HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » President Obama Appoints ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 06:08 PM

President Obama Appoints Female Judges At Twice The Rate Of Bush

Obama Appoints Female Judges At Twice The Rate Of Bush

According to data from the Federal Judicial Center, President Obama appointed just one fewer women to the federal bench during his four years in office than President George W. Bush did in eight. Obama appointed 70 judges to lifetime positions on the federal bench, including Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan. Bush appointed just 71 after two full terms in the White House.

Overall, about 41 percent of Obama’s confirmed nominees to the bench are women. Sadly, this places him well ahead of his predecessors. Indeed, until the Carter Administration, female federal judges were exceptionally rare. Presidents Kennedy, Nixon and Ford appointed just one woman each to the federal bench:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/01/11/1430941/in-less-than-one-term-obama-appointed-nearly-as-many-women-judges-as-bush-did-in-two/

p.s. I am not sure why the author used the word 'Sadly' in the article. I think Obama's appointments is something to cheer about!

8 replies, 1388 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply President Obama Appoints Female Judges At Twice The Rate Of Bush (Original post)
Tx4obama Jan 2013 OP
samsingh Jan 2013 #1
MrSlayer Jan 2013 #2
Tx4obama Jan 2013 #3
Cha Jan 2013 #4
gkhouston Jan 2013 #5
ellisonz Jan 2013 #8
dsc Jan 2013 #6
Tx4obama Jan 2013 #7

Response to Tx4obama (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 06:13 PM

1. repugs seem to hate women

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 06:16 PM

2. And none get confirmed.

These Republicans are unbelievable in their obstruction. What they do should be illegal.

Reply to this post

Response to MrSlayer (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 06:39 PM

3. The article and graph up in the OP is about the ones that HAVE been 'confirmed'

Edited to add...

I posted a graph a while back that showed the statistics regarding gender and ethnicity for 'all appointments/nominations' (confirmed AND not confirmed) but I can't seem to find that post right now.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:59 PM

4. Maybe the writer at ThinkProgress was being facetious?

That's the only reason that makes sense.

Thanks for link, Tx.. not sad news at all.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 10:00 PM

5. Probably twice the IQ as well, considering Harriet Miers.

Reply to this post

Response to gkhouston (Reply #5)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 03:26 AM

8. I had forgotten about Harriet Miers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_Miers

I sure don't miss those dark days of the Bush Years.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 10:15 PM

6. they mean sadly because

frankly prior to Carter the record stank up the joint, and when you consider the progress women have made overall the two Bushes did pretty badly as well. Carter's 15%, while it looks bad, should be taken in context, a person named a federal judge in 1980 or before would likely have graduated law school in at the latest the 1960's. Carter, given the percent of those grads who were women, did petty well. But it still is a sad overall record. There is no reason the Bushes couldn't have outperformed their Democratic predecessors and they sure didn't.

Reply to this post

Response to dsc (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 10:24 PM

7. Well, I think the paragraph was poorly written. So, I've rewritten it below :)

"Overall, about 41 percent of Obama’s confirmed nominees to the bench are women. Sadly, this places him well ahead of his predecessors. Indeed, until the Carter Administration, female federal judges were exceptionally rare. Presidents Kennedy, Nixon and Ford appointed just one woman each to the federal bench.."

Overall, about 41 percent of Obama’s confirmed nominees to the bench are women, this places him well ahead of his predecessors. Sadly, until the Carter Administration, female federal judges were exceptionally rare. Presidents Kennedy, Nixon and Ford appointed just one woman each to the federal bench...

I moved the word 'Sadly' to the next sentence

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread