HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » White House Plans To Over...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:06 PM

White House Plans To Overwhelm NRA With Rapid Victory

BENJY SARLIN JANUARY 4, 2013, 4:04 PM 10420
The White House and gun control supporters are gearing up for a whirlwind month, with plans to pass reform legislation before outrage over the Sandy Hook massacre has a chance to fade.

While the fiscal cliff has dominated Washington’s attention in recent weeks, lawmakers and activists are laying the groundwork for their big push. Vice President Joe Biden, tasked with heading a commission to investigate gun violence, has been quietly meeting with experts, interest groups, and public officials and is expected to release a set of recommendations within weeks. Boston mayor Thomas Menino, co-chair of Michael Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns, told the Boston Herald this week that an optimistic Biden had assured him that Obama would sign legislation “by the end of January.”

“We had been led to believe their report would come by end of January, but we’re hearing they may want to have something out by January 15, even quicker than expected,” Mark Glaze, director of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, told TPM.

House Democrats are moving ahead with their own plans as well. On Friday, Rep. Mike Thompson (D-CA), chair of the newly created Gun Violence Prevention Task Force, announced the appointment of 12 vice chairs, including Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), the body’s leading voice on gun control. According to a Democratic aide, the group plans to release its recommendations in early February and is already organizing public hearings on the issue.

-snip-

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/01/white-house-nra-gun-victory.php?ref=fpa

2 replies, 841 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply White House Plans To Overwhelm NRA With Rapid Victory (Original post)
DonViejo Jan 2013 OP
bongbong Jan 2013 #1
NewJeffCT Jan 2013 #2

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:48 PM

1. What, no comments from the gungeon?

The Delicate Flowers are shaking in their boots.

"My PRECCCIIIOOOOUSSSSSS! Give it back to me!"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:56 PM

2. I thought Diane Feinstein was putting something on the floor today?

did that not happen?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread