HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Hagel Supports Nuclear Ar...

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:10 PM

Hagel Supports Nuclear Arms Cuts, Then Elimination

WASHINGTON Chuck Hagel, the likely next secretary of defense, would be the first to enter the Pentagon as a public advocate for sharply reducing the number of U.S. nuclear weapons, possibly without equivalent cuts by Russia. He supports an international movement called Global Zero that favors eliminating all nuclear weapons.

That puts him outside the orthodoxy embraced by many of his fellow Republicans but inside a widening circle of national security thinkers including President Barack Obama who believe nuclear weapons are becoming more a liability than an asset, less relevant to 21st century security threats like terrorism.

"Sen. Hagel certainly would bring to office a more ambitious view on nuclear reductions than his predecessors," said Steven Pifer, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. "While he would likely take a less dramatic position in office, it might not be a bad thing to have a secretary of defense question what nuclear deterrence requires today."

The customary stance of defense secretaries in the nuclear age has been that the weapons are a necessary evil, a required ingredient in American defense strategy that can be discarded only at the nation's peril.

MORE...

http://journalstar.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/hagel-supports-nuclear-arms-cuts-then-elimination/article_a48f906b-8e57-5d81-89a8-821b39778a7d.html

4 replies, 660 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hagel Supports Nuclear Arms Cuts, Then Elimination (Original post)
Purveyor Jan 2013 OP
patrice Jan 2013 #1
jenmito Jan 2013 #2
Raine1967 Jan 2013 #3
bananas Jan 2013 #4

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:35 PM

1. KICKING!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:25 PM

2. This is another reason why so much money from RWers is being used to try to destroy him. n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:31 PM

3. This is why I have never had a problem with him.

Republican, yes -- I understand, but his stance on nuclear weapons is important to me.

I happily Kick this!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:32 PM

4. "Outside the Republican orthodoxy but inside a widening circle of national security thinkers"

We're growing - join us!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread