HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » At what point do "co...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:39 AM

At what point do "conservatives" shrink so much that we can drown "conservatism" in a bathtub?

I have heard it suggested that liberals are going to alienate to people by seeking to ban military style weapons and high capacity magazines. But where is any thinking person to turn? To a Mitt Romney? To John Boner or Mitch McChinless? To this guy from Whole Foods? To Wayne LaPierre or Rush Limbaugh?

Really? We have a long way to go to catch up with "conservatives" in terms of being over the top, outrageous, and out of touch. I don't mean to ask this question as a gun issue--I just add that part of it for perspective here.

I see "conservatives" getting worse, not better. They have abdicated their position of loyal opposition with total crap like birtherism, which amazingly caught a little more press recently, and their dog whistles and their denialism and total inability to compromise and with everything else that's simply too much to list. Do "conservatives" actually have anything to offer beyond their empty bumper sticker slogans like "small government" and "fiscal conservatism?" I say empty because when have they ever made government smaller?

Never. Government only grows as the population grows.

And where were they when Bush and Reagan were running up debt? Fiscal conservatism? Really?

Again, I can go on and on but the point is that these people are just getting crazier and more obnoxious and more toxic, and thankfully their tactics aren't working. They can periodically muster some approval for their slogans but if you drill down people still oppose their policies. I think it's safe to deem "conservatism" to be a failure. Their revival is certainly possible and we cannot let up, but that revival is nowhere on the horizon. So at what point do we drown "conservatism" in a bathtub and replace it with a more reasonable and functional iteration--something that's actually conservative?

9 replies, 857 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply At what point do "conservatives" shrink so much that we can drown "conservatism" in a bathtub? (Original post)
Cary Jan 2013 OP
BlueCaliDem Jan 2013 #1
Cary Jan 2013 #2
BlueCaliDem Jan 2013 #3
ReallyIAmAnOptimist Jan 2013 #4
brooklynite Jan 2013 #5
Cary Jan 2013 #8
ThoughtCriminal Jan 2013 #6
Cary Jan 2013 #7
Special Prosciuto Jan 2013 #9

Response to Cary (Original post)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:45 AM

1. These people won't change their minds - as far out of them as they are.

The only way to shrink Cons to the point that conservatism can be drowned in a bathtub, is for states with Democratic Governors and Democratic Legislatures to do a Tom Delay this year, and redistrict just as he had done for the 2014 mid-terms. Hey, the Supreme Court deemed Delay's tactic constitutional and valid to redistrict in an off-year, so that's what those states need to do in order to gain more U.S. House seats for Democrats.

If we're all waiting for these misinformed people to wake up and finally vote with reason and common sense, we can wait until the next ice age. They're deeply buried in their hate for all things not wacko, and that's not going to change for at least another two, three generations. In the meantime, the U.S. House, so horribly gerrymandered, will remain in Republican hands, I'm afraid.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BlueCaliDem (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:47 AM

2. The will not wake up but they will die off naturally.

And they will be replaced.

Reply to this post

Response to Cary (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:03 PM

3. Unfortunately, they breed.

And they pass their hatred on to their children who take the earth-scorching torch and run with it. I know too many young people who are staunch Republicans because their parents are. This is almost genetic.

But I hope and pray you're correct - that their children will have an epiphany and their eyes open before this country goes down the tubes. Otherwise, the quicker, more sure-fire way to get this country moving forward is redistricting.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:23 PM

4. Dems/liberals need to claim the mantel of the actual "fiscal conservatives"...

Conservatives have not been fiscally responsible in the 35 years I've been a voting adult...

Conservatives like to call Dems "tax and spend liberals",
We badly need to a catchy phrase for what they do:

*cut taxes while going on spending sprees
*to create an excuse to cut the social safety net and earned benefits
*while bankrupting the country
*and lining the pockets of the military industrial complex and the banksters

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 02:50 PM

5. Can we please be realistic?

There is a difference between "Conservatives" and "Conservative Leaders". There will ALWAYS be people who espouse a conservative philosophy and the the Republicans or the Tea Party aren't there for them, they'll create a new group.

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 04:15 PM

8. Pssst.

It was meant to be a turn around play on Grover.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 03:22 PM

6. It will never happen

Because long before we get to that point, the only conservatives left will be the people who do not bathe.

Reply to this post

Response to ThoughtCriminal (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 04:14 PM

7. Ha!

I wasn't aware that contemporary "conservatives" bathe.

Learn something new every day.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:30 PM

9. They are more deserving of a swirl down the toilet

rather than any time in a bath.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread