HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » The sheriff of the larges...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:44 PM

The sheriff of the largest Sheriff's Department in Utah has weighed in on Obama's gun plan.

If you'll remember, there was a story a few days ago about Utah sheriffs warning Obama about his gun policy. This letter did not include the largest department in Utah - the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Department. While they don't belong to the Utah Sheriff's Association, the Sheriff, James Winder (a Democrat), released the following statement:

However, after a review of the proposals suggested by the Obama Administration, we agree with the association president that currently there is nothing proposed that we object to and we can find no reason to believe that there would ever be a situation where federal officers would be permitted to descend upon our constituents and take from them their rights. We are confident in the process that Congress and the courts will continue to protect our rights as established.

http://www.facebook.com/SheriffJWinder/posts/10151447764751155

My guess this won't go over extremely well in Salt Lake County, which is still a fairly conservative county (and by the comments to his post, you can tell it's not a popular decision). But I'm glad he's standing up on this issue and not letting misinformation dictate the debate.

5 replies, 1087 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply The sheriff of the largest Sheriff's Department in Utah has weighed in on Obama's gun plan. (Original post)
Drunken Irishman Jan 2013 OP
UtahLib Jan 2013 #1
dsc Jan 2013 #2
Drunken Irishman Jan 2013 #3
dsc Jan 2013 #4
Drunken Irishman Jan 2013 #5

Response to Drunken Irishman (Original post)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:14 AM

1. I'm thankful that one of our few Democrats is speaking out.

Perhaps because my daughter and her husband are Democratic activists in SLC, I was beginning to hope SLC was becoming a little more Democratic. Residing in Utah County (a repub stronghold) myself, I see far too many self styled "cowboy" blowhards grasping at any opportunity to pound their chests.

The Tribune has an article about Sheriff Winder's letter too. There are a few sane and informative comments but many that seem to be right in line with teabagger garbage. Very disappointing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Drunken Irishman (Original post)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:35 AM

2. actually Salt Lake City is pretty liberal

and I have to assume the county isn't much bigger than the city.

Reply to this post

Response to dsc (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:43 AM

3. Pretty liberal by Utah standards. But no, it isn't.

Romney won Salt Lake County 58-38 over Obama, though Obama did carry it 48.17 to 49.09 in '08. It's one of the more liberal counties in the state, but at best it's centrist. As for the county being much bigger than the city - it is. Salt Lake has a population of roughly 190,000 and Salt Lake County is over one-million strong now.

Reply to this post

Response to Drunken Irishman (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:49 AM

4. guess that is pretty brave of the sheriff then

Reply to this post

Response to dsc (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:52 AM

5. Yup.

I hope it doesn't backfire. He's been a good sheriff and so much better than our last, corrupt one. I think he's up for reelection in 2014, so, nearly two years. By then, this whole thing could have blown over.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread