HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Source: White House Had A...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:18 PM

Source: White House Had A Hand In Booker's Decision

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rubycramer/white-house-had-a-hand-in-bookers-decision

Source: White House Had A Hand In Booker's Decision

The Obama administration “convinced him to run for Senate” instead of governor, a source tells BuzzFeed. But a primary against Lautenberg would be “an unpleasant episode.”
Ruby Cramer BuzzFeed Staff

Posted Dec 20, 2012 12:12pm EST

New Jersey state Democrats were disappointed Thursday morning to learn that Newark Mayor Cory Booker had made an official decision to opt out of the 2013 gubernatorial race.

A senior New Jersey official told BuzzFeed that Booker's choice to run for Senate in 2014 instead — issuing a potential primary challenge to current senior Senator Frank Lautenberg — was influenced in large part by the White House.

snip//

If Sen. Lautenberg goes not give up his seat, Booker would have to challenge the senior Senator in a Democratic primary. Lautenberg would be 90 years old running for a six-year term in 2014, were he to run for reelection, but is still not expected to step down, say state officials.

"Frank has not spoken at all about his intention to retire, and the Senate race is more than 13 months away, which in New Jersey politics is 13 lifetimes," said N.J. Democrat.

A Democratic primary, said the source, "would be an unpleasant episode for New Jersey."

White House and Democratic National Committee officials didn't immediately respond to an inquiry about Christie's decision.

10 replies, 1418 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:23 PM

1. Not happening in a vacuum though

I can't believe the WH and Booker would not have already talked to Lautenberg. The path is probably already cleared.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:27 PM

2. Weird. Why don't they want him to run against Christie again?

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:50 PM

4. I can think of two reasons.

1.) Not running for governor ends any near-term chance of Booker running for President. It probably ends any ever term chances for Booker to run for President. It does however give us a savvy young politician in a long-term Democratic seat capable of holding that seat for decades.

2.) Clear the decks for a Christie Presidential run on the expectation that Christie would get his ass handed to him by any competent Democrat capable of calm responses to Christie's verbal-bullying and blowhardiness. Further, Christie's nomination would demoralize most of the fringe bases the GOP needs to win in 2016. By 2020, it's all over for this iteration of the GOP...they need to evolve to a new platform or they'll lose broadly.

Reply to this post

Response to Chan790 (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 02:54 PM

6. There was NEVER a "near-term chance" of Booker running for President...

...a small-City Mayor (Newark has a smaller population than Wichita, KS) wasn't going to get elected Governor, serve two years and then start running for the 2016 Presidential nominal.

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #6)

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 07:00 PM

10. That's what they said about Obama

Reply to this post

Response to Chan790 (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:20 AM

9. The other question is whether Christie would run for reelection or decide to start campaigning

and fundraising right after his term ends. Then the NJ governors race could be potentially more interesting if someone is recruited with name recognition. I'm not so sure Booker could pull that off. A run in 2016 gives him 4 more years to build for a senate run.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:49 PM

3. Bullshit article - Lautenberg was NOT running again. The report is written to cause a rift and

put the blame on the WH.

Reply to this post

Response to blm (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 02:10 PM

5. He already retired once in 2000

when he was only 76, and then came back to be reelected when Democrats needed an emergency replacement in 2002. He certainly has earned some time to enjoy retirement.

Reply to this post

Response to blm (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:29 PM

7. I haven't read anywhere that he has no plans to run again.

Got a link? I tried to find one, but no dice.

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:25 PM

8. I heard it here in Charlotte during Convention.

And someone in the press had to have heard it, too. Maybe no one would go on the record with it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread