HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » The GOP’s Big Sequester B...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:51 PM

The GOP’s Big Sequester Bluff

BRIAN BEUTLER JANUARY 28, 2013, 1:20 PM

The Republican Party has become awfully sanguine about the sequester. That’s not to say that they’re enthusiastic about the fact that it will cut government programs — particularly defense programs — across the board. But after losing back-to-back tax and spending fights — over the fiscal cliff and the debt limit — they’re telegraphing a willingness to let the sequester take an axe to the budget. Or at least that they’re more willing to let it hit than Democrats are.

“We think these sequesters will happen because the Democrats have opposed our efforts to replace those cuts with others-and they’ve offered no alternatives,” said the House GOP’s top budget guy, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), Sunday on NBC’s Meet The Press.

“I’m pretty sure it is going to happen now,” House Armed Services Committee Chairman Buck McKeon (R-CA) told Politico. “I guess the feeling is until everybody feels enough pain, we’re not going to do the things that we really need to do. And that scares me.”

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) recently told the Wall Street Journal that the sequester “ as much leverage as we’re going to get.”

-snip-

more:
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/01/the-gops-big-sequester-bluff.php?ref=fpa

2 replies, 749 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply The GOP’s Big Sequester Bluff (Original post)
DonViejo Jan 2013 OP
Still Sensible Jan 2013 #1
ROBROX Jan 2013 #2

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:51 PM

1. Posturing Bluster

Their MIC overlords will straighten out their thinking in short order IMO.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 06:38 PM

2. CUT DOD 50%

There is a lot of fat officers which could use a pay cut. This veteran says don't cut the pay or benefits of the ENLISTED. Bring home our troops from Europe and other places which we do not require this country to spend money to support our troops.

The DOD should only BUY equipment that works and no more of the equipment, jets, etc. that DOES NOT WORK.

This country still requires a STRONG navy and maybe some great jets.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread