HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » From V for Vendetta: &quo...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 03:57 PM

From V for Vendetta: "I remember how different became dangerous."

9 replies, 1547 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply From V for Vendetta: "I remember how different became dangerous." (Original post)
ZRT2209 Jan 2013 OP
cantbeserious Jan 2013 #1
ZRT2209 Jan 2013 #4
cantbeserious Jan 2013 #5
alcibiades_mystery Jan 2013 #2
murielm99 Jan 2013 #3
Dan de Lyons Jan 2013 #6
Myrina Jan 2013 #9
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 #7
whistler162 Jan 2013 #8

Response to ZRT2209 (Original post)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 04:03 PM

1. As The Movie Narrative Unfolds - Different Equals Fear Equals Dangerous Equals Must Be Controlled

Sounds much like America today.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to cantbeserious (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 04:39 PM

4. Strength Through Unity. Unity Through Faith.

Reply to this post

Response to ZRT2209 (Reply #4)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 04:45 PM

5. Sounds Eerily Like A Political Party In The United States

eom

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 04:21 PM

2. Contemporary capitalism doesn't have a problem with "different."

This was much more an issue in the last phase of capitalism, which tended to demand conformity. Today, difference is precisely what the ruling force demands: difference, difference everywhere.

It's precisely why V for Vendetta is a deeply silly movie: it's still fighting the old wars, while the dominant power has already outflanked it. Indeed, because it promotes "difference" as "rebellion" it becomes precisely a vehicle through which the dominant forces in contemporary capitalism can capture populations.

Of course, this is a very unpopular thing for the Left to grok, since the Left today has cut its teeth on the notion that "difference" (as identity) is the primary route to "liberation." (It's why all the lefties love V for Vendetta!). Failing to historicize the way difference operates in terms of today's power, the Left is rendered ineffective, since the very wedge it uses to "rebel" (difference) is precisely that which the power it is supposedly rebelling against desires.

Capitalist domination of the social doesn't hate difference. It demands it.

Reply to this post

Response to alcibiades_mystery (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 04:34 PM

3. Can you post a couple of examples? n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:44 PM

6. YouTube wants single identities for each user

So why does YouTube suddenly wants me to have my own name on all my accounts? I use one id for my music education videos, one id for my experimental videos. I hope someday to use another id for my inspirational videos and another id for my digital electronics teaching videos. But YouTube wants me to be JohnSmith77421 on everything.

Does YouTube think that my digital electronics students will need inspiration while they learn to play the flute?

I am polyphasic. YouTube wants me to be monophasic.

Can you exemplify your premise?

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:27 AM

9. The illusion of 'different' while still promoting 'sameness' ....

... you want to express your individuality so you seek 'out of the ordinary'. so you buy those 'exotic' brands (car, clothes, food, whatever) that turn out to be the same 'exotic' brands that millions of other people buy, which turns into profit for the few mega-corps that own those 'boutique brands' along with the mainstream brands that are now seen as 'common'.

Whenever something truly new and unique comes to fore (see: Rap Music in the early 80's), it is co-opted and made 'mainstream' by the conglomo-marketers while being packaged as 'edgy' and 'different'. The money ultimately all goes to the same few places.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 05:03 AM

7. And it begins like this:

"Ableism; A term used to describe normal assumptions and practices that often lead to unequal treatment of people with apparent or assumed physical, intellectual, or behavioral differences. It could be said, ableism is about categorization and exclusion."

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 06:39 AM

8. I doubt V(whatever) is that old!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread