HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Two Bills in New Congress...

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 04:06 AM

Two Bills in New Congressional Session Re-Target High Court

Two Bills in New Congressional Session Re-Target High Court

Lawmakers in the new session of Congress have already filed bills going after the U.S. Supreme Court on two old issues: allowing cameras in Supreme Court proceedings, and challenging a 1976 ruling on campaign finance limits.

Representative Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) once again introduced on Friday the Cameras in the Courtroom Act, which would allow television cameras for all open sessions unless the justices decided it would violate the due process of the litigants.

Access to momentous deliberations in the Supreme Court is limited to just 50 seats for the public, Connolly said in a statement. “This limited seating suggests an elitism and propensity of secrecy unworthy of the third branch of our government,” Connolly said.

Representative Ted Poe (R-Texas), a former prosecutor and judge in Texas, is a co-sponsor on the bill. Connolly introduced the same bill a year ago with 23 co-sponsors, but it was referred to the House Judiciary Committee and never seen again.

-snip-

Full article here: http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2013/01/two-bills-in-new-congressional-session-re-target-high-court.html

I would absolutely LOVE it if there were cameras in the Supreme Court so we could watch on C-Span,
but I thought this was an issue for the Supreme Court to decide and agree upon, and not Congress (?) - hmm.

2 replies, 565 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Two Bills in New Congressional Session Re-Target High Court (Original post)
Tx4obama Jan 2013 OP
RudynJack Jan 2013 #1
davidpdx Jan 2013 #2

Response to Tx4obama (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 06:02 AM

1. I agree

we need cameras in the court. They should have the same public exposure as congress. I can't think of any reason for them to object to it, other than vanity.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Tx4obama (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 07:05 AM

2. TV's in the courts would be good

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread