HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Filibuster Reform: Senate...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:20 AM

Filibuster Reform: Senate Plan From Carl Levin, John McCain A Gift To Republicans

A filibuster reform counterproposal put forward by Sens. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), John McCain (R-Ariz.) and six other senators includes a provision that would be a boon to Republicans hoping to tack controversial amendments on to legislation headed for passage.

Debate over the future of the filibuster could begin as early as Thursday, sources close to the situation said, though Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) can postpone it to later in January. The Levin-McCain approach is in competition with a plan put forward by Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), which would still allow the minority to filibuster legislation but would require them to do so by actually speaking on the floor. Merkley told the Washington Post's Greg Sargent that if the Levin-McCain proposal comes to the floor, he'll vote against it and would press others to do the same.

Merkley's plan has enough votes to pass..............

The Levin-McCain approach could also have a surprising consequence: Instead of tipping the balance of power toward the majority, it will leave in place the silent filibuster, which requires 60 votes to override, but would allow amendments to be adopted by a simple majority vote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/filibuster-senate-levin-mccain-reform_n_2397198.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

5 replies, 953 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Filibuster Reform: Senate Plan From Carl Levin, John McCain A Gift To Republicans (Original post)
UCmeNdc Jan 2013 OP
Tx4obama Jan 2013 #1
Mojorabbit Jan 2013 #2
catbyte Jan 2013 #3
Cosmocat Jan 2013 #4
Pryderi Jan 2013 #5

Response to UCmeNdc (Original post)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:42 AM

1. More new info on the link below

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 01:13 AM

2. I can't believe they even contemplated

giving this gift to the republicans. After the past four years with record stonewalling. It just amazes me.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 01:55 AM

3. I am so disappointed in Levin and I let his office know via all possible media.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 05:46 AM

4. Sweet Jesus

Only democrats ...

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 09:01 AM

5. K&R

Reply to this post