HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » The real reason the right...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:54 AM

The real reason the rightwing wants all these military weapons is to kill Democrats

The real reason the rightwing wants all these military weapons is to kill Democrats. If it was about a tyrannical government they sure were quite supportive of Bush/Cheney. No, their idea of a tyrannical government is Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi. If this sounds over the top, just look at America's long history of the right using using guns to kill and intimidate blacks, Hispanics, Asians, LGBT, Jews, Muslims, unions, basically the whole Democratic coalition. Women have suffered disproportionately to this day from husbands, boyfriends and pimps using guns to to intimidate them.

The answer is to beat them in 2014 elections and start rolling back their arsenal.

23 replies, 2448 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply The real reason the rightwing wants all these military weapons is to kill Democrats (Original post)
MightyMopar Dec 2012 OP
riverbendviewgal Dec 2012 #1
drm604 Dec 2012 #4
cantbeserious Dec 2012 #8
Recursion Dec 2012 #14
riverbendviewgal Dec 2012 #10
Recursion Dec 2012 #13
LongTomH Dec 2012 #16
jberryhill Dec 2012 #2
brewens Dec 2012 #3
cantbeserious Dec 2012 #7
samsingh Dec 2012 #5
cantbeserious Dec 2012 #6
DBoon Dec 2012 #9
Jeff In Milwaukee Dec 2012 #11
LongTomH Dec 2012 #15
Mojorabbit Dec 2012 #18
xxxsdesdexxx Dec 2012 #12
MightyMopar Dec 2012 #17
Superbot Dec 2012 #19
Flabbergasted Dec 2012 #20
Resonance_Chamber Dec 2012 #22
Resonance_Chamber Dec 2012 #21
NewJeffCT Dec 2012 #23

Response to MightyMopar (Original post)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:58 AM

1. the Oath keepers preparing for this

They won't be defending the Democrats. Google them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:31 AM

4. I just Googled it.

They sound like another paranoid militia group, and an especially dangerous one at that.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2010/03/oath-keepers
THE .50 CALIBER Bushmaster bolt action rifle is a serious weapon. The model that Pvt. 1st Class Lee Pray is saving up for has a 2,500-yard range and comes with a Mark IV scope and an easy-load magazine. When the 25-year-old drove me to a mall in Watertown, New York, near the Fort Drum Army base, he brought me to see it in its glass case—he visits it periodically, like a kid coveting something at the toy store. It'll take plenty of military paychecks to cover the $5,600 price tag, but he considers the Bushmaster essential in his preparations to take on the US government when it declares martial law.

His belief that that day is imminent has led Pray to a group called Oath Keepers, one of the fastest-growing "patriot" organizations on the right. Founded last April by Yale-educated lawyer and ex-Ron Paul aide Stewart Rhodes, the group has established itself as a hub in the sprawling anti-Obama movement that includes Tea Partiers, Birthers, and 912ers. Glenn Beck, Lou Dobbs, and Pat Buchanan have all sung its praises, and in December, a grassroots summit it helped organize drew such prominent guests as representatives Phil Gingrey and Paul Broun, both Georgia Republicans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_Keepers

Reply to this post

Response to drm604 (Reply #4)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:44 AM

8. Ah Shucks, I Thought This Was A Passive Group Of White Folk Praising The Lord And Studying The Bible

eom

Reply to this post

Response to cantbeserious (Reply #8)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 07:13 PM

14. The "oath" they refer to is I assume their oath of enlistment

Maybe there's a sinister side to the organization, but it seems like a good idea for military and LEOs to think about orders they would not obey.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 05:25 PM

10. very bad

I am on different computer so can give you his link. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2010/03/oath-keepers

Oath Keepers and the Age of Treason
Glenn Beck loves them. Tea Partiers court them. Congressmen listen to them. Meet the fast-growing "patriot" group that's recruiting soldiers to resist the Obama administration.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 07:12 PM

13. By and large, DU seemed to praise servicemembers who refused to deploy to Iraq

And, just looking up their "prohibited orders" now, I can't say that sounds very bad:

http://oathkeepers.org/oath/2009/03/03/declaration-of-orders-we-will-not-obey/

1. We will NOT obey orders to disarm the American people.

2. We will NOT obey orders to conduct warrantless searches of the American people

3. We will NOT obey orders to detain American citizens as “unlawful enemy combatants” or to subject them to military tribunal.

4. We will NOT obey orders to impose martial law or a “state of emergency” on a state.

5. We will NOT obey orders to invade and subjugate any state that asserts its sovereignty.

6. We will NOT obey any order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps.

7. We will NOT obey any order to force American citizens into any form of detention camps under any pretext.

8. We will NOT obey orders to assist or support the use of any foreign troops on U.S. soil against the American people to “keep the peace” or to “maintain control."

9. We will NOT obey any orders to confiscate the property of the American people, including food and other essential supplies.

10.We will NOT obey any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 07:50 PM

16. .50 caliber weapons were intended for snipers, they could also make perfect assassin's weapons!

The .50 round could easily penetrate most forms of body armor and maybe even bulletproof cars.

It's insane that we allow something like this to be sold openly and legally in the United States.

Edited to add: I did a quick search for information on .50 caliber weapons that turned up a number of sites advertising '50 caliber ammunition for sale.'

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:03 AM

2. The first time Americans got excited about "gun control"...

Was when Huey Newton and others suggested African Americans avail themselves of the availability of guns in this country.

That's why you could have "law and order" Republicans discussing things like banning handguns.

However, since there was no good way to come up with a policy that primarily took guns away from African Americans, it was easier to establish white suburban enclaves where each house could be an armed fortress, and there would be plenty of warning if the wrong sort of people invaded.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:06 AM

3. It'd be nice to get the Koch brothers on video saying what they really think about all

the guns. Any other of the big players would be nice as well. They are happy to have all the half-wits on their side for now, but eventually, they have to be afraid they will wise up. Then the ones with guns will be a threat.

Could anyone get a tour of Bain Capitol and be allowed to go in packing? I kind of doubt it.

Reply to this post

Response to brewens (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:43 AM

7. They Would Hide Behind The 2nd Amendment

eom

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:36 AM

5. we can shoot back - we're not victims

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:42 AM

6. What Else Should We Expect From A Disturbed Group That Still Believe In A Leave It To Beaver America

eom

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:49 AM

9. You mean like this?

Reply to this post

Response to DBoon (Reply #9)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 06:01 PM

11. I don't think I'm catching the subtle imagery of this post (nt)

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 07:46 PM

15. Google on the word: Eliminationism

Start with the Wikipedia article.

Definitely read Paul Krugman's 2011 NY Times article, posted after the Gabby Giffords shooting:

Of course, the likes of Mr. Beck and Mr. O’Reilly are responding to popular demand. Citizens of other democracies may marvel at the American psyche, at the way efforts by mildly liberal presidents to expand health coverage are met with cries of tyranny and talk of armed resistance. Still, that’s what happens whenever a Democrat occupies the White House, and there’s a market for anyone willing to stoke that anger.

But even if hate is what many want to hear, that doesn’t excuse those who pander to that desire. They should be shunned by all decent people.

Unfortunately, that hasn’t been happening: the purveyors of hate have been treated with respect, even deference, by the G.O.P. establishment. As David Frum, the former Bush speechwriter, has put it, “Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us and now we’re discovering we work for Fox.”

Blogger and journalist David Niewert frequently posts articles on eliminationism on his Orcinus blog. He's also the author of: The Eliminationists: How Hate Talk Radicalized the American Right

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 07:00 PM

18. These people are one of the reasons I am armed. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 07:06 PM

12. I disagree with the premise

While there may be some right wingers who would want to do such things, I don't think there is some elaborate plan or scheme by them to do so, and no I'm not a right winger. I just don't like hyperbole.

Reply to this post

Response to xxxsdesdexxx (Reply #12)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 12:22 AM

19. I agree

If it were the case, and there are 10's of millions of assualt rifles out there, democrates would be extinct. Kind of a dumb statement by the OP.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 02:20 AM

20. When Rwrs talk about guns vs a tyrannical govt they mean the liberal govt ie liberals. Nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 04:14 AM

22. Spend a day with some RW Gun Nuts and you will be

singing a different tune.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 04:12 AM

21. RWers Armed to the teeth is why I own guns

More precisely there are too many Conservative, Rethuglicans, TeaHadists and religious nutters running around with guns, I view my gun ownership as my individual MAD.

IMHO anyone with any concerns about RWers can decide how they want to prepare and prevent RWers from using them, I have made my chioce and I wil be sticking with it.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:37 AM

23. I think a lot of it is rural white folks

arming themselves to protect themselves from the threat of black men.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread