HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Some concerns with the Af...

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:17 PM

Some concerns with the Affordable Care Act.

So here's something I heard today that has me worried about Obamacare.

While I'm happy to see more people being covered, or forced to have coverage, It doesn't seem we did anything about the skyrocketing costs, we just make sure more people (or their insurance companies) get to pay those skyrocketing costs.

For instance, I was told a few facts today that hit me by surprise....

Many hospitals are set up as non-profits. When in reality they are set up that way so that they can bypass paying taxes that a traditional for-profit organization would have to pay. Then these hospital groups go around and gobble up other for profit hospitals and turn them non-profit. What happens then? All of those taxes paid into the community where that hospital was located goes away. This seems like a big time scam. I heard it from a pretty reputable source who is a very smart, straight talking CEO of a few healthcare companies including a Lab I'm associated with.

Next, I heard that depending on where services are performed, reimbursement can greatly differ. Get chest scan at a local independent physicians office, they bill insurance at a certain rate. Go have that same procedure performed at a hospital, by the same doctor, that hospital can bill 5-10 times as much and still get reimbursed. Knowing this, hospitals are buying out all of these independent physicians to control the market and make sure if you need to have one of these procedures, they are done in one of their hospitals, where they can get massive profits. This to me seems like another huge scam.

So, in general, I want to see Obamacare succeed but I don't see us being happy until we find a way to control costs. We cant have flaws like this in the system that allows large organizations to game the system like this.

What do you think? Am I missing some details or specifics in the ACA that may help with this or is this just a sad fact at this current point in time?

Keep progressive, keep an open mind, keep defeating ignorance.

-yeswecanandwedid (two times now)

3 replies, 495 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Some concerns with the Affordable Care Act. (Original post)
yeswecanandwedid Dec 2012 OP
Hoyt Dec 2012 #1
1StrongBlackMan Dec 2012 #2
FogerRox Dec 2012 #3

Response to yeswecanandwedid (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:24 PM

1. Actually it did. There is much more emphasis on paying for outcomes, not just number of services

performed which has greatly increased the cost of current system. Physician and hospitals are being forced to work differently. In almost every city, hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare professionals are combining into these systems.

Also the loss ration will help keep premiums down, and the exchanges will ensure competition among insurers. The fact that pre-existing condition exclusions end in 2014 basically means a person can move from insurer to insurer based upon price. That competition will help keep costs down (although not as much perhaps as single payer).

But, there is a whole lot more that needs to be, and can be, done.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:39 PM

2. So your concern ...

is NOT, so much, about ObamaCare; but rather, things ObamaCare doesn't/was designed to touch?

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:51 PM

3. reputable source Muwahhaha srsly WTF should I do with an OP like this without a single citatation.

Essentially youre repeating gossip. Please dont insult me or my friends.

How can I take your OP seriously, I cant & I wont.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread