HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Virginia Mandatory Ultras...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 05:55 PM

Virginia Mandatory Ultrasound Law's Repeal Blocked By State GOP

Virginia Mandatory Ultrasound Law's Repeal Blocked By State GOP

A Republican-controlled committee in the Virginia State Senate voted 8-7 on Thursday to block Democrats' efforts to repeal a new mandatory ultrasound law and a set of regulations that could shut down many abortion clinics in the state. The committee also voted down a new anti-abortion bill that would have prevented Medicaid from paying for low-income women's abortions in cases where there is a severe fetal anomaly.

Virginia Republicans attracted national criticism in early 2012 when they proposed a bill requiring women to undergo invasive, medically unnecessary transvaginal ultrasound procedures before having an abortion. Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) later helped Republicans revise the bill to require only external, "jelly-on-the-belly" procedures, and he signed that version into law.

State Sen. Ralph Northam (D), the only physician in the senate, proposed a bill that would repeal the mandatory ultrasound law because he says it violates the privacy and sanctity of the doctor-patient relationship. "I am giving you the opportunity to right the wrong committed last year," he told committee members on Thursday.

The Medical Society of Virginia and the Virginia American College of Obstetricians testified in favor of repealing the ultrasound bill, echoing Northam's concerns.

-snip-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/17/virginia-ultrasound-repeal_n_2497436.html

5 replies, 989 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Virginia Mandatory Ultrasound Law's Repeal Blocked By State GOP (Original post)
Tx4obama Jan 2013 OP
Gin Jan 2013 #1
forestpath Jan 2013 #2
trayfoot Jan 2013 #3
Duppers Jan 2013 #4
greymattermom Jan 2013 #5

Response to Tx4obama (Original post)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 06:01 PM

1. I live in Virginia.....

And I am almost embarrassed to admit that.

Between vaginal probes.......and gun show loop holes....this state is becoming a laughing stock.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Gin (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 06:05 PM

2. +1 So do I.

Reply to this post

Response to forestpath (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 07:34 PM

3. AMEN to both of you!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:14 AM

4. Dr. Ralph Northam (D)

I love the man! He was my son's pediatrician and, of course, I voted for him.

Geesh! These damn rethugians! "...prevented Medicaid from paying for low-income women's abortions in cases where there is a severe fetal anomaly." Yet, they want NO help for these poor babies after they're born, essentially advocating post-delivery abortions!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:37 AM

5. so how specific is the law actually?

Does it name the equipment, resolution, etc that must be achieved, or could a low cost, less invasive method that complies with the letter of the law be achieved? If it does name all of those factors, it's probably already obsolete.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread