HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Targeting the NRA is wort...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:27 PM

Targeting the NRA is worthless

The NRA has too much power and controls too many votes in the Senate to actually think that we are going to have the ability to pass any impactive gun control laws. Does anyone really think that any new gun regulations are actually going to pass through the House? The House "GOP" cannot even agree with each other, so do you really think that the Tea-Bagger Reps are going to vote "yes" for a gun law, no chance. Even if by some type of miracle a bill actually passed and Obama signed it, the NRA would tie this thing up in courts for over a decade, as would the crazy state of Florida where I live. Personally, I own one fire arm which is a relic that was passed down from my Great Grandfather, I have never fired it, so not even sure if it will work, but I support gun regulations. Facing these facts (as stated above), myself and my spouse had a discussion over the weekend if we should purchase a firearm for protection due to the spike in gun violence, as well as the fact that over 1 million Florida residents now have permits to carry concealed weapons. We decided to research buying a fire arm and if we did purchase one then we would require both ourselves, as well as our two daughters to attend a gun safety class if we should decide to purchase a gun. In the meantime, we have decided to purchase a large breed puppy (Bull Mastiff) to not only deter a criminal from entering our home, but also to be a loving friend for our two daughters.

11 replies, 1051 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Targeting the NRA is worthless (Original post)
Mojo2 Dec 2012 OP
SugarShack Dec 2012 #1
graham4anything Dec 2012 #2
corkhead Dec 2012 #3
Squinch Dec 2012 #8
corkhead Dec 2012 #9
Squinch Dec 2012 #11
Scuba Dec 2012 #4
Historic NY Dec 2012 #5
DrewFlorida Dec 2012 #6
jimmy the one Dec 2012 #7
JoePhilly Dec 2012 #10

Response to Mojo2 (Original post)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:30 PM

1. Exactly, go after the members of congress that they support.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:33 PM

2. Mike Bloomberg is the great equalizer against any candidate who is pro NRA

and gladly accept Mike Bloomberg's offer to finance any/all candidates who are for getting guns out of the street

the nra only has a limited amount of funds
mike bloomberg has more

I gladly welcome his help in this so that the NRA will no longer blackmail them

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:35 PM

3. Don't bother even trying because it will fail anyway.

just like any notion about ending slavery, creating a social safety net, or protecting our civil rights.

Trying to pass laws that are, at the moment, destined to fail might appear on the surface to be pointless, but it is a necessary part of an overall strategy to change our gun-happy culture.

Reply to this post

Response to corkhead (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 04:10 PM

8. There you go. "I don't support the NRA but..."

"We are helpless to create change, we are silly to think the NRA is not all powerful, there is nothing that can be done."

I am so tired of that nonsense. And it is so frequently said, always in almost identical words. It makes me go "hmmm...."

Reply to this post

Response to Squinch (Reply #8)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 04:59 PM

9. I'm assuming you meant to reply to the OP, not me

Reply to this post

Response to corkhead (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:31 PM

11. Yes, sorry. I was agreeing with you.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:46 PM

4. How sad that you're so afraid.

But the NRA is a pimple on America's ass and needs to be excised. Pretending that they have power of the American People is foolish.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 01:05 PM

5. One could target their non-gun corporate supporters / business's

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 01:33 PM

6. The NRA is not impervious to attack when they are dead wrong!

We should attack the NRA and any companies who donate money to them, their power can be eroded due to their stance against common sense. Over time they can be weakened and marginalized, so long as we don't try to take away all guns.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 01:55 PM

7. trigger locks & gunsafes

mojo: I own one fire arm which is a relic that was passed down from my Great Grandfather, I have never fired it, so not even sure if it will work, but I support gun regulations.

Do what I used to do when I owned a rifle (two guns my entire life, none now, I've been 'gunfree' for over 10 years now, & did it cold turkey, no gunnuts anonymous classes (as in My name is pierre, & I'm a gun nut).
..oh, what I used to do, sorry; using a shovel turn over some dirt in your back yard away from onlookers & people & pets, check for rocks, & shoot the gun into the dirt to find out if it works, angling it away from you of course. Find your caliber first, & check with walmart clerk if unsure. Or take it to police station & find out if they can check it, maybe.

We decided to research buying a fire arm and if we did purchase one then we would require both ourselves, as well as our two daughters to attend a gun safety class if we should decide to purchase a gun.

Excellent; one further suggestion would be to purchase trigger locks & keep ammo & gun separate, &/or buy a gun safe or gun cabinet, safe preferred since cabinets easier to break into. Especially do this if your daughters are younger than say 16, which appears not the case if you want them taking gun safety classes, sound like near 20? I'm a guncontrol advocate for maybe 20 years &'ve been suggesting this all along to readers, if you have young children store the guns safely in safes or with trigger locks.
That washington DC gun law where all guns had to be trigger locked or dissassembled, which the nra & supreme court found unconstitutional, well for around 10 years DC did not have one child accidental gundeath amongst children under 14 yrs old (was still going last I checked about 5 yrs ago).

In the meantime, we have decided to purchase a large breed puppy (Bull Mastiff) to not only deter a criminal from entering our home, but also to be a loving friend for our two daughters.

Another good idea, tho I'm leery of the breed, how is a mastiff's reputation with people? I own one yapper & a mid sized brittany spaniel, both good watchdogs but wouldn't, couldn't hurt anyone, moreso not intruders, unless they barked them to death.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 05:09 PM

10. Hammer them on it, day and night.

The NRA won't take a serious stance. So BASH them publicly.

Most NRA members support some gun control measures ... let's get them to quit. Make them feel like they can HELP resolve the problem.
Give them a way to step forward. They have kids too.

Starve the NRA. If you are a member, quit!

Oh ... and be careful with the Gun, and the Dog.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread