HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Rep. Louie Gohmert: Assau...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:42 PM

Rep. Louie Gohmert: Assault Weapon = Any Weapon...Like Machetes & Hammers

A Republican congressman lambasted the push for gun control in the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre, stating on Friday that if lawmakers wanted to ban assault weapons, they would have to outlaw “hammers” and “machetes” as well.

Appearing on the Dennis Miller Show, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) told guest host Larry O’Connor that he “refuse to play the game of ‘assault weapon.’ That’s any weapon,” said the Texas congressman. “It’s a hammer. It’s the machetes.”

O’CONNOR: I want to ask you a question about one of your colleagues, Rep. Peter King in New York. He’s a very passionate guy, a great defender, he’s a great patriot. But he’s on board with this assault weapons ban. He was actually on MSNBC yesterday, openly saying, “I don’t understand why anybody would need an assault weapon.” I personally get nervous whenever a politician is asking me as a citizen why I need my right, but can you answer that question for your colleague? He might need some help here. Why would anyone need an assault weapon as they’re defining it?

GOHMERT: I refuse to play the game of “assault weapon.” That’s any weapon. It’s a hammer. It’s the machetes. In Rwanda that killed 800,000 people, an article that came out this week, the massive number that are killed with hammers.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/01/04/1399921/louie-gohmert-hammers/

17 replies, 2083 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Redfairen (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:43 PM

1. Can someone to a mental hold on him for 72 hours to make sure he's SANE?!

Idiot.

And Dennis Miller, go figure.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:01 PM

2. OK, Louie, give me an AR-15 and I'll give you a hammer AND a machete.

We'll meet in a ring. When the bell rings, we get to draw our weapons.

Last man alive wins.

Reply to this post

Response to Cali_Democrat (Reply #2)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 10:18 AM

12. well said! n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:02 PM

3. So go collect big hammers and machetes and keep them on racks in your living room. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:12 PM

4. Hey, DU Gun Enthusiasts! Will This Fuck Up Gohmert's A-Plus NRA Credentials?

Ol' Louie doesn't seem to be toeing the longstanding "No Such Thing As An Assault Weapon" line that you folks have been trying to feed us for years. A hammer is an assault weapon? Hey, works for me.

Reply to this post

Response to Paladin (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:57 PM

6. who cares

Atleast that line of reasoning is logically defensible.

Even the line of reasoning that "all guns are assault weapons" is logically and technically defensible

Arbitrarily labeling some guns assault weapons and others not based on cosmetic characteristics is not.

Reply to this post

Response to bossy22 (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:36 PM

8. Now, Now, Now.

Don't be scornful of those "cosmetic characteristics." They're precisely what make such firearms so irresistible to folks like you.

And by the way---you just described something Louie Gohmert said as being "logically and technically defensible." To grant that sort of compliment to ANYTHING that comes out of any one of Gohmert's bodily cavities isn't just wrong, it's actually sad. Thanks for playing...

Reply to this post

Response to Paladin (Reply #8)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 10:42 PM

9. a broken clock is right twice a day

your failure to understand that shows your ignorance. It is because of people like YOU we are unable to have meaningful conversations on these subjects.

Reply to this post

Response to bossy22 (Reply #9)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 06:15 AM

10. Ah, Yes: The Old "Broken Clock" Tap Dance.

Hey, I'll play along: Being charitable and granting "Broken Clock" Louie a couple of correct minutes a day, means that he's wrong 99.86% of the time---which sounds about right to me. And that's about as close as you and I are going to ever get to a "meaningful conversation." If you want to assume that a hammer is an assault weapon, but a Bushmaster .223 isn't, that's your outlandish cross to bear; it sure as hell isn't the basis for anything remotely like a "meaningful conversation."

By the way: I need to correct something, up-thread: Given what a fascist shit-for-brains lunatic Gohmert is, I just naturally assumed he received an A-plus NRA rating. Turns out, Louie is making do with a mere "A" from the LaPierre/Nugent Axis. Please accept my humble apologies for this understandable error. Why don't you drop Louie a line, and tell him to try a little harder?

Reply to this post

Response to Paladin (Reply #4)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 11:27 AM

13. I think there's a good argument from the left that banning cosmetics isn't enough

And that there needs to be much tighter control on all handguns and semi-automatic weapons. The AWB was mostly about cosmetics. Of course, I don't believe that's a good argument against gun control.

Reply to this post

Response to Hippo_Tron (Reply #13)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 12:53 PM

14. Yeah. If the AWB did what supporters think it did, I would support it

If we want to ban semi-automatics with detachable magazines (or, more likely, reschedule them under the NFA), I'm behind that (though that's a much bigger job to actually accomplish than people seem to think).

Screwing around with how a legal rifle can look is a stupid idea.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:54 PM

5. Just more proof that Louie is the dimmest bulb in Congress

and that's a whole shitload of competition. It's a wonder the man can tie his shoes.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:00 PM

7. Ok, how many machete attacks have we seen in schools?

Dumb****

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 06:51 AM

11. in that case

there is no need for guns at all. Problem solved.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:27 PM

15. You have to consider the source. Idiot !!! The man voted against the Sandy relief

bill yesterday and voted for Allen West for Speaker-- even when he is no longer part of the house. I mean -- at least vote for yourself instead of someone who is not there.
This guy really knows what to do --- his constituents must be very proud of this jerk.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 05:07 PM

16. Was he the guy that said ping pong was more dangerous, too?

what a moran!

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 06:43 PM

17. If I had a hammer right now....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread