HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » "Most of us used to ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:02 PM

"Most of us used to be them". Obama's making a passionate, articulate case for immigration reform.

It's happening now, will probably be available on video resources later.

11 replies, 1503 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Most of us used to be them". Obama's making a passionate, articulate case for immigration reform. (Original post)
pinto Jan 2013 OP
jwirr Jan 2013 #1
pinto Jan 2013 #3
jwirr Jan 2013 #7
Lesmoderesstupides Jan 2013 #4
Cha Jan 2013 #2
pinto Jan 2013 #5
healthnut7 Jan 2013 #6
Hekate Jan 2013 #9
John2 Jan 2013 #10
jenmito Jan 2013 #8
Zoeisright Jan 2013 #11

Response to pinto (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:14 PM

1. When I heard the rules on MSNBC last night I thought = they sound like the laws my ancestors had

to go through when they came from Germany in the 1850s. The difference of course is that they were coming in and not already here. As far as I can see that should not make any difference.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jwirr (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:19 PM

3. I think the main emphasis here is undocumented residents already working and living here.

Not sure on your point, but I think there ought to be a level field, as far as possible.

Reply to this post

Response to pinto (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:54 PM

7. You are correct about the jobs. My ancestors had skills but came without jobs.

Reply to this post

Response to jwirr (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:20 PM

4. They did the same shit to the Irish, Italians, Chinese, etc…

At one time in America there were more German Language Newspapers then English Language Newspapers

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:17 PM

2. Thanks pinto! Good on Pres Obama!

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:24 PM

5. He did a good job. Big on the broad issues and encouraging Congress to act.

They hold the specific legislative options. I'd call this a "bully pulpit" speech.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:32 PM

6. My thoughts

Yes lots are here that are undocumented but none of this would have happened if people didn't hire
them under the table, in the first place. I would bet that many of the people hiring them are wealthy and pay them alot less money
then they would if they hired Americans. Also the work that they do, most Americans don't want those jobs.
When you go into Nevada and stay in any hotel most of the cleaning people are spanish. In the fields it is spanish
that are working in the hot sun. In other words most of the jobs they do, the owners do not have a waiting list of American
citizens wanting to work at and if they do would not accept the same pay...

Reply to this post

Response to healthnut7 (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:51 PM

9. They are not Spanish (from Spain). You make a few good points, though...

They are not Spanish (from Spain). They speak Spanish (from Mexico,Central & South America).

Their use of the Spanish language is why these folks are often referred to as Hispanic in much of the US. In California we usually say Latino, which refers to Latin America. Neither term is considered a slur.

You make some good points though.

I would add, however, a couple of things.

One is that the US has gone from a largely rural country, where many people had farm-worker skills and working in the hot sun was common, to a mostly urban population that is entirely ignorant of these skills. No matter how unemployed a given group may be, they are not going to migrate to the countryside and pick broccoli or render chickens.

The urban unemployed are going to stay where they are, or move to another city, and look for work they already know how to do, whether it be programming, data input or working in a warehouse.

The kind of work immigrants from rural cultures are willing to do is extremely hard, dirty, dangerous, and very very poorly paid. If these jobs were better paid and had better enforcement of OSHA regulations, and especially if they were unionized, native born Americans actually might apply to more of them.

Secondly, most of the other jobs (i.e. hotel and restaurant work) are certainly ones that more native-born Americans would do if they paid a living wage. I suggest unionization for these as well.

At one time in history, unionization made an incalculable difference in Hawai'i. Without it, the majority of the population would have been peons.

Reply to this post

Response to healthnut7 (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:59 PM

10. I think many are

already Americans. They may not be U.S. citizens but people across the border are Americans. I have no problem with people migrating myself. I agree with the native Americans' philosphy. There was once upon a time, a man was only judged by his character and not by the color of his skin. I guess some people threw that philosophy out.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:14 PM

8. K&R. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:18 AM

11. Most people are too stupid to understand that.

"I was born in this here US of A and I'm a real American and I hate furriners and God bless the US of A!"

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread