HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » A Final Letter To Mitt Ro...

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 09:39 AM

A Final Letter To Mitt Romney, A Letter Worth Reading

This is another one of those letters my mother got and emailed to me. I am posting it because it is the encapsulation of all that I have heard for those who voted to re-elect President Barack Obama.

Many attempted to give the impression that his voters were just blind Obamabots wanting a handout. Many attempted to make it a racial thing, black people voting for him because he is black, other minorities voting for him because he is not white, notwithstanding that all minorities have voted for white candidates even against minority candidates if they were the candidates speaking to their political needs.

Personally the President did not do most of what I wanted but he did much of what I expected him to do. He is president of the United States and not God. He became the leader of the American capitalist ideology not Simon Bolivar. For those who want a more Socially Progressive Liberal state, a state I believe is more humane, it is incumbent that one move the political leaders. Political leaders are not revolutionaries. The masses must create their own peaceful revolutions.

To: Mitt Romney; Paul Ryan
Sent: Sat, Jan 26, 2013 7:13 am
Subject: A FINAL LETTER TO THE MITT ROMNEY

Dear Mitt and Paul,

I wanted to clear something up for you. I have seen the debate about what went wrong, and why you lost this election. As a voter I want you to know that my voting against you had nothing to do with the fact that you are both rotten people.

*It was not because of your crazy religions ideology.
*It had nothing to do with Eastwood’s empty chair, or the hurricane, or the liberal media telling me bad things about Bain.
*I did not vote against you because I am a minority.
*I did not vote against you because I live in an urban area.
*I did not vote against you because of the cheese wiz in your veins or the elevators for your cars.
*I did not vote against you because you are bullies and bigots.
*I did not vote against you because you are rich hypocrites.
*It was not because of Chris Christie, or Colin Powell, or Bill Clinton, or Anne Coulter, or Chris Mathews or Rachel Maddow or Meygn Kelly or Jon Stewart or Brian Williams, or anybody on tv.
*I didn’t vote against you for any of those reasons because, I didn’t vote against anybody.

I voted for someone.

I voted for a man who brought my childhood friends home from war that they could kiss their wives and tuck their kids in at night.

*I voted for a guy who loves New Jersey more than he dislikes Chris Christie.
*I voted for the guy who looked in the mirrors of his daughter’s eyes, questioned himself, and changed his mind about marriage equality.
*I voted for the guy who called Sandra Fluke and told her that her parents should be proud.
*I voted for the guy who honors the women in his life by ensuring them trust to make their own reproductive and health choices and opportunity to work through glass ceilings with equal pay.
*I voted for the guy who signed the stimulus that paid for the hearing aids that allowed me to hear my children clearly.
*I voted for the guy who gave my sister the ability to buy health insurance in spite of pre existing conditions.
*I voted for the guy who picked Joe Biden for a VP. Joe’s love for his country, his willingness to give of himself, his smarts and experience are top notch.
*I voted for the guy who was smart enough to put a ring on Michelle Obama’s finger.
*Most importantly, I voted for the guy who will continue to place America and what is right for her first.

I trust him. When he hears a lone voice in a crowd of plenty shout, “I love you!” He shouts, “I love you back!” See Mitt, Paul, it’s not you… It’s him. I did not vote against you.

*I voted for Barack Obama.
*I voted for Joe Biden.
*I voted for Michelle and Sasha and Malia.
*I voted in favor of my self and my spouse and our sons and our future.
*I voted in favor of the best tomorrow for America available.

You can blame polls, and weather events, and skewed electoral votes and biased media and urban minorities who supposedly want free stuff till you actually turn into the slow moving regressive elephants who represent you if you wish but no manipulating the facts.

You lost not because you are losers but because Barack is a winner.

Sincerely,
Name Withheld For Privacy

Please subscribe to my newsletter here.

Please visit my website here http://egbertowillies.com/

36 replies, 18663 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 36 replies Author Time Post
Reply A Final Letter To Mitt Romney, A Letter Worth Reading (Original post)
egbertowillies Feb 2013 OP
Faux pas Feb 2013 #1
freshwest Feb 2013 #28
Aristus Feb 2013 #2
truebluegreen Feb 2013 #3
union_maid Feb 2013 #4
Lugnut Feb 2013 #5
grantcart Feb 2013 #6
oldandhappy Feb 2013 #7
BlancheSplanchnik Feb 2013 #8
hamsterjill Feb 2013 #9
muriel_volestrangler Feb 2013 #10
Wait Wut Feb 2013 #11
annabanana Feb 2013 #12
egbertowillies Feb 2013 #14
november3rd Feb 2013 #13
catherinemax Feb 2013 #23
Sunlei Feb 2013 #15
BlueStreak Feb 2013 #16
DaveT Feb 2013 #22
mountain grammy Feb 2013 #30
Filibuster Harry Feb 2013 #17
SCantiGOP Feb 2013 #18
graywarrior Feb 2013 #19
Green Flutterbye Feb 2013 #20
cyberswede Feb 2013 #21
No Vested Interest Feb 2013 #27
MrModerate Feb 2013 #24
Whisp Feb 2013 #25
southernyankeebelle Feb 2013 #26
Canoe52 Feb 2013 #29
The Wizard Feb 2013 #31
vlyons Feb 2013 #32
Joseph McCaffrey Feb 2013 #33
maddiemom Feb 2013 #34
tomp Feb 2013 #35
ronnie7200 Feb 2013 #36

Response to egbertowillies (Original post)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 09:50 AM

1. Me too!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Faux pas (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 09:47 PM

28. And those are my thoughts, too!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 10:22 AM

2. Bravo!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 10:26 AM

3. "Course, they ARE losers, and were before the election. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 10:50 AM

4. Wonderful and true for me, except..

...as much as I did vote FOR Obama/Biden, I would have had to vote against those two bozos almost no matter what. Like if it was Evan Bayh or something. I would not have been happy or had much hope for the future, but Romney's total disengagement with other sentient beings, human or otherwise, and Ryan's Randian lunacy scared me poopless, too.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 10:52 AM

5. Yes!

I most wholeheartedly agree!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 11:00 AM

6. Great letter

(We know that you didn't vote for him because of Seamus! - kidding)

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 11:10 AM

7. excellent!

Yes, I am for the president. Thank you for the post.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 11:33 AM

8. I love this letter and I love that pic.

I've seen them both before------and it is so nice to see them again!

Thanks!!!!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 11:36 AM

9. This is a really good letter!

And I think it's an important point.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 11:41 AM

10. If the name is withheld for privacy, should the email address be too?

If nothing else, it would stop spambots harvesting the address if you edited it out.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 11:47 AM

11. Beautifully written!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:37 PM

12. Very Good.. You should have included your website, Thusly:

http://egbertowillies.com/

Yours is a voice that we'll notice, I suspect.

Reply to this post

Response to annabanana (Reply #12)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:45 PM

14. Thanks kindly

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:44 PM

13. The Nature of the System

I can't tell you how despairingly I loathed the image, words and reports of Ryan and Romney during that election. I could barely stand to look at them or listen to them speak. After the convention in Tampa, I turned the volume down and averted my eyes.

They made me sick.

As much as I hate medical insurance companies, Wall Street banks, Guantanamo Bay, forced deportations of immigrants, the extension of the Bush tax cuts, the war in Afghanistan, etc..., I never got that feeling from the President. I always listened to what he had to say, and felt he was trying to make an honest connection with the people.

The difference for me was a gut feeling.

When I went door to door in Philly for two days before the election, I met tens and hundreds of people who all seemed to have that same good feeling inside about the President.

We may not all be that smart, or that reasonable, or even consciously aware of what is happening right in front of our eyes.

But our brains are much bigger than our conscious awareness. If we're honest enough to trust our conscience, our conscience will steer us in the right direction.

Lincoln (and Obama) refer to it as trusting, "the better angels of our nature."

After four years, we knew what we were getting with the President.

Reply to this post

Response to november3rd (Reply #13)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 07:35 PM

23. Agreed

I had the same visceral reaction to them as I had to Palin 4 years earlier. I couldn't stand to watch them or listen to them either after the first few times. The phoniness and toxic sludge that oozed out from their lips was genuinely repulsive to me. I trust those instincts. They have never steered me wrong.....

Prez Obama is not perfect. He is cautious and methodical to a fault (e.g., 6 months to choose a family dog?? haha) but I would much rather have a thinker in the White House -- a statesman for the world community -- than a petty partisan whose family connections bought him every school he ever went to and every position he ever had. I do not want a low brow, shoot-from-the-hip and think later kind of leader. I want, as we say in the Jewish community, a real mensch as President. And Barack Obama is truly a mensch of historic proportions. I do not say this because of the color of his skin, but the quality of his character and the kindness of his heart. I am so very proud of him!!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:19 PM

15. good letter thanks for the post. No more pics of the loser, romney scissorhands please.

unless it's the funny picks of romney planking infants!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:35 PM

16. Actually I did vote AGAINST Romney

I voted for Obama because:

- I didn't want to see the Supreme Court stacked further with right-wing extremists

- I didn't want the CEO-in-Chief to be a person with such low regard for American workers

- I didn't want to turn over Medicare and Social Security to people who were absolutely clear in their intentions to privatize these programs for the profit of their friends

I think Obama is a decent man, but nothing I get excited about. He is the lesser of evils, and compared to Romney, MUCH less evil.

Likewise for Hillary.

But one day before I die, I hope to see a real progressive movement in this country.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueStreak (Reply #16)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 07:35 PM

22. I voted AGAINST Romney and

what the Republican Party has become.

If the GOP were still the party of Jerry Ford and Bob Dole, I probably would have voted for their candidate in 2012.

In defense of President Obama, whose policies I more often oppose than support, I do not know how any human being could possibly be a good President of the United States while raising about 2 billion dollars to get elected and re-elected. Our entire political spectrum shifted far to the right on September 11, and the Democratic Party is now more conservative than the Republicans were while today's GOP is so far off the chart that there is no word to describe it other than psychotic.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueStreak (Reply #16)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 10:44 PM

30. I also voted against Rmoney, who I think is despicable and a poor

excuse for a human being and just the thought of president Rmoney made my hair stand on end.
I did vote for Obama, who I'm ok with. He is a much better choice than Rmoney. But, like you, before I die I would love to see a real liberal movement in this country, like we saw 50 years ago. The Civil Rights movement, the anti war movement, people had to do it themselves, governments would not be moved. The marches, the demonstrations, civil disobedience, the involvment of millions couldn't be ignored. It was bloody, it was terrifying, and many died fighting for causes worth fighting for right here in the good ole USA.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 04:28 PM

17. I voted for Obama too but also against Mitt. How could a governor running for president

truthfully not accept a for every $ 1 increase in revenue there be a $ 10 decrease in spending?? Please explain that one. Oh,yeah and your tax plan (what plan??). for the rich??

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 04:55 PM

18. great find

Wish I could recommend this more than once.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 06:13 PM

19. Well said!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 07:05 PM

20. the bad qualities vs the good qualities.

Indeed, Mr. Romney (and his evil side-kick) ARE all of those undesirable things cited in the letter, yet, I too did not vote against them.
I am white woman, retired from a full life in a respected career in science and law, that was financially rewarding. I specifically voted FOR Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden because they ARE all those Good things cited in the letter, and represent the best hope we have to guide our country to a better future.

Reply to this post

Response to Green Flutterbye (Reply #20)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 07:14 PM

21. Welcome to DU!

I like your username.

Reply to this post

Response to Green Flutterbye (Reply #20)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 09:17 PM

27. Yes, Welcome.

You'll like it here.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 08:09 PM

24. Beautiful. Positive. Even uplifting. Something we need much more of.

However, in the letter author's charity toward the defeated, s/he elided the fact that Romney and Ryan are losers. And it's OK to vote against terrible people, especially when good people are on offer (see Akin, Todd and McCaskill, Claire).

That being said, I'd take more of this letter and less of my sourness, and call it a win for America.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 08:25 PM

25. that's a very smart letter. thankyou Mr. NWFP. n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 08:55 PM

26. She speaks for many of us.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 09:54 PM

29. Awww crap...

now I got tears in my eyes and am having a tough time writing this!

Beautifully written, thanks for sharing!

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 07:19 AM

31. I voted for Barack Obama

because he's not aligned with a Party of fringe lunatics steeped in bigotry; dedicated to dividing Americans by any means necessary for cheap political gain, and because he's capable of being president to all the people not only the wealthy elites.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 07:21 AM

32. I voted against Mitt and Paul

because of their outrageous lies. They taxed my credulity. I simply cannot believe anything they say. They are not to be trusted.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 07:38 AM

33. RE: Romney's and Ryan's total lack of qualifications.

The author of the final letter is being much too kind to Romney and Ryan. Both are "bad guys" and in no way qualified to hold any office in the democracy I want to be part of.

It started with Romney, as a rich prep-school kid, organizing a gang of other rich prep-school students to gang up on a kid who might or might not have been gay (it was his own business) and Romney led this pack of cowards in shaving the kids head. Years later he characterized his assault on the kid as a "prank," and dismissed it, never apologizing or showing any reflection about it.

Then there was his years-long activity as a "vulture capitalist" who took over and drained the assets of American manufacturing companies, laid off their workers, sold their assets, and in some cases confiscated their pensions, and then contracted with manufacturers in China to get the same goods made there and shipped to the USA.

The list is long but I'll end with this: Romney's hiding money from the Internal Revenue Service in a complex web of off-shore banks and foreign tax-avoidance vehicles, resulting in his paying about 15% in come tax on income of well over a million whereas we pay closer to 25%. There was his ostentatious wealth, his disdain for working people, many of whom his unbridled greed affected, and his wife's totally unreal attitude and statements.

Paul Ryan is just dumb. Anybody who bases his entire political philosophy and economic theories of an obvious psychopath like Ayn Rand needs to have his head examined, not run for office.

Thanks Barack Obama for just being there. It turns out that Obama is a decent man with a well functioning Liberal mind, but Romney and Ryan were dangerous. Nice letter, but I'd be a lot less kind to Romney and Ryan.

Reply to this post

Response to Joseph McCaffrey (Reply #33)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 08:44 AM

34. Exactly! Well put.

Romney/ Ryan epitomized to me, the very things that have gone wrong in the U.S. since Reagan. The icon that the GOP has made of that man says it all.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 09:02 AM

35. well....they really were losers, too. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 01:40 PM

36. Thanks for the letter

I voted FOR Barack Obama and would do it again, if I could! Thank you!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread