HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » McCain: Adding LGBT Prote...

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:19 AM

McCain: Adding LGBT Protections to Immigration Bill Would Be Like Adding "Taxpayer-Funded Abortion"

McCain: Adding LGBT Protections to Immigration Bill Would Be Like Adding "Taxpayer-Funded Abortion"

By David Weigel | Posted Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2013, at 9:11 AM ET

At a breakfast sponsored by Politico, a shy and retiring John McCain and Chuck Schumer got into a few specifics about how immigration reform could move through Congress.

-snip-

Easily said, not easily done. Republicans talk about this year's first two big votes, on the "fiscal cliff" and on Hurricane Sandy relief, as outliers. They can't break the "Hastert rule" on picayune social issues! But McCain admitted that immigration reform may only pass if they're willing to pad their bloc with Democratic votes.

There were very few questions about potential poison pills, or "triggers," which could sink the bill. All McCain said was that the "group of eight" (I still prefer Octogang, per my colleague Matt Yglesias) would band together to kill amendments that could kill the bill. Politico's Mike Allen asked whether LGBT protections, part of the president's framework, could be included in the bill.

"I think it is a red herring," scoffed McCain add that, and you may as well add "taxpayer-funded abortion." Social issues would bring down the legislation. "Which is more important, LGBT or border security? Huh? I'll tell you what my priorities are."

-30-

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/01/30/mccain_adding_lgbt_protections_to_immigration_bill_would_be_like_adding.html?wpisrc=newsletter_jcr:content

5 replies, 623 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply McCain: Adding LGBT Protections to Immigration Bill Would Be Like Adding "Taxpayer-Funded Abortion" (Original post)
DonViejo Jan 2013 OP
Angry Dragon Jan 2013 #1
Grey Jan 2013 #2
sakabatou Jan 2013 #3
Proud Liberal Dem Jan 2013 #4
jinx1 Jan 2013 #5

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:23 AM

1. angry old white man

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:54 AM

2. Both sound like a good idea.

"taxpayer-funded abortion and LGBT protections."

Which is why they won't happen.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:36 PM

3. Lemme get my clue-by-four...

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:38 PM

4. Will this be their "excuse" to back out?

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:06 PM

5. Nothing delicate about that claim...

Does he even know that partners of gays do not get the same benefits from immigration that their counterparts enjoy. Sure he does...but he does't care about their votes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread