HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Gingrich: Obama ‘potentia...

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:38 PM

Gingrich: Obama ‘potentially’ allowing Syria’s ‘virus’ to infect the U.S.

By David Edwards
Sunday, January 20, 2013 14:10 EST

Former Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich says that President Barack Obama’s policies are allowing a “worldwide virus” of terrorism from places like North Africa and Syria to destabilize the planet and “potentially” infect Europe and the United States.

Gingrich on Sunday told CNN’s Candy Crowley that a recent hostage crisis at a gas plant in Algeria was evidence that terrorism was more like a virus than “Whac-A-Mole.”

“I think we haven’t had any honest epidemiology,” he explained. “We’re trying to hunt down 5,000 people in al Qaeda, there is a potential pool of 65 to 100 million recruits… They’re spreading across the whole planet, from the Philippines to, frankly, the United States. And I think we greatly underestimate how many places you’re going to have trouble in the next decade.”

“We talk about the Iranian potential nuclear weapon, Pakistan is probably building more nuclear weapons than any other country in the world right now,” he continued. “Pakistan is a very fragile system which could disintegrate at any time. We’re not prepared for that. The whole challenge of the Persian Gulf, we’re not prepared for that. The level of violence in Syria.”

-snip-

Raw Story (http://s.tt/1yHYq)

12 replies, 1452 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gingrich: Obama ‘potentially’ allowing Syria’s ‘virus’ to infect the U.S. (Original post)
DonViejo Jan 2013 OP
JimDandy Jan 2013 #1
NutmegYankee Jan 2013 #2
JimDandy Jan 2013 #4
LeftInTX Jan 2013 #3
Warren Stupidity Jan 2013 #5
Sunlei Jan 2013 #6
Paladin Jan 2013 #7
agentS Jan 2013 #8
flying-skeleton Jan 2013 #9
Initech Jan 2013 #10
Comrade_McKenzie Jan 2013 #11
muriel_volestrangler Jan 2013 #12

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:43 PM

1. Posting mainly negative posts on the Prez

on his inaguration day is a bit low.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JimDandy (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:48 PM

2. I think it's more damaging for his opponents.

It highlights how unhinged the opposition really is.

Reply to this post

Response to NutmegYankee (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:56 PM

4. I think the opposition can do the dirty work

themselves then, on this day of days.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:52 PM

3. Talk about fearmongering.

Blah, blah, blah

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 06:36 PM

5. I'm thinking "al Qaeda in America" is a very long way off.

But color me confused, aren't we supposed to be in favor of toppling evile dictators like Assad? So what virus is that asshat talking about, the democracy virus? Yah I could see how that would be a threat to the tiny slice of people at the top of our plutocracy.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 07:18 PM

6. as we knock out the very few educated leadership it takes them years if ever to recover that loss.

and the hostages, if we and the uk went in there and handled that rescue we would have had a better outcome.

But noooo congress won't even let the usa assist France against the attacking al Qaeda..they would rather have old Gingrich whine on TV about the 'spreading threat.'

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 08:28 PM

7. Why Is This Clueless Jerk-Off Still Allowed A Public Forum? (nt)

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 08:46 PM

8. Gingrich is 89% correct on this issue. We should harken his words.

What he gets wrong is the religious beliefs and race of the threat.
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal-a/2013_01/can_patriots_be_terrorists042490.php
A new study has been published by the U.S. Military Academy’s Combatting Terrorism Center analyzing the potential threat of far-right groups espousing violence to achieve their goals.

In other words- Gingrich's very strong supporters are the threat.
The West Point center typically focuses reports on al Qaeda and other Islamic extremists attempting to gain power in Asia, the Middle East and Africa through violence. But its latest study turns inward and paints a broad brush of people it considers “far right.”
It says anti-federalists “espouse strong convictions regarding the federal government, believing it to be corrupt and tyrannical, with a natural tendency to intrude on individuals’ civil and constitutional rights. Finally, they support civil activism, individual freedoms, and self government. Extremists in the anti-federalist movement direct most their violence against the federal government and its proxies in law enforcement.”
The report also draws a link between the mainstream conservative movement and the violent “far right,” and describes liberals as “future oriented” and conservatives as living in the past.

I think the GOP and the Koch brothers are as much of a threat to the safety and security of the US as the AL-Qaeda factions around the world.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 01:47 AM

9. Gingrich is HIMSELF a virus unleashed on the world by the Republicans !!

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 02:00 AM

10. Says the guy who wants to turn the moon into a military base by 2020.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 02:16 AM

11. "65 to 100 million recruits"

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 07:21 AM

12. I presume he's shilling for the MIC and mercenary organisations

That's why he claims Kerry and Hagel are "minimalist", and don't have a "positive vision" for "dealing with a worldwide virus". He wants huge spending on the military, and 'security' - both 'homeland' and CIA amd Blackwater-style stuff abroad - that's what he sees as 'positive'.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread