HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » America Didn’t Vote For D...

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 07:09 PM

America Didn’t Vote For Divided Government

Listening to John Boehner and House Republicans tell it, you’d think that the 2012 election was all about the American people voting to empower the GOP to obstruct the president’s agenda at every turn. “The American people voted for divided government!” so that’s what they’ll get, by golly! They’re just listening to the American people.

But according to the closing tallies of the 2012 election, the American people didn’t vote for the “two sides” to come together and agree to meet Republicans halfway for a deal on a forcible rape-based economy.

SNIP>

Either Republicans are tone deaf, or they just refuse to listen, but because they’ve gerrymandered themselves into majority power in the U.S. House of Representatives for the foreseeable future, they’ll continue to cling to that power and intentionally misread the election. Because everyone knows the American people voted to butcher the safety net to give tax cuts to billionaires and corporations.

Republicans did not win a policy mandate equal to the president, laughable as they insist, and what power they do have, they’ve essentially stolen. They’re not negotiating as equals, as much as they’re negotiating as the various fringe minorities that constitute today’s Republican party.

http://www.bobcesca.com/blog-archives/2013/01/america-didnt-vote-for-divided-government.html

12 replies, 1461 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to sheshe2 (Original post)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 07:29 PM

1. on a few of my excursions over to FR, I noticed that they call Obama ZERO, is that, or was that code

for what they planned to do in the ZERO year (census 2010) with redistricting and making it impossible to take back the house until at least the next ZERO year (2020) ??

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to putitinD (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:15 PM

7. I think it is from his "O" logo. NM

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 07:41 PM

2. I wish we had an independent commission in all 50 states that drew the district maps

That way, all races would at least attempt to be competitive and no seat would be considered "safe". There is no way that the Republicans would control the House of Representatives today if we had independently drawn districts since the Republicans had at least 300,000 fewer votes in House races compared to Democrats.

Reply to this post

Response to xxxsdesdexxx (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:55 AM

10. I agree and disagree

I agree with your opening POV. Having either party draw congressional districts doesn't make much sense to me from either a fairness or governing POV.

I don't agree with your conclusion that the Republican's would not control the House of Representatives if this system were to be implemented. 30 states have Republican Governors, many of those have Republican controlled legislatures (sorry, didn't have time to look up the exact number). Clearly a majority of states prefer Republican policies for their local governance, there is no reason to assume this would not also extend to their choice of Representative.

Reply to this post

Response to foxtrotzulu (Reply #10)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 02:54 PM

11. The comission drawing the district maps would be independent and would be out of the governor's hand

Reply to this post

Response to foxtrotzulu (Reply #10)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 02:58 PM

12. Here's a link with info on the selection process.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 08:32 PM

3. One party

Throw out all the repugs. Let there be one party only to rule us all. We deserve what we want--more taxes on the rich pigs who stole their money from the working people and more spending on the poor people.

Reply to this post

Response to rippinsteo (Reply #3)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 08:33 PM

4. Pouring it on a bit thick, arent we.....

Comrade.

Reply to this post

Response to Vanje (Reply #4)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 08:41 PM

5. +1 n/t

Reply to this post

Response to rippinsteo (Reply #3)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 09:10 PM

6. Hope you like your pizza.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:36 PM

8. republicans have spent billions and years to push their loser crap on Americans.

It will take some time to get rid of current republicans and fix their damages to America.

Their days of map fixing, vote buying, vote blocking, scamming the ignorant with fox lies, are over. The internet exposure will kill those roaches slow and sure.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 08:58 AM

9. They are going to continue to push their devisive politics on the nations

And try to force huge cuts in discretionary spending, while bloating the defense budget so there is no are no other options.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread