HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » McCain: Don't Filibuster ...

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 06:43 PM

McCain: Don't Filibuster Hagel

By MANU RAJU and DAVID ROGERS | 2/4/13 4:53 PM EST Updated: 2/4/13 6:13 PM EST

Sen. John McCain appears to have cleared the way Monday for Chuck Hagel to be the next secretary of defense.

The Arizona Republican, who has been a prominent voice in the debate over Hagel, said Monday he would oppose any attempt to filibuster the nomination, likely dooming any attempt by Senate conservatives to sustain a protracted procedural fight to delay Hagel’s confirmation.

“I do not believe that we should filibuster,” McCain told POLITICO. “To vote against is entirely the judgment of each individual senator, but a filibuster I think would be inappropriate.”

Asked if he would vote for cloture if a filibuster were mounted, McCain answered, “Yes.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/mccain-dont-filibuster-hagel-87159.html#ixzz2Jyda7yrT

4 replies, 815 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 06:48 PM

1. Old Man McCain and the Tortiose in a street fight

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 06:51 PM

2. If McCain won't go along with the filibuster, it won't happen. For that I'm grateful, indeed. eom

Reply to this post

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:28 AM

3. Who is going to filibuster the nomination?? Little Lindsey?? So how many votes does Hagel

get today?? I previously thought 60 -65 but now I am thinking 70+.

Reply to this post

Response to Filibuster Harry (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:40 AM

4. I can't imagine lindsey going against his bff McCain. Just don't see that happening. eom

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread