The mother of one of the children shot dead in last month’s elementary school massacre said Thursday she’s disappointed she hasn’t had an opportunity to be heard in the discussion over gun control in Washington, DC. Veronique Pozner’s 6-year-old son, Noah, was among 20 first-graders killed by a gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown.
“As the mother of a six year old victim of a cold-blooded massacre of school children, I am puzzled and disappointed by the fact that I have had no information or opportunity to be heard regarding the upcoming legislative proposal in Washington,” she said in a statement released by her brother, Alexis Haller.
Haller said a White House official he met during President Barack Obama’s visit to Newtown after the Dec. 14 shooting encouraged him to reach out if he had any concerns. He said he asked officials earlier this month if victims’ families would be informed of initiatives stemming from the massacre but never heard back.
A White House spokesman said Thursday the Newtown families will have the chance to share their views before Obama makes any decisions.
“There is no perspective more meaningful in this process than that of a parent who has lost a child,” spokesman Matt Lehrich said in an emailed statement.