HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Not enough of us letting ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 05:33 PM

Not enough of us letting our government know we're against this pro-Israel all the time stance

Last edited Sun Dec 23, 2012, 06:26 PM - Edit history (2)

I have long questioned our government's pro-Israel stance on everything Israel does. For too long we have allowed our government, in our name, to make statements backing Israel when they have continued doing things they should not be doing such as settlement expansion, starting wars in Lebanon, etc. I think it's time we think about formally ending some of our treaties which seem to allow Israel to do as it pleases while we sit back and do or say nothing which, in effect, means we're condoning it. Now that President Obama is possibly considering Chuck Hagel for the new Secretary of Defense, I think it is important that we back him up by letting our senators and the president know that he is a good choice. We need to fight back against AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee) which is basically a neocon-like committee that believes America should explicitly back Israel in all it's affairs. At this moment, AIPAC is on the attack against Chuck Hagel -- they are lobbying our members of congress and bad mouthing him because they fear that he would actually stand up to this pro-Israel all the time stance that we have held basically since the State of Israel was founded.

10 replies, 1249 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Not enough of us letting our government know we're against this pro-Israel all the time stance (Original post)
xxxsdesdexxx Dec 2012 OP
Indykatie Dec 2012 #1
indepat Dec 2012 #2
magical thyme Dec 2012 #3
madrchsod Dec 2012 #4
byeya Dec 2012 #8
hexola Dec 2012 #10
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #5
believeinhope Dec 2012 #6
DavidDvorkin Dec 2012 #9
Sunlei Dec 2012 #7

Response to xxxsdesdexxx (Original post)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 05:52 PM

1. I support All PBO Nominations Because I Trust His Judgement

I believe PBO will stick with Hagel if he wants the job. If AIPAC is against it that only strengthens my support for the Hagel nomination. I too would like to see more balance in what seems to me our unquestioning and unconditional support for Israel related polices though that may be a minority view here at DU. It will be interesting to see what comments your post generate. Netanyahu has voiced support for the choice though that may be his way of smoothing out some of the tension that may exist with PBO after his behavior during the election cycle. His statement of support was a bit of a surprise though he may feel that taking any different stance would probably only strengthen PBO's resolve on the matter.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 05:57 PM

2. The U.S. should support Israel when right, but should not put its national

existence on the line to support Israel in any endeavor in violation of international law or treaty or which would otherwise be a crime against humanity.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 06:13 PM

3. Agreed.

I completely support the appointment of Hagel for Sec of Defense.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 09:44 PM

4. the usa will never back away from Israel.

the christian fundamental rapture folks , aipac , and others will always support israel.
i remember when christian fundamentalists and republicans hated the jews. funny how times have changed.

Reply to this post

Response to madrchsod (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:33 AM

8. I think the Fundys still hate Jewish people but the Fundys need the restoratiion of Israel for their

myth to take hold and the 2nd coming of Jesus to occur. Of course, all the Jews will be killed at that time.

So: I am pretty sure Fundys hate Jews, they just need them for fulfillment of prophecy.

Selah!

Reply to this post

Response to byeya (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:41 PM

10. Well - now that the've figured out how much gun control Israel has...

The fundies might cool off a bit...

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 08:43 AM

5. Let's play Hagel Mad Libs! Do you know Mad Libs? The word replacement game!

First you take a Hagel quote, then you replace key words with other words, to hilarious result! Let's start with this one:

“They are representing America. They are representing our lifestyle, our values, our standards. And I think it is an inhibiting factor to be gay — openly, aggressively gay like Mr. Hormel — to do an effective job.”
Now we remove the word 'gay'.
“They are representing America. They are representing our lifestyle, our values, our standards. And I think it is an inhibiting factor to be ____ — openly, aggressively ___ like Mr. Hormel — to do an effective job.”

Now we replace the missing word with names for other minorities. Let's start with 'Muslim'.
“They are representing America. They are representing our lifestyle, our values, our standards. And I think it is an inhibiting factor to be Muslim — openly, aggressively Muslim like Mr. Hormel — to do an effective job.”

Now, let's do 'Christian'!
“They are representing America. They are representing our lifestyle, our values, our standards. And I think it is an inhibiting factor to be Christian — openly, aggressively Christian like Mr. Hormel — to do an effective job.”

Other possible words to insert: feminist, Jewish, liberal, religious, atheistic....you get the idea!
How fun is this! Come up with examples of your own!
Mad Libs- The Shoe On the Other Foot Game of Word Replacement!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 08:59 AM

6. One question

Could you name some of the "treaties" the US has ratified which allow Israel to do as it pleases?

Just wondering which ones you had in mind

Reply to this post

Response to believeinhope (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:34 PM

9. Don't hold your breath

waiting for an answer.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:28 AM

7. You can let the President know right here. There is a webform, phone numbers.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/

Personally I support our policies in place with our allies. I also think Israel needs to get their border in place, finish the recomended 'land swaps' and let the Pal. people have their own country. They will HAVE TO share Jerusalem like it IS shared today.

The other countries bordering, also should GIVE some of their unused desert land to the Pal. people so their country isn't so tiny and over populated.

Just like any country if they lob missles into another country they will get a beat-down they deserve. And we back our Allies.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread