HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Romney's Transition Effor...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:17 AM

Romney's Transition Effort was Unprecedented

According to documents acquired by Time, the cost of Mitt Romney's transition effort -- the planning that took place in case he became president -- cost around $8.9 million with roughly 500 staffers. The entire operation was shut down the Friday after the election.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/12/20/romneys_transition_effort_was_unprecedented.html

So sure he was going to win. I wonder if Queen Ann has finally accepted it?

19 replies, 1772 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Romney's Transition Effort was Unprecedented (Original post)
WI_DEM Dec 2012 OP
exboyfil Dec 2012 #1
Proud Liberal Dem Dec 2012 #3
GoCubsGo Dec 2012 #5
NewJeffCT Dec 2012 #2
politicaljunkie41910 Dec 2012 #6
karynnj Dec 2012 #9
russspeakeasy Dec 2012 #16
NewJeffCT Dec 2012 #17
Botany Dec 2012 #4
WI_DEM Dec 2012 #7
Botany Dec 2012 #8
brooklynite Dec 2012 #13
awake Dec 2012 #10
NewJeffCT Dec 2012 #18
yellowcanine Dec 2012 #11
brooklynite Dec 2012 #12
brooklynite Dec 2012 #14
politicaljunkie41910 Dec 2012 #15
savalez Dec 2012 #19

Response to WI_DEM (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:24 AM

1. Why did he wait until Friday?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to exboyfil (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:32 AM

3. That's what I was wondering

He canceled his staffer's credit cards the second he made his concession speech.

Reply to this post

Response to Proud Liberal Dem (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:36 AM

5. Just making sure the guys at the top got paid.

Like some in the comments pointed out, the whole campaign is looking more and more like a scam to fleece republicans out of their money. It's what happens when you have greedy people who are also highly deluded.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:27 AM

2. I'm just amazed

that he was so disconnected from reality, and that nobody on his staff had the courage to tell him otherwise. Nobody in the RW media was spouting realistic information that Romney was behind in most polls? It really is an alternate universe.

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:57 AM

6. By all accounts, the campaign staff was deluded as well.

They all drank the same kool-aid that the polls were distorted and the election was a referendum on President Obama. Besides in the waining days the Romney crowds had grown from the a couple thousand at most to the high single digit high thousands and this was a sign to them that Romney was winning. Never mind that President Obama had those types of numbers at every campaign stop.

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:06 AM

9. They were looking at trends that made them optimist

because they opted not believe that the upward trend ended with the VP debate and actually slowly started to reverse after the first Presidential debate. They also likely thought the swing states would move to the "popular vote winner" and before the VP debate (Romney's high point), they were pretty much tied. The fact that Gallup, which at one time was the gold standard of polling, was really really bad in 2010 and 2012. They really need to work on their LV screen.

Though EVEN RCP always showed Romney loosing too many states, they did in the weeks after the first debate show Romney moving up and making enough of them close enough to be winnable. Remember that there were some really questionable outfits polling - so some of their hope was that those polls were the ones that were right. Remember the impact of seeing Obama deal with Hurricane Sandy were too late for almost all state polls.

This election ended up far less close than would have been realistically assumed in -say- June.

Imagine if the idiot Fehrstrumn did not use the words "etch a sketch". I would bet that they would have quietly moved left faster, rather than at the first debate.

I think that, in itself, would have helped his numbers before his convention. Then, if Republicans thought he would win, I would bet that Christie and Rubio might have actually used their speeches to help him - or at least Romney would have been strong enough to vet both speeches. If he was doing better, I doubt the high stakes - in the plumest of plum time Eastman nonsense would not have happened and the videos made showing the compassionate Mitt (that was never otherwise seen) would have preceded Romney. All of these COULD have led to at least some boost for the convention.

What they had no control of was Obama's excellent convention and Romney's 47% tape coming out. That tape really shifted things more than either convention. I would bet that it also made Romney jump on the Cario embassy statement. Had he been silent, he, like Obama would have had statesman like comments on the deaths in Benghazi -- and he could have benefited by McCain's arguments that the State department botched this. (I suspect that Romney's jumping in before all was known almost inoculated Obama from the issue - as it disgusted so many.

I think inside the bubble, they likely downplayed the impact of the mistakes and missed that the country was more interested in economic/financial issues that would be impacted by a President and the people around him thinking 47% of the country were (undeserving) takers than they were in Libya.. To all of us, the optics of that are obvious. But, it played to a Fox theme that Democrats win only because they give things for free to people (meaning the wrong people - not the bankers etc.)

My point is that Romney ran an awful campaign, but the landscape for Obama was so tough that even with the clown show primaries and that campaign, even a month before, it was not an obvious blowout. Obama, in addition to his real accomplishments and who he is, also benefited by a very good campaign infrastructure in the swing states.

I suspect the final thoughts on 2012 is that with a good candidate and a good campaign, the Republicans could have won. Had they done so, they would have gotten credit for the economic revival that was already well started - as Clinton did in the early 1990s - giving undeserved credence to their economic theories. ACA would likely have been gutted.

Reply to this post

Response to karynnj (Reply #9)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:44 AM

16. I read your post twice. And enjoyed it both times. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Response to karynnj (Reply #9)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:53 AM

17. thanks - good response

I agree that Obama's campaign infrastructure was a big help, and the fact that Romney was an uninspiring candidate who ran a poor campaign also helped. None of the Republicans who actually ran for president were good candidates, though. Rubio was still too much of a novice, Christie wasn't quite ready, Jeb Bush was only 4 years removed from his brother, etc.

However, it seems incredible to me that nobody was a voice of reason among his entire staff - nobody said, "hey wait, Nate Silver was right in 2008 and in 2010..." Probably makes him even less qualified to be president if his entire staff was that deluded.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:34 AM

4. Is this legit or just internet rumor?

Reply to this post

Response to Botany (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:59 AM

7. Apparently it was in TIME magazine and according to what I posted

they have documents.

Reply to this post

Response to WI_DEM (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:05 AM

8. thanx

n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:07 AM

10. For a "Money Man" he seems to have no idea of how to manage money

What a bunch of Bull Shit he tried to sell us about how he knew how to manage the economy.

Reply to this post

Response to awake (Reply #10)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:09 AM

18. Didn't a bunch of staffers have their campaign credit cards closed

sometime on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning, not long after Romney conceded?

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:18 AM

11. 8.9 million is chump change for a 1% such as Mitt. Besides, he could use campaign $.

And I am sure that Ann will go to her grave convinced that she should have been the FLOTUS, never mind what the American people thought.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:23 AM

12. What were they doing on Thursday?

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:28 AM

14. I guess you could say Romney was a "job creator"...

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:34 AM

15. Unprecedented and supports the theory that he only reason

the deficit decrying GOP quietly approved and funded this "unprecedented" wasteful spending, which no one ever heard about until after the election was over, because they were so certain they were going to win and wanted to be ready to go on November 7. Unbelievable that they were able to get away with it, and I'm glad that Romney spent like a drunken sailor. That way they won't complain when Hillary sets into place for her transition team.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 02:42 PM

19. 8 Million was probably new furniture for the WH.

Oh, and a car elevator.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread