HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » MI Lawmaker Didnít Read T...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 02:37 AM

MI Lawmaker Didnít Read The Anti-Abortion Bill He Voted For, But Heís Confident Itís Not About Women

Michigan Lawmaker Didnít Read The Anti-Abortion Bill He Voted For, But Heís Confident Itís Not About Women

-snip-

RH Reality Check flags an account from Emily Magner, who brought a group of her social work students to Lansing to discuss HB 5711 with their state legislators in late November. Magner recounts the conversation she had with state Sen. Howard Walker (R) ó who ended up voting for the measure in early December ó in which he admitted he initially threw his support behind the bill without reading it first:

We went on to talk specifically about how this bill will harm Michigan women, disproportionately women living in rural areas like ours. After we brought up a few of these points he put up his hands and said that he couldnít really speak to those topics Ö he had not read the bill.

In front of him was a one paragraph synopsis I assume was from the Right to Life special interest organization who drafted the bill. (...)

We spoke with him for 20 minutes, the whole time he was dismissive, misinformed, and rude. When his handler told him, ď5 more minutes,Ē I told him that I would never ask him to change his beliefs on abortion, I would protect his right to believe whatever he wanted, but I did want him to consider the harmful implications that this legislation would have on women and consider his ethical obligation to his field to leave his personal views at the door.

Before I could finish my sentence, he waved his hand dismissively and interrupted, ďTHIS ISNíT ABOUT WOMEN! THIS IS ABOUT PROTECTING FETUSES!Ē

-snip-

Full article here: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/12/19/1362601/michigan-lawmaker-anti-abortion-protect-women/

The 'War on Women' continues.

5 replies, 876 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply MI Lawmaker Didnít Read The Anti-Abortion Bill He Voted For, But Heís Confident Itís Not About Women (Original post)
Tx4obama Dec 2012 OP
Warpy Dec 2012 #1
fizzgig Dec 2012 #2
demwing Dec 2012 #3
catbyte Dec 2012 #4
sinkingfeeling Dec 2012 #5

Response to Tx4obama (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:17 AM

1. I'm amazed by how easily these bastards erase us

from all things relating to childbirth. I guess we're just orifices that conveniently clean house to that sort of man.

Now you know why I live with a cat.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:19 AM

2. i was expecting an onion article

sad and scary that it wasn't

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 06:33 AM

3. 100% Dumbfuckery

My teenage son could perform the job more effectively and more maturely.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 07:17 AM

4. Asshole. We are chattel. Empty vessels. Brood mares carrying a "precious miracle"

until, of course, the fetus shoots down the old birth canal, then it becomes a tax-sucking drain on society, despised for being born poor and denied adequate health, nutrition, and education. Fucking paternalistic bastards. Today's Republican party is the most evil, despicable entity ever inflicted upon the American people.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:36 AM

5. Amazing that living, breathing, mothers and wives aren't as important as his beloved,

god-like fetuses.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread