Sat Jan 26, 2013, 12:17 PM
DonViejo (17,540 posts)
Five Reasons Bobby Jindal Is Responsible For Transforming The GOP Into ‘The Stupid Party’
By Annie-Rose Strasser on Jan 25, 2013 at 12:15 pm
...before Jindal begins giving advice to members of his own party, he might consider how his own record is alienating mainstream voters:
1. He permits Louisiana schools to teach creationism. Thanks to Jindal’s educational voucher system in Louisiana, students will be attending private or parochial schools on the taxpayer’s dime. But those schools don’t necessarily meet the standards of the state’s public schools, and may teach students creationism instead of standard science curricula.
2. He allows state employees to be fired for being gay. During his first few months as governor, Jindal decided not to renew an anti-discrimination executive order protecting LGBT employees who work for the state. Jindal has also said that same sex marriage opens up a path for courts to overturn the Second Amendment.
3. He has signed bills to intimidate women seeking abortions. Jindal compared women who have gotten abortions to criminals. But that unpalatable sentiment also came with a policy change — he signed a bill that requires all abortion clinics to post intimidating messages in their waiting rooms, and establishes a website that points women to crisis pregnancy centers instead of abortion-providing facilities. Jindal also signed a measure creating a 24-hour waiting period between a woman’s mandatory ultrasound and the date of her abortion.
4. He seeks to dramatically cut taxes for the wealthy, increase taxes for everyone else. Jindal’s latest tax proposal would raise taxes for 80 percent of Louisianians. The poorest 20 percent — with an average income of $12,000 — would face substantial tax increases, while those in the top one percent would on average get a tax cut of $25,423.
5. He refuses to provide health care for Louisiana’s poorest. Louisiana has the third highest uninsured rate in the country. Twenty percent of residents lack insurance of any kind. But as one of the governors vehemently opposed to Obamacare, Jindal turned down the Medicaid expansion offered under the law, ignoring the fact that it would drastically lower the numbers of uninsured and ultimately save the state money on emergency care.
4 replies, 1191 views
Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Five Reasons Bobby Jindal Is Responsible For Transforming The GOP Into ‘The Stupid Party’ (Original post)
|Jackpine Radical||Jan 2013||#1|
Response to DonViejo (Original post)
Sat Jan 26, 2013, 12:33 PM
Jackpine Radical (45,274 posts)
1. I guess there are some Americans so locked into their sexually twisted rage
and perverse religiosity that they would willingly go without health care and see their children starve as long as nobody can get an abortion and gays can be made to suffer.
I don't believe in the concept of Original Sin--I think Original Blessing is more like it, so I remain in perpetual astonishment at the ability of humans to annihilate within themselves the empathy and compassion that is the birthright of normal human beings.