HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Poll: Nearly half of Repu...

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:28 PM

Poll: Nearly half of Republicans take President's side, say cuts should be separate from debt limit

Nearly half of Republicans also take the presidentís side when it comes to one important aspect of the intense debate over the nationís debt limit: that the issue of raising the borrowing limit should be separate from the identification of spending cuts.

Republican leaders in Congress have drawn a hard line that such cuts are essential to any legislative deal to raise the debt ceiling. Republicans in the poll, however, are divided on the issue: 48 percent say any increase in the debt limit should be tied to cuts, while nearly as many, 45 percent, say that the two issues should be isolated, discrete issues.

The general public sides with Obama on this question: 58 percent say cuts should be a separate matter, and 36 percent say they should be knotted with the borrowing limit. Obama also has the trust edge here: 49 percent say they have more confidence in him to handle the issue, compared with 35 percent who put more faith in the GOP.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/most-see-obama-as-strong-leader-say-deal-on-debt-ceiling-does-not-require-cuts/2013/01/15/f32e4fc8-5f64-11e2-a389-ee565c81c565_story.html

WOW!!

3 replies, 896 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Poll: Nearly half of Republicans take President's side, say cuts should be separate from debt limit (Original post)
Cali_Democrat Jan 2013 OP
Nika Jan 2013 #1
freshwest Jan 2013 #2
TxDemChem Jan 2013 #3

Response to Cali_Democrat (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:58 PM

1. This sort of polling should melt the leadership of the Repug minion in Congress like the

Wicked Witch of the West after a bucket of water being thrown her way.

I don't see them as having the gravitas to steam roll President Obama with the debt limit game again.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:07 PM

2. This needs media attention. People are waking up to what 'starve the beast' advocates are doing.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 06:48 PM

3. This may be asking too much

But I just hope that these repubs are seeing that their party is willing to do them damage in the name of ideology. At some point they would have to start voting for their best interests. But I could be hoping for too much.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread