HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Senator Ted Kennedy Jr.?
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:51 AM

Senator Ted Kennedy Jr.?

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2012/12/senator-ted-kennedy-jr.html

The Boston Herald reports that top Massachusetts Democrats are urging Edward Kennedy Jr. to submit himself to replace Sen. John Kerry, who will likely succeed Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State.

“Several people have approached (Kennedy) about running,” said the source. “They are all mindful that his name is Edward M. Kennedy.” If Teddy Jr. runs, it will be the first time the Edward M. Kennedy name has been on the ballot since the liberal lion last ran in 2006. He died in 2009. The Kennedy name still carries tremendous political clout in Massachusetts and if Teddy Kennedy Jr. jumped in, he likely would clear the Democratic field. U.S. Representatives Edward Markey, Michael Capuano and Steven Lynch all are considering a run for the Senate seat. U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz and Attorney General Martha Coakley also are potential Democratic candidates.

Soon-to-be former Sen. Scott Brown is expected to enter the special election. According to the above-linked article, insiders believe that only someone with the famed Kennedy name could beat Brown.

8 replies, 1072 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Senator Ted Kennedy Jr.? (Original post)
warrior1 Dec 2012 OP
Panasonic Dec 2012 #1
MotherPetrie Dec 2012 #2
Is That All There Is Dec 2012 #3
FrenchieCat Dec 2012 #4
FrenchieCat Dec 2012 #5
erpowers Dec 2012 #6
FrenchieCat Dec 2012 #7
sarcasmo Dec 2012 #8

Response to warrior1 (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:58 AM

1. The coveted Kennedy seat is Warren's now.

It would be the Kerry seat that the special election would occur for.

I would not mind a Kennedy returning to the Senate and become our next lion.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:58 AM

2. Some info about Ted Kennedy, Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_M._Kennedy,_Jr.

http://www.ctmirror.org/story/7973/ted-kennedy-jr-raises-profile-has-no-plans-run

I remember when he lost part of his leg to cancer.

The thought of him following in his father's footsteps in the Senate makes me tear up.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:39 PM

3. Beers in your eyes

will be more like it. He is a Little Lord Fountleroy spoiled his whole life (1%er as he should be called). With zero credibility and lots of addictions, and you want him in the Senate. You also mean to believe that there is no one else in that State who could some day be a great leader for his people. I thought we over thru the King, now you want to continue with a practice strait out of the House of Lords. De-Facto Inherited positions. Remember their are lots of Bush' still left out there as well, and the have a better winning streak then the Kennedy's do.

Reply to this post

Response to Is That All There Is (Reply #3)

Response to Is That All There Is (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:16 PM

5. Cause losing one's leg as a young boy to cancer

makes one like a Little Lord Fountleroy spoiled his whole life. Just wow!

Reply to this post

Response to FrenchieCat (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:33 PM

6. Doesn't Mean He Was Not Spoiled

I will not make a big deal about whether or not Edward Kennedy Jr. was spoiled. His father and whole family were in the 1% and they have fought for people outside the 1%. I do not doubt that Kennedy Jr. could do the same thing. However, just because he lost a leg when he was young does not mean he was not spoiled. I will acknowledge though, that from what I heard about Edward Kennedy Sr. he might have at least taught his kids to be compassionate towards those with less.

Even so, Democrats in Massachusetts should look for someone other than Kennedy Jr. at this point. I believe that if the Democrats work hard just about anyone in Massachusetts can beat Scott Brown if he decides to run again. As this article makes clear Massachusetts Democrats have many options when it comes to John Kerry's Senate seat. They should look into those options.

Reply to this post

Response to erpowers (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:59 PM

7. Thank you for your infinite knowledge on this person's life.....

My young nephew was treated for stage 4 cancer at age 18 months.....
and is still being seen at St. Jude on a regular basis at now, age 9 years old.

Suffering pain and being left with a serious disability at a young age is much more painful than suffering such
as a grown up. It does alter one's perception of the world, period, as folks who suffer such have a tendency
of being much more empathetic to the plight of others suffering based on situations out of their control.

It is sad to have to reply to one who would so easily passes judgment as to who someone is. Personally, I don't necessarily
believe that you are qualified to the task you have so selfishly given to yourself. I think that having an opinion is one thing....
but stating it as though it must be a fact is quite another thing.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:30 PM

8. Kick!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread