HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Cruz sworn in as Texas' f...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:26 AM

Cruz sworn in as Texas' first Hispanic US senator

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) Tea party darling Ted Cruz was sworn into the U.S. Senate on Thursday and promised to begin his career by introducing a bill he knows will never pass a repeal of "every syllable of every word" of the White House's signature health care reform law.

With Democrats controlling the Senate and Barack Obama as president, "we know to a metaphysical certainly that that bill is not going to pass," Cruz said on a media conference call shortly after taking office as the first Hispanic to represent Texas in the Senate.

But Cruz promised on the campaign trail to propose the repeal and said he'd keep his word. And if an abundance of tilting at legislative windmills is in Cruz's future, keep in mind that he was the longest of long shots to make it even this far.

The former state solicitor general and the son of a Cuban immigrant, Cruz was a virtual unknown when he announced his candidacy, but rode a groundswell of support from grassroots conservatives to shock powerful Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst in the Republican senatorial primary before cruising to victory in November.

More at http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article/Cruz-sworn-in-as-Texas-first-Hispanic-US-senator-4163537.php .

6 replies, 861 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cruz sworn in as Texas' first Hispanic US senator (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jan 2013 OP
TexasProgresive Jan 2013 #1
TexasTowelie Jan 2013 #2
Manifestor_of_Light Jan 2013 #6
Gman Jan 2013 #3
Paladin Jan 2013 #4
a kennedy Jan 2013 #5

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:31 AM

1. Oh! my! Texas cruising to Hell with Ted at the wheel.

Why couldn't we get a nice Mexican American Democrat for the 1st Texas Hispanic senator?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasProgresive (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:44 AM

2. Agreed. Another first that Texans should be ashamed of.

(pardon my grammar).

There were a number of negative comments that appeared with the article so maybe some hope remains for our state.

Good luck, be careful and enjoy the game with the football fans watching the Cotton Bowl tonight in College Station! Expect the liquor to be flowing.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 09:59 AM

6. I enjoyed watching Oklahoma State stomp Purdue in the Cotton Bowl.

I have no interest in football except that hubby is an OSU grad. I even have my orange T shirt!

He hangs his orange and black OSU banner over the front door during games to confuse the natives--we're in Texas.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:36 AM

3. As the Mexican-American community in Texas starts to realize that

Cruz is not Mexican-American, I have heard a lot of folks who don't usually keep track of politics saying, "How the hell did that happen? Un Cubano?

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:51 AM

4. Another Far-Right Asshole Senator From Texas.

How sadly unsurprising.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 09:31 AM

5. Sorry, but crazy eyes bachman is going to do that.....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread