HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Obamaís best days are pro...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 02:11 PM

Obamaís best days are probably ahead

His second term could produce the broad, sustained popularity that eluded him in his first

BY STEVE KORNACKI

Itís not surprising that President Obama clocks in near the bottom of a list compiled by Gallup of average first-term approval ratings for presidents in the postwar era. Obamaís average score of 49.1 percent places him ahead only of Gerald Ford (47.2 percent) and Jimmy Carter (45.5 percent), while the highest numbers belong to Lyndon Johnson (74.2 percent) and John F. Kennedy (70.1 percent).

Itís actually a fairly misleading list. Johnsonís first term, for instance, is defined as the 14 months between Kennedyís assassination and the 1965 inaugural Ė a period defined by unprecedented national unity that benefited the new president enormously. Or thereís George H.W. Bush, who was drummed out of office with just 37 percent of the vote in 1992; but his average approval rating sits at over 60 percent, thanks to the astronomical numbers he racked up in the wake of the 1991 Gulf War.

In terms of understanding the trajectory of Obamaís presidency, the list is useful in two ways. For one, itís a reminder of the consistently rocky political terrain he spent the last four years navigating. The story line is well-known but worth repeating once more: He inherited two wars and an economy in a free fall that hadnít been seen since the Depression and faced a Republican Party that changed the norms of opposition party behavior in its quest to derail his agenda, deny him bipartisan achievements, and depress his poll numbers. In this context, Obamaís average approval (and his ability to win reelection by nearly 5 million votes) is rather remarkable.

It also speaks to the opportunity that comes with the start of his second term: a chance to achieve and sustain a broader level of popularity and to make continuity a major theme of 2016 presidential race.

-snip-

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/21/obamas_best_days_are_probably_ahead/

3 replies, 488 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obamaís best days are probably ahead (Original post)
DonViejo Jan 2013 OP
samsingh Jan 2013 #1
kestrel91316 Jan 2013 #2
bowens43 Jan 2013 #3

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 02:13 PM

1. yay

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 02:25 PM

2. I've felt this way all along. I hope he proves me right and barrels ahead with

a truly progressive second term.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 02:47 PM

3. I hope so.. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread