HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Country vs. primaries

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 04:57 PM

Country vs. primaries

Yes, we know that our elected officials pledge to protect the constitutions. They should have the benefit of the country as their prime goal. But often the interest of their constituents prevail. Which, of course, is the reason why we have congressional districts. This is a reason why many protect earmarks - claiming that they know better what their districts needs. And, of course, on many occasions individual citizens need special help.

But when the Republicans crapped on their speaker because they fear "primary challenge" this is something else.

They do not question the benefits for the country. They do not even question the benefits for their constituents. Come to think of it, they being from red states, chances are their district gets more than it sends to the Federal government. Their constituents will suffer from the inaction than, say, middle and upper middle class people in California and New York.

But, no. The future of their political career it the most important criteria in their decision. They cannot just do the right thing. Stand up and say that this is what is good for the country, good for their district and if someone will challenge them in the primary, well they will have to accept the consequences. Wouldn't this will be an honorable role to offer?

3 replies, 533 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Country vs. primaries (Original post)
question everything Dec 2012 OP
question everything Dec 2012 #1
Filibuster Harry Dec 2012 #2
question everything Dec 2012 #3

Response to question everything (Original post)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 09:46 PM

1. I suupose they want to go back home and say that "there was nothing I could do"

Let the Bush tax cut expire and then bring them back, for the less than $250K crowd.

How pathetic.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to question everything (Original post)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:15 PM

2. Let's go off the cliff. I want to see how their constituents react? No really.

Keep up the obstructionism you damn Rs. Chicken shitters. Care more about being primaried than about this country. We need to print up T-shirts with the slogan: " I care more about Grover and the NRA than the USA" or "The people put me here but Grover and the NRA will keep me here" and mail them to these asshole Rs.

Reply to this post

Response to Filibuster Harry (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:35 PM

3. This has been my thought, too

Mostly because it will not affect us immediately.

But then I hear about many low income who will be affected immediately and I have to pose.

Two years ago, when Congress again, in the last minute extended the Bush cuts, I wrote my Senators to let them elapse but got one reply how the senator was strongly opposed to raising taxes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread