HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » NRA faces major test of c...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 07:34 PM

NRA faces major test of clout in Minnesota

Article by: JIM RAGSDALE and BRANDON STAHL , Star Tribune staff writers
Updated: February 3, 2013 - 9:18 AM

... DFLers who took control of the Legislature in January are readying a slew of bills that would ban assault-style weapons, extend background checks to private sales and take other prevention measures ...

Nearly one in 10 Minnesotans has a firearms hunting license, nearly 120,000 hold a permit to carry weapons and the right to hunt is chiseled into the state Constitution.

"They have a very passionate constituency," said Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk, DFL-Cook, who owes his start in politics to an NRA endorsement but who has not always followed NRA policy. The NRA is so popular outside of the Twin Cities that many rural DFL legislators covet the NRA's top rating along with their GOP opponents ...

Gun control supporters have their own strong constituency, and the NRA is not invincible. Minnesota's top three politicians -- Gov. Mark Dayton, Sen. Amy Klobuchar and Sen. Al Franken -- are all F-rated by the NRA. Of the NRA-endorsed legislative candidates who ran in November, 22 lost, including 14 incumbents ...

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/189518481.html?refer=y

4 replies, 892 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply NRA faces major test of clout in Minnesota (Original post)
struggle4progress Feb 2013 OP
Bosso 63 Feb 2013 #1
reteachinwi Feb 2013 #2
jimmy the one Feb 2013 #3
glinda Feb 2013 #4

Response to struggle4progress (Original post)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 08:38 PM

1. I'm one of those 120,000 Minnesotans.

Fuck the NRA.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Bosso 63 (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 09:31 PM

2. As am I

I wouldn't get close enough to the NRA to do what you suggest.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:13 PM

3. cheers to bosso & reteach

Bosso I'm one of those 120,000 Minnesotans. {either hunter or ccw} Fuck the NRA.

reteachinwi. As am I ..I wouldn't get close enough to the NRA to do what you suggest.

Cheers to you both, bosso & reteach, from a gun control advocate, for recognizing the nra for what it is, an extreme radical org, and, imo, bent on profitmongering from gunsales.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 12:15 AM

4. What I gather online locally is that outstate people that are complaining don't even know

what the proposed laws are. they think it is about taking all their guns away. Those that scream the loudest have the most to hide. And they are few IMHO. A minority getting big press.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread