HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Obama Will Include Same-S...

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:43 AM

Obama Will Include Same-Sex Couples In Immigration Plan

Same-sex couples will be a part of the proposal for addressing immigration reform that President Obama is scheduled to unveil Tuesday in Las Vegas, BuzzFeed has confirmed with multiple sources familiar with the White House plan.

A Democratic source said: "Same-sex couples will be part of his proposal." A second source confirmed that, unlike the Senate framework released Monday, same-sex bi-national couples those with one American and one foreign partner will be included in the White House principles.

The decision by Obama seeks to remedy what advocates for same-sex couples view as one of the most searing inequalities under the existing federal limit on marriage to one man and one woman: LGBT American citizens simply have no way to confer citizenship on their romantic partners, something that is automatic if not always simple for straight couples.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/obama-will-include-same-sex-couples-in-immigration

2 replies, 589 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama Will Include Same-Sex Couples In Immigration Plan (Original post)
Drunken Irishman Jan 2013 OP
Bluenorthwest Jan 2013 #1
jinx1 Jan 2013 #2

Response to Drunken Irishman (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:32 AM

1. Long time coming, and some credit to John Kerry who has long sought these changes...

this is very important.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Drunken Irishman (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:55 PM

2. Real Equality in action

While I think this will be a hard sell, I support this important addition to the immigration legislation.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread