HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » The White House Just Set ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:49 AM

The White House Just Set Gun Rights Activists Ablaze

ver the weekend, the Washington Post reported the gun violence task force led by Vice President Biden is considering gun legislation “far broader and more comprehensive…than simply reinstating an expired ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition.”

News that the White House is considering significant gun control legislation in the wake of the Newtown, Conn. elementary school shooting is music to the ears of gun control advocates, who have waited decades for a serious conversation about guns. But it’s also being welcomed by gun rights groups, who say leaks from the Biden task force are just the thing to push their flock back into the fight.

“ was a Molotov cocktail right into the middle of this thing,” Dave Workman, a former board member at the National Rifle Association, told TPM Monday. “That lit the fuse, it really did.”

Biden has “galvanized the gun community,” Workman said. Though no longer on the NRA board, Workman still spends most of his time advocating for expanded gun rights. He’s an official with the Second Amendment Foundation, communications director for Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, and a prolific writer on the gun rights. Both groups Workman serves on are sponsors of Gun Appreciation Day, a nationwide effort to highlight gun ownership scheduled for the weekend of President Obama’s second inauguration.

-snip-

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/01/white-house-gun-rights-activists.php?ref=fpa

4 replies, 954 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply The White House Just Set Gun Rights Activists Ablaze (Original post)
DonViejo Jan 2013 OP
Recursion Jan 2013 #1
Sunlei Jan 2013 #2
Oglee Jan 2013 #3
Cosmocat Jan 2013 #4

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:42 AM

1. Well, if we're going to lose the white house again, it had better be because of better legislation..

... than the completely pointless AWB.

Go for the handguns.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:45 AM

2. what good is the NRA except to set things ablaze and promote gun sales? America doesn't need the NRA

Reply to this post

Response to Sunlei (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 12:16 AM

3. As a gun owner we do need the NRA

If Feinsteins bill was to be passed as it a lot of guns would be considered "assault weapons". My personal HD weapon a Beretta 92FS would be considered an "Assault Weapon" and would have to either be registered or disposed of.

I am not ok with that, I am ok with some stricter gun laws but to ban any weapon that features a detachable magazine is insane. That would mean my M1 and M14(which I use for hunting) would also be considered "assault weapons" and thus illegal as well.

While there does need to be talk and the NRA is a bit extreme, if it was up to Feinstein every gun out there except for 5 round bolt actions and shotguns would be banned, that is until someone shoots up a school with a Remington 870 that you can buy at Walmart, then those would be targeted next until all guns are banned and hunting is near impossible.

Reply to this post

Response to Oglee (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 05:44 AM

4. banned or ... registered?

not sure what the issue is with being registred?

Cars, dogs ...

All kinds of things are "registered."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread