just" "sexual violence". Sorry to use so many quotes but it is necessary here.

I understand not wanting to downplay rape survivors by saying a mandated insertion of a wand is rape. There is a wide range of what is rape and/or sexual violence.

As a rape survivor (no knife, just the threat of beating from a soon to be ex who had broken my nose in the past when I dared object to getting cussed out for not mind reading what he wanted for supper), I see it as a bit hyperbolic but also as real rape.

Rape is forcing someone to do something they don't want to, with a sexual component. IMO. Mandating a wand be stuck up a vagina for a useless test falls into that category, it is meant only to humiliate and control what a woman does. It does not minimize my experience, or that of a 14 yr old friend forced at knife point to allow some asshole access to her body, but is another example. This time legally mandated, and shame on them.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #15)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 02:55 AM

22. Thank you uppity.

I'm sorry you had to go through those terrible experiences.

As a rape survivor, your words are very, very powerful.

Reply to this post

Response to NightOwwl (Reply #22)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 09:45 AM

25. yep- different experience but not necessarily lesser.

Thank you uppity and nightowwl You have removed any doubts I had about calling this thing what it is and what sounded hyperbolic to me when NARAL first brought it out: the State-Sponsored Rape Act.

And yes, every repug should be asked where they are on state-sponsored/state-mandated rape. The publicity from that might be enough to see off another year of anti-woman mayhem across the red states.

Reply to this post

Response to NightOwwl (Reply #22)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 11:00 AM

26. I was young, dumb and understand how DV and SA can happen. It made me much more uppity as an adult.

I lost contact with my 14 yr old friend's family, not sure how she is doing 20 yrs later but need to find out.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 07:29 PM

14. If it were a state-mandated prostate exam,

I bet you would sing a different tune.
Only GOP nimrod would think rape was about sexual gratification. Just like the GOP proposal, it is about violence.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 10:16 PM

18. As someone who has actually had a transvaginal ultra sound

I can assure you that it is painful and invasive. But then, I'm a "Repro rights activist" - also known as a human being who believes I have a right to authority over my medical decisions and to reject unnecessary, expensive and painful procedures only being suggested in order to humiliate and shame women.

You make a point re the use of the word rape, but I think for many women who have been raped and then want to abort the result, having a transvaginal ultrasound mandated by the government would seem like a repeat -- no control, pain, shame. Rape victims don't need physical reminders.

The number of women raped in this country is higher than reported - with reporting being so low for this crime.

Reply to this post

Response to CitizenPatriot (Reply #18)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 02:59 AM

23. It's horrendous.

She survives a rape only to be raped again.

Reply to this post

Response to NightOwwl (Reply #23)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 11:36 AM

27. well said

If you ask anyone who has worked at a rape crisis center, they can explain how rape victims already feel raped by the system - and then the rape kits, etc are invasive. Now this

Reply to this post

Response to Android3.14 (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 02:03 PM

8. Exactly

A foreign object inserted into a woman's vagina in order to humiliate and control. I really don't know how it can be called anything else but what it is - rape.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 03:14 PM

11. Thank you

Well put

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 03:34 PM

13. I agree this is rape.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 09:40 PM

16. But rape only happens in India!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 01:08 AM

20. The War on Women marches on

I hope that bill is defeated by a landslide. That would serve those women-hating pricks right.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 01:40 AM

21. The assholes who are pushing this really do want to rape women.

And this is the kind of thing they fantasize about. They should be rotting in jail with a boyfriend named Hulk.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 03:41 AM

24. Well looky here.

Michigan GOP quashes transvaginal ultrasound bill

Michigan’s Republican House Speaker shut down a bill that would have forced women seeking an abortion to first undergo a transvaginal ultrasound, saying he has “absolutely no interest” in mandating the procedure.

“While I want to be sure women have access to the best technology available, I have absolutely no interest in forcing a woman to have a transvaginal ultrasound,” House Speaker Jase Bolger (R) said in a statement Thursday. “This House of Representatives will not pass a bill mandating transvaginal ultrasounds.”

A spokesman for Gov. Rick Snyder, R-Mich., said that the governor also opposes the legislation. “Gov. Snyder is not at all supportive of this legislation and has zero interest in seeing it come to his desk,” Sara Wurfel told TPM.
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/07/michigan_gop_quashes_transvaginal_ultrasound_bill/

I'd like to give these men credit for coming to their senses, but I can't help wondering what they have up their sleeve. They think we were angry before? If they are playing us...oh they can't even imagine.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread